PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

1) Worst QB room in the the league last year

2) Bill has brought the band back together for another US tour.
Someone disagreed with my two declarations above
1) Starter....8 passing TDs in 15 starts (set season record for bounce passes)
Back up...... benched after 2 quarters then demoted to game day suit and tie immediately after
2nd back up.....could not supplant worst passer in NFL (3 picks in 1st two mop up appearances)

2) Isn't the band back together (plus a new roadie)

I know I've said this before, but every time I think of Hoyer now, I go back to that KC game where he made those huge mental mistakes.

I know I've said this before, but every time I think of Hoyer now, I go back to that KC game where he made those huge mental mistakes.
Thats what really bothered me. I can see not making some throws, etc but taking untimely sacks, ball security, etc. AWFUL.

If he can accelerate Mac's learning of the offense so he can start sooner rather than later then it makes sense but make no mistake, he cannot see the field ever again.

Some thoughts from Evan....I think Bill and Josh don't see Cam as a great influence on Mac

Right after the draft I wrote how this was a "Josh" pick. Bill obviously ok'd the QB but Josh was a big part of making this happen. Especially if you believe he's taking over after Bill. Now the Hoyer move, which isn't surprising but more crumbs that point in that direction.

I like the continuity, plan and direction. Most teams spin their wheels trying to do 10 things at once and move in 4 different directions. Have to like the way this was handled.

Hoyer's a coach, a good guy to have in the QB room who knows the playbook better than anyone in there.
"Coach" Hoyer did a hell of a job with his two pupils last year.

Someone disagreed with my two declarations above
1) Starter....8 passing TDs in 15 starts (set season record for bounce passes)
Back up...... benched after 2 quarters then demoted to game day suit and tie immediately after
2nd back up.....could not supplant worst passer in NFL (3 picks in 1st two mop up appearances)

2) Isn't the band back together (plus a new roadie)
Hoyer isn't being brought back with the intention of playing. He's in instructor.

Or maybe hoyer is just a camp body or Mac has impressed already that they are bringing in a veteran pocket passer and trading cam.
Blah. I'll believe it when I see it.

Hoyer isn't being brought back with the intention of playing. He's in instructor.
Will he "instruct" from the sky box on game day?

Is Bill having Robert pay Hoyer a NFL salary in order to replace Nick Caserio's practice reps?
(might actually be cheaper)

Gotta respect the hustle of a 2009 UDFA. He sucks but finds a way to make it on teams. Career backup QB is a pretty good way to make it 13 years in the NFL

Career Earnings: $32,686,250

Not a bad job if you can get it! Now you really have to respect him!

Some thoughts from Evan....I think Bill and Josh don't see Cam as a great influence on Mac

Pats always have 4 QB’s in camp, last year it was Brian Lewenke or whatever his name was. There’s no better QB available for this particular team and offense. I don’t get all the handwringing...

Pats always have 4 QB’s in camp, last year it was Brian Lewenke or whatever his name was. There’s no better QB available for this particular team and offense. I don’t get all the handwringing...

The Hammer is tearing up the Spring league, I say bring him back!!

Will he "instruct" from the sky box on game day?

Is Bill having Robert pay Hoyer a NFL salary in order to replace Nick Caserio's practice reps?
(might actually be cheaper)
I don't think he makes the final cut. Then again, I'm not BB and don't know his strategy. Although, my mantra is "In BB we trust".

The Pats have a lot of institutional knowledge about how to develop a contending team. Bringing in a qb who knows the offense better than anyone else on the roster and can help Mac is a great move.

If Hoyer makes the 53 then there is a problem. I like him as a mentor and to help run practices, but I don't want to see him taking snaps during a game for the Patriots.

Cam was bad last year coming back from COVID due to inaccuracy, Hoyer started a game last year and didn't have a strong enough arm to get the ball where it needed to go. I have hope that Cam will be better next season after recovering form COVID, I have no hope that Hoyer's arm strength will suddenly allow him to be a playable QB.

Before last year I would have said hes a solid backup option based on what i saw from him in indy. He could be pretty effective in small chunks but prone to mistakes the more hes in. Then that kc game changed everything, he was a complete disaster. Hopefully this is nothing more than for a preseason mentor.

The only caveat I'll give regarding Hoyer's start against KC (which was BAD), is that they spent the whole week practicing the gameplan with Cam as the QB getting 1st team reps. This gameplan likely included a number of designed QB runs and things that play off of that. They didn't know Cam wasn't going to play until late Friday, then had a walkthrough Saturday and played the game on Monday. I don't think Hoyer wins that game even if he had a full week of starter practice and a gameplan designed for him, but it was a tough situation to jump into: Road game against the defending champs, with really no way to translate his skills to a gameplan built around a very different styled QB.

I'd rather not see him play any games for us in 2021, but that was a tough draw.

Forgot to add.....
Who doesn't want an "instructor" who has lost his last 17 starts to show him how to be a successful NFL QB

I bet MacSpieth is chomping at the bit to get in that QB room and let all that knowledge wash over him.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Pats QB room- Game tape on.......

Hoyer: Don't do what I did here. And especially don't do that
Cam: On this play, I called "QB sneak" at the line......and I ran right. Enough of that, lets go shopping for outfits.
Stids: Anyone seen my plane ticket to Cabo?
McDaniels: Why are you always on your phone during meetings, Jarred?
Stids: Wife keeps losing her selfie stick

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down