PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brissett to start vs Cardinals

Tolzien sucks -- it's that simple...

Coaches are just trying to win the games and keep their jobs -- Tolzien is a sure way to get fired.

Every team would love to have a pure-gold starter like Brady, Rodgers and even Luck.

For the rest, there's fools gold, such as Tyrod Taylor, Gee No! Smith and Jacoby Brisette.

The tend line is favoring the latter. Amateur athletics just is not producing enough NFL ready QBs.

Next up: Watson, Kieser, etc.
Honestly completely disagree that Brissett is "fools' gold." He's got a good arm, good feet and a good head. He needs experience and good coaching to put it all together but there's a reason I called out the guy who was talking about Brissett's "limited skill set." The skill set is NOT the problem with Jacoby Brisset.

The problem with Jacoby Brissett is that he's raw and has some bad habits to unlearn, at least from a Patriots' perspective. His skill set is actually amazing, if he can grow into it. The talent is absolutely there for Brissett to be somewhere in the middle 30 percentile points as an NFL starter IF he can learn his lessons and get some real on field experience. And he seems to have a knack for finding ways to get himself on the field so I wouldn't bet against his ability to earn that experience.

Does he even have a remote chance of succeeding?

Bad o-line, bad defense, 2 weeks to learn the playbook and practice with his receivers. It sounds like an impossible situation for second year, recently QB3. Even a seasoned pro would struggle with that set up.

It's not a starting opportunity, it's a human sacrifice.
When you're a marginal quarterback, you gather your snaps wherever you can. Not too many second tier quarterbacks get this kind of opportunity this quickly. I think if I'm in Brissett's shoes I'm grateful for the opportunity to go slay a dragon. It beats what he'd be doing as a third string quarterback in the Patriots system, it beats the opportunity most second year quarterbacks have to go show what they can do, and if he manages somehow to win, or even manages to keep it close, Brissett starts getting some attention in this league.

Guys like that do win Super Bowls as well!
Brad Johnson for a relatively recent example. He isn't a terrible quarterback, but he's not the reason the Bucs won that year.

Now we will learn what Brissett can bring to the table. People have been hating on him since he has been here. I haven't seen the reasons for that, so I am intrigued. QBs with bad mechanics and accuracy problems don't complete 26 out of 38 passes (or whatever it was).

He's got accuracy problems and bad mechanics compared to the guy with the most flawless mechanics and one of the most accurate passers in the entire history of the NFL. There are few quarterbacks that you could stand next to TFB and their mechanics and accuracy look in any way good.

Not to say that Brissett's accuracy is great, I'd rate both at average, and say that with smart decision making he can work that to above average from time to time. But he could be pretty solid in his own right and Patriot fans would have no way of realizing it. We're too spoiled by the great one in our midst.

What a whirlwind experience for Jacoby! I’m happy for him. Imagine if you get to go back in time 2 weeks and tell people: We lose the opening game by 15 points, and Brissett starts week 2!

Last edited:
You have a low standard for cat like quickness.
He's got enough quickness to catch an intattentive defense napping and that's all he really needs.

I for one would like to see what he could accomplish in a run-first offense. He can't run the show himself, but he's already good enough to catch a defense off guard if they stack against the run. We know that because that's how he beat a very good Texan defense in Week 3 last year.

Brissett did enough to hold up his end of the bargain and let Blount (a decent but by no means superlative power back) carry the offense to 27 points against what was widely considered a world class defense. Put him behind a real big feature back to create some space for him and I think that kid might make the Superbowl someday. He's smart and tough, is a good game manager, and has a strong set of tools, and he's been repeatedly praised already in his very short career for his leadership skills. I think he's eventually going to put it all together at some point. Put him in a healthy Denver or Houston squad and I wonder what he might grow into. He could surprise us all.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there is not many opportunities in the NFL for a QB to land in an ideal situation. For Brissett, this is an opportunity to show some of his intangibles, do not stink up the joint and then become one of those journeyman QB's who stay on the league for years going from team to team. He would still be a pro athlete and making millions, not bad. It's important to be playing like the Blaine Gabberts and Brian Hoyers of life, if he stays 4 years as a QB3 there are chances he doesn't get a 2nd contract.

Nobody dreams of being a Hoyer, Cassell, Fitzpatrick, etc., but what a dream come true to be able to start NFL football games, play for 12 or so years, and make millions of dollars. Beats anything I've ever done.

Nobody dreams of being a Hoyer, Cassell, Fitzpatrick, etc., but what a dream come true to be able to start NFL football games, play for 12 or so years, and make millions of dollars. Beats anything I've ever done.
I'd prefer to make a living as a touring PGA player. Not a ton of physical injuries

The Jacoby worship on this board, even as a Colt, is mindbogglingly mystifying. Also kind of hard to figure.
It is difficult to understand since we had backups here much longer and no one cared once they were traded.

But I hope Brissett proves us both wrong. Seemed like well grounded young man.

I wish Jacoby every success, as long as that success doesn't impact New England.

Good for him, though. He's gonna need it. With that fungible O-line that Indy has, Brissett is gonna get a feel for what Bledsoe had to deal with while a Patriot.

The Jacoby worship on this board, even as a Colt, is mindbogglingly mystifying. Also kind of hard to figure.
I hear that. And I wasn't crying when BB traded him.

Having said that, JB came in and did an admirable job in a pinch without much experience, nor refining. He played hurt. When he left, he showed grace. And, by all accounts, his teammates liked & respected him. It makes sense people would cheer for such a person.

What is more interesting, IMO, is the JG situation. Schefter speculating NE wants him here for some time. He's approaching/in prime years... I am very curious. Is there little interest ? Does BB view him as the next QB ? Is it 2017 insurance ? All three of these suppositions have holes...

those must be someone elses kids.... ;)

Honestly completely disagree that Brissett is "fools' gold." He's got a good arm, good feet and a good head. He needs experience and good coaching to put it all together but there's a reason I called out the guy who was talking about Brissett's "limited skill set." The skill set is NOT the problem with Jacoby Brisset.

The problem with Jacoby Brissett is that he's raw and has some bad habits to unlearn, at least from a Patriots' perspective. His skill set is actually amazing, if he can grow into it. The talent is absolutely there for Brissett to be somewhere in the middle 30 percentile points as an NFL starter IF he can learn his lessons and get some real on field experience. And he seems to have a knack for finding ways to get himself on the field so I wouldn't bet against his ability to earn that experience.
What a bunch of wishfully subjective hooey. The Patriots shipped him for good reason and unless you're a Colts fan, your fawning over the player makes little sense. Brissett is a fine young man, hard working and apparently dedicated. However, that did not sufficiently compensate for the limited skill set he thus far has demonstrated as a passer, obvious even from his college days, to keep him in New England. Yes, he has a strong arm but that's pretty much it. His mechanics are inconsistent (footwork, release, touch) leading to problems with accuracy on short and intermediate routes, especially timing routes in which an offense like New England's specializes.

He showed no real improvement since last year and they traded him away. Can his strong intangibles transcend this over the long term if he works hard on becoming a better passer vs. thrower? Possibly, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The hardest thing for ANY quarterback to permanently change is his mechanics. Tim Tebow was a classic example of this syndrome: in practice, when mindful of adjusting his mechanics, he could be OK. In games, when he had to think about other things, his mechanics went to hell. Garoppolo is the exact opposite of that -- his passing mechanics are superb and that's why he's still on the roster.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back