PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it makes any difference at this point, but, when he was starting for the Browns, Hoyer was the best of the bunch and actually had 2-3 pretty good games before he got injured.
And lets not forget his great playoff game couple years back against the Chiefs. 15-34 for 136 yards, 4 INTs and 2 fumbles.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but Hoyer was 10-6 over two seasons in CLE (2013 & 2014). He led 5 Q4 comebacks for wins in 2014, and four of his losses were by 3 points or less.

From 2008-2013, prior to Hoyer becoming the Browns starting QB in 2014, they averaged 4.5 wins a season. Since the Browns sat Hoyer near the end of the 2014 season (in favor of Johnny Football, who lost both his starts), they've won 4 of 51 games.

And lets not forget his great playoff game couple years back against the Chiefs. 15-34 for 136 yards, 4 INTs and 2 fumbles.
I honestly don't care that much about what a quarterback does when Bill Belichick isn't his coach. That guy nearly got Matt Cassell to the playoffs, Hoyer is better than Cassell, he can probably win Bill a playoff game if he has to.

I think this depends entirely on what kind of game do you expect him to have. I could easily see Hoyer going 20/28 for 220 yards and a TD to Gronk with D. Lewis having a monster game. Play it safe take what the defense gives you and get the ball out quick. Our defense balls out and the pats win 17-10. Now if you need him to go 38/52 400 yards 3 TD then your screwed cuz he is no Tom F'in Brady.

All of that said there is no way anyone but Tom is starting Sun and we will have to wait and see if the injury affects his accuracy. If it does then I see Hoyer coming in and Brady will have 2 weeks to heal before the Super bowl

Yeah, you keep reminding yourself about that. Dwell on it. Type it up and tape it to your bathroom mirror. While you're at it, punch yourself in the face.

I would prefer Brady to play.

If Hoyer plays, the Pats can absolutely still win. But he won't play.

Hoyer sucks ... and not just somewhat sucks.
Hoyer sucks really bad ... not just a little and not just here and there ...
His arm is a noodle - at best. Dislike and disagree at will ... won't change that he really does suck.
Is he throwing the ball or is it a shot put kind of thing?

His arm is a noodle - at best. Dislike and disagree at will ... won't change that he really does suck.
I can't dislike AND disagree with this, the board only lets me choose one. o_O And who's Will? I thought you were talking about Hoyer.

Hoyer looked like Hoyer tonight...by that I mean he looked like he SHOULD have last week...which is as a serviceable BACK-UP to the GOAT who can run the offense somewhat effectively.Meh. The way Twinkletoes danced around like a diva in the pocket during the first half, I seriously doubt Hoyer will see A snap this coming season.

I still wish we had Alladin as a back up QB, but it is what it is. I'm just interested in seeing what the plan is for replacing TB12 when the time comes.

I still wish we had Alladin as a back up QB, but it is what it is. I'm just interested in seeing what the plan is for replacing TB12 when the time comes.

I can see brady playing another two years after this season. His timing was off on the deep throw but he still has that velocity on his throws.

His timing was pretty sharp IMO. You're talking about the throw to Dorsett? Brady threw a zipline to Hogan that hit him in the hands 25 yards downfiled. Nothing wrong with Bardy's arm that I could see and his touch is as good as ever in the short passing game. Perhaps you should sit down with the rest of Max Kellermans and drink a few gallons of sour grapes.

I can see brady playing another two years after this season. His timing was off on the deep throw but he still has that velocity on his throws.
His timing was off on one or two deep balls...sound the alarm. What I did see was a few throws where he absolutely zipped the ball to the receiver, Hollister was one of them. No diminished arm strength that I could see.

If we would stop grading every freakin' QB on the Tom Brady curve, that would help this board's ability to do a better job at figuring out who can play the position.

Hoyer's the backup. He's not here to beat out Brady. His previously demonstrated ability will be fine for normal backup duties. So, unless there's been a decline (and we wouldn't have seen it to this point, if it were there), the wailing and gnashing of teeth is out of place.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but Hoyer was 10-6 over two seasons in CLE (2013 & 2014). He led 5 Q4 comebacks for wins in 2014, and four of his losses were by 3 points or less.

From 2008-2013, prior to Hoyer becoming the Browns starting QB in 2014, they averaged 4.5 wins a season. Since the Browns sat Hoyer near the end of the 2014 season (in favor of Johnny Football, who lost both his starts), they've won 4 of 51 games.
There’s no doubt that Hoyer is still the (current) best choice for the backup QB spot, as he can run enough of the offense to allow us a reasonable chance, but I would’ve liked to see some better competition added this past spring.

I have a feeling that they may have decided that Hoyer was going to be the 2018 backup awhile ago, but there’s little chance that he’ll be here next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back