PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos-Chargers

One thing that stood out is the difference at safety. Having a legit S2/SS like Ward, instead of a weakness like Adams (or Chung, if you want to compare with what people here will know), makes that back line much more formidable.

Personally I would use Browner on J Thomas, Revis on D Thomas, Denard on Sanders, Arrington on Welker.

Can we please stop this bull. In the short week they had the second worst case scenario happen in losing Mayo. Losing any other player other than Brady would have been better. See how they do this week before crucifying them. You think the Patriots would have been able to move down the field at will against whatever team has the 32nd rated pass defense if TB12 was out? Why are we expecting the team to be able to magically continue chugging along when we lost the guy that calls the defensive plays 4 days prior to the match up. Last year Hightower said that while he knew that he would call plays when Mayo is not there, he was not expected to know how to change plays initially.

However, my guess is that you will not read any of the above, and continue in the campaign of "our defense sucks!!?!" and nothing anyone says will ever change your mind. Therefore, carry on.

which is why I said i am cautiously optimistic. i never said the D sucks. In fact I think they can it around, BUT let's not kid ourselves...they played poorly against Miami, KC and the Jets. That might not be relevant two months from now, but it is now. It sounds like you are making a ton of excuses.

Can we please stop this bull. In the short week they had the second worst case scenario happen in losing Mayo. Losing any other player other than Brady would have been better. See how they do this week before crucifying them. You think the Patriots would have been able to move down the field at will against whatever team has the 32nd rated pass defense if TB12 was out? Why are we expecting the team to be able to magically continue chugging along when we lost the guy that calls the defensive plays 4 days prior to the match up. Last year Hightower said that while he knew that he would call plays when Mayo is not there, he was not expected to know how to change plays initially.

However, my guess is that you will not read any of the above, and continue in the campaign of "our defense sucks!!?!" and nothing anyone says will ever change your mind. Therefore, carry on.

Your argument would carry more weight if the Patriots hadn't played both the Dolphins and Chiefs games with Mayo, as well as the Jets game without him.

which is why I said i am cautiously optimistic. i never said the D sucks. In fact I think they can it around, BUT let's not kid ourselves...they played poorly against Miami, KC and the Jets. That might not be relevant two months from now, but it is now. It sounds like you are making a ton of excuses.

I'm not sure Miami and KC are all the relevant at this point. Clearly something was ailing the team that they appear to have gotten past. And even the Jets aren't all that predictive, considering the team won't play another game on the heels of losing their signal caller with only three days to game plan and recuperate.

More evidence is needed before drawing any predictive conclusions.

And now the pot is calling the kettle black. You should heed your own words in your previous post. But my "****ty choice of words" isn't what prompted your original response to me. It can't be because my choice of words were absolutely apt when it comes to the defensive gameplan against the Jets. I have a feeling it was something else that I posted in another thread because, otherwise, this is way too random and you're reaching way too much. So, pray tell, what was it that prompted you to engage me in a pissing contest unprovoked?

How am I reaching? And how am I trying to engage you in a pissing contest unprovoked?

How is my post any different than this:

Personally I consider my post to be a more respectful version of the post that I've quoted above.

****ified and ****ty.

No, I dont find those to be "absolutely apt" in describing the game plan of a game we won.

Just as I don't find the sentiment of what I was clearly trying to express as being some great, unprovoked attempt to draw you into a pissing contest or some personal attack because I didn't like what you wrote somewhere else.

Yes I used snark to counter what I consider to be your over the top criticism of a game we won.

But did I also not preface my original post with these two statements:

1. I agree with the gist of what you are saying.
2. You would be surprised at how often I agree with what you are saying.

Those statements were a gesture, a gesture of respect and goodwill. Hell ultimately I even acknowledged the validity of your points. The snark is about the degree in which you take them.

I'm not sure how many homers would even give you that to be honest.

Last edited:
Since when is DT too fast for browner? He looks pretty pedestrian to me. Put revis on Sanders and let browner get up in DT's brown eye for 5 yards to throw off 5heads timing. The pats aren't losing at home next week.. especially vs the denver mannings.

Since when is DT too fast for browner? He looks pretty pedestrian to me. Put revis on Sanders and let browner get up in DT's brown eye for 5 yards to throw off 5heads timing. The pats aren't losing at home next week.. especially vs the denver mannings.

DT is pedestrian? 4.38 is fast...Megatron is 4.35 and Julio Jones is 4.39.... would blow the doors off of Browner.

Personally I would use Browner on J Thomas, Revis on D Thomas, Denard on Sanders, Arrington on Welker.

Exactly how i would go.

You put Browner on DT like some are saying...he will have 150 yars plus

I'm not sure Miami and KC are all the relevant at this point. Clearly something was ailing the team that they appear to have gotten past. And even the Jets aren't all that predictive, considering the team won't play another game on the heels of losing their signal caller with only three days to game plan and recuperate.

More evidence is needed before drawing any predictive conclusions.

Or they haven't played RBs even close to Charles/Moreno. The closest one to them just went over 100 yards as well, but it was a "short week" as many say here, which apparently gives them the pass.

Either way, Forte is soon, let's see how they handle him.

DT is pedestrian? 4.38 is fast...Megatron is 4.35 and Julio Jones is 4.39.... would blow the doors off of Browner.
Yeah, but not Browner and McCourty. McCourty has the range and Browner can re-route him at the LOS. I think he'd still get his catches, but I don't think he'd dominate. Revis would completely lock down Sanders. He would be a ghost. The Broncos would have to beat us with Welker and Julius Thomas through the air. Still two very tough match-ups but they aren't lethal like Sanders and Thomas.

Let's mix it up:

Revis on D. Thomas
Arrington on Sanders
Dennard on Welker
Collins on J. Thomas
Browner on Hillman

Let's mix it up:

Revis on D. Thomas
Arrington on Sanders
Dennard on Welker
Collins on J. Thomas
Browner on Hillman
How much safety help are you expecting with Arrington? I think that match-up would easily favor Denver.

How much safety help are you expecting with Arrington? I think that match-up would easily favor Denver.

Arrington is a better short burst and slot cover guy than Dennard, having learned from getting lit up by Welker for years in practice. Welker is still not 100% post-concussion, and Manning isn't looking his way nearly as often.

If Sanders is making Arrington his *****, the Patriots can always switch him with Dennard mid-game. Chung will be low to clog the box and the short-middle center of the field, because he can't do anything else. McCourty can stay high and help clean up the deep stuff.

Let's mix it up:

Revis on D. Thomas
Arrington on Sanders
Dennard on Welker
Collins on J. Thomas
Browner on Hillman

Reason for agreeing with Deus' plan:

--Arrington has proven himself capable of working against quick, shifty types of receivers such as Victor Cruz.

Reason for disagreeing with it:

--My concern is that it may be a waste of Dennard's skills, considering the fact that Manning has shown a clear preference of the top 3 options in D.Thomas, J.Thomas, and Sanders over Welker.

In that case, I would rather see Arrington on Welker. He also has familiarity in covering him in practice as well, although I suppose Wes could say the exact same thing.

EDIT: Sorry, I see that this has already been addressed while I was typing.

Speed does absolutely nothing if you can't beat press coverage.

Thomas is soft. How anyone can watch the game last November and their Seattle games and not come to realize this is quite mystifying.

Don't be shocked if what Kontradiction recommends does come to fruition.

Or they haven't played RBs even close to Charles/Moreno. The closest one to them just went over 100 yards as well, but it was a "short week" as many say here, which apparently gives them the pass.

Either way, Forte is soon, let's see how they handle him.

There is no reason whatsoever to put "short week" in parentheses like that. It is a legitimate factor, particularly after starting the 4 game sequence on short rest and having to react to Mayo's injury.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back