SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Britt released

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Bruins29, Aug 22, 2018.

1. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,136
    ---
    Clearly you weren't following the Pats in 2006 because the Patriots didn't mismanage anything. They took Deion Branch at his word and he screwed them.

I love when people claim they mismanaged 2013 as well. It shows just how ignorant they are. As if the Patriots can predict who is going to get injured. I mean, really. They had Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson as their top 3 with Thompkins and Boyce as their bottom. They went out and got Collie later in the season. Who would you have kept from 2012? Brandon Lloyd? The washed up Deion Branch?

• Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Genius x 1
    • Thank You x 1
  2. TheRainMaker

TheRainMaker In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,652
    ---
    First, thanks for taking the time to explain why you disagree with my post instead of being lazy and just press the "disagree" button.

Deion Branch at his word? I don't know what you mean.

They let Givens walk and without a replacement.

They threw out Chad Jackson on the return kickoff team while he was struggling with a bad hammy and wrecked his career with a torn ACL. He showed promise before that.

Their group going into 2013 wasn't very good. Amendola is not a #2, Dobson and Thompkins were rookies. I would't have kept anyone except Edelman and Amendola.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23,505
    ---
    2006 was by far the weakest.
    2013 was the second weakest.
    As you said, until 2007, the receiver still were never great, but guys like Branch, Brown, and Givens sure got the job done, especially with different rules that made it tougher.

The thing that stands out in 2018 is at that coming into the preseason last year we had Cooks, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, and Mitchell. If they had all been healthy that was was probably the second best group of WRs during the era, behind only 2007, and when you add Gronkowski and the RBs into to the mix, maybe the best overall skill position players including 2007. I can understand the contrast shock.

I strongly disagree that Edelman (32), Hogan (30), Patterson (unproven), and Dorsett (unproven at best) are an average unit. Maybe in a best case scenario but not likely.

• Like Like x 1
  4. maineman209

maineman209 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +20,376
    ---
    Hard to believe that the Browns passed on a guy who fits them perfectly.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,136
    ---
    *chuckle*
    In the Spring of 2006, Deion Branch made it a point to say emphatically that he was a man of his word and that he'd play out his contract as it was if he and the Patriots couldn't come to an agreement on an extension. Both sides tried and ultimately failed to come to an extension prior to the Draft. Yes, they added Chad Jackson during the draft against the advice of the scouts and Brian Daboll, the WR Position coach at the time. BB went with McDaniels recommendation.

After the Draft, Branch announced that he would hold out. That put the Patriots in a bind since, as you mentioned, Givens had signed with Tennessee. Branch held out and forced the eventual trade to the Seahawks.

As for Jackson, he tore his knee in the AFCCG against the Colts. Yes, it was on a kick coverage unit. But it's not like he hadn't been on that unit before because he had. The hamstring injury that Jackson had was in training camp and early in the season. Do you honestly believe the Pats put a player who was injured (not hurt) on the field to intentionally derail his career? Do you honestly believe that the hamstring injury led to him tearing his ACL?

• Thank You Thank You x 1
  6. maineman209

maineman209 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +20,376
    ---
    Patterson is healthy and has had a 74% catch rate over his last two seasons. That right there gives him a sizeable lead over Dropson. Also, Patterson is a very violent runner with the ball in his hands.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49,788
    ---
    Yep. Both positives. It's just that his route tree is extremely limited due to the fact that he has never been a good route runner. That's why I think the reports have surfaced about Brady looking away from him in camp. As a WR4, he'd ultimately be what you're looking for. It's a stretch to say he's a WR3, though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +9,174
    ---
    It's a great number but there all manipulated touches.

Imo his biggest upside will come out of slants & crossers. He already has some speed built up or can use his wiggle in those areas.

There was a slant the last game that looked like he should have caught it easily but felt a defender coming. Thats where he can really make an impact imo but can't short arm those plays bc of todays rule. Those are gimmies he has to convert.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,788
    ---
    The problem is that if he's rounding off his routes, Brady will never trust him to be where he needs to be on those throw. I think his biggest impact will come on screens. Get the ball in his hands quickly, don't worry about his route running, and let him take it upfield.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. patfanken

patfanken PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,985
    ---
    But here's the thing, what is one of BB's greatest strengths. He doesn't ask players to do things that they can't, and focuses on the things that they CAN do.

Patterson might have a limited route tree, but its not like he can only run 9's. I don't know about you, but if I were an opposing DC and saw Patterson line up wide, I'd be damned sure to look at him as a legitimate deep threat.

So, so what if he can only runs 9's, hitches, screens, come backs and slants. That is enough to create threats to a defense. For example, the fact that he was so successful last preseason game in running hitches and screen, it will force a team playing man to play him up tight, and thus make him vulnerable to deeper routes.

The fact is he doesn't have be an elite receiver to help make this offense go; he just has to be an EFFECTIVE one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,788
    ---
    I don't see Patterson running a ton of 9-routes. As speedy as he is, he's never really shown to be able to get consistent separation on those routes. With that one, I see him as a better version of Slater in 2011 - take advantage of his speed in order to force that safety to stay deep. The screens, hitches, and comebacks are going to be his top routes. They'll just try to get the ball into his hands and let him go.

12. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +9,174
    ---
    I don't understand this line of thought at all. He's never been or shown to be that guy. He just doesn't/can't utilize his speed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +9,174
    ---
    Probably should have been clearer. That's something I believe he can improve on & at the very least has flashed at times. If he can do that, it would be huge.

Agreed though he's a behind the los/close to the los guy as it is now & that's not gone dramatically change.

Small improvements as opposed to doing or expecting him to do something he's never done before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. VectorPrime

VectorPrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +12,174
    ---
    Why don’t we kick the tires on Brandon Lafell? He’s still only 31.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,788
    ---
    And I don't think BB or McDaniels will put him into that situation. At least at first until/unless he improves his route-running. But even going back to UT, that hasn't been his strong suit and I don't see that he's improved upon that in the pros. But who knows? Maybe working with this QB and coaching staff will be just what he needs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,833
    ---
    Go with hwat we have use more 2 TE sets and 2RB sets.

Gronk, Hollister, Hogan, White, Burkhead.
    Hollister >> other WR options

17. Oswlek

Oswlek Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6,486
    ---
    Patterson is still in the league, so being light years beyond Dobson is a given. I also granted that Decker couldn't be counted on in the comment.

You would need all three to completely flame out... and even then 2018 would still be better due to the major improvement at TE and RB. That's why it is such a poor comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Froob

Froob Independent Investigator & pliable af PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,280
    ---
    Dobson was pretty good at the time though, reminds to be seen what extent Patterson can play receiver with this playbook. Don’t mean to be a downer on Patterson because I’m actually excited about him.

19. Froob

Froob Independent Investigator & pliable af PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,280
    ---
    I hear Patterson isn’t a Guerrero guy for what it’s worth.

Wait til somebody reports this :D

20. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,389
    ---
    Good riddance.

• Love Love x 1