PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobby and Andy started off the Pete Carrol regime by losing Curtis Martin
to the Jets.

And the jets started our now 2 decade dynasty by losing BB to the pats. Good trade.

I agree that it can be stressful some times.
And of course TB is a major reason why this dynasty has been a dynasty- probably THE major reason. BUT... .....
..Go back and study all the D's BB has had since 2001. For most of that time, Pats have had at least good defenses, year after year.
Ive really come to appreciate what BB has done with his D's. He's really not locked into one philosophy. He makes the most of the personnel he has.
For example, there's a big argument going on right now here about Flores being more aggressive. Well, Flores is a BB disciple. Pats WILL be more aggressive this year simply because they have better personnel to do it with. Clayborn,Rivers,Shelton, High,etc. Better run D means more 3rd and longs.
I believe Flores has all the tools to be a great dc and eventually,great hc. He's highly intelligent, not just football-smart. Similar to Matty P in that regard. But he played at a high level. BB encourages his coaches to challenge him- he'll listen to other ideas but bottom line is- they have to actually work in a game.
Bend don't break does not accurately describe how most of BBs D's have worked. It's lowrisk but highly aggressive in the red zone. It's mostly about limiting big plays, which has been statistically proven to be one of the surest ways to lose a game.
It's about making teams go on long,sustained drives over and over again. Not something many teams can do.
One question: if Hightower had been healthy for the SB, do you think the result might have been different? And if it was, would we even be having this conversation?
The only way you can successfully run the kind of of D you're talking about is with probowl level talent at all 3 levels.
If you constantly pressure the qb but your dbs suck,you'll be burnt big-time.
Then you also have to have great dts and lbs to stop the run and force passing situations.
Then you'd need kuechly type lbs who can cover.
You could do that, but your offense would suck because all your $ would be invested in the D.
I look at BBs overall approach-not just D, but everything- and liken it to America- our system is far from perfect- but it's the best one out there.
The results speak for themselves.
Since B.B. cane here the patriots are 3rd in the nfl in points allowed and 4th in takeaways.

Since B.B. cane here the patriots are 3rd in the nfl in points allowed and 4th in takeaways.
Since Dean Pees left in 2009 the NE D has never finished worse than 11th in points allowed.

I think bend don't break has worked out pretty well..

Since Dean Pees left in 2009 the NE D has never finished worse than 11th in points allowed.

When Pees as here we were 2,4,8 and 5. And we ran the same defensive philosophy.

If Flores does as well as Patricia as the DC of this team we should be thrilled.

With Matt Patricia as DC (2012-2017) the patriots were 75-21 in the regular season, won all 6 division titles, earning a first round bye all 6 seasons with 3 #1 seeds and 3 #2 seeds.
They were 11-4 in the post season going to the afccg or further every time, making it to the SB in 3 of his 6 seasons, winning twice.

His defenses over those 6 years cumulatively ranked #2 in points allowed, #6 in takeaways and #5 in QB sacks. Yes that’s right the conservative defense of Matt Patricia was 5th best at sacking the qb and 6th best at forcing turnovers.

They were also 9th in lowest an completion percentage, 8th in qb. rating against.

Matt Patricia is the best or 2nd best (crennel) DC in patriots history.

If you dismiss any strategic influence since it still is belichick making all relevant decisions, there still is the basic coaching and leadership that makes guys play better. Maybe that's what we're seeing with Flores and D looking better.
With Matt Patricia as DC (2012-2017) the patriots were 75-21 in the regular season, won all 6 division titles, earning a first round bye all 6 seasons with 3 #1 seeds and 3 #2 seeds.
They were 11-4 in the post season going to the afccg or further every time, making it to the SB in 3 of his 6 seasons, winning twice.

His defenses over those 6 years cumulatively ranked #2 in points allowed, #6 in takeaways and #5 in QB sacks. Yes that’s right the conservative defense of Matt Patricia was 5th best at sacking the qb and 6th best at forcing turnovers.

They were also 9th in lowest an completion percentage, 8th in qb. rating against.

Matt Patricia is the best or 2nd best (crennel) DC in patriots history.

I'm a fan of Patricia also... I liked his cerebral style and thought he was the more promising head coach material vs. mcD . Alas ... He goes and mcD still here with unknown future but a good grasp of offense with Brady.

We'll see how Patricia handles the adversity of having his past dragged into the media, and now some crappy play by his first team in his first preseason.

All that said I'm not a fan of ranking stats and your 6year cumulative stat is a real doozy..lol.

What I would deduce from that is consistency which might be more of a system attribute than a Patricia . This is because other teams will have bad years or personnel turnover which hurts this stat , where a consistent yet underwhelming team will outrank most just by avoiding the down year that affects the rest of the league... But not belichick.

If you dismiss any strategic influence since it still is belichick making all relevant decisions, there still is the basic coaching and leadership that makes guys play better. Maybe that's what we're seeing with Flores and D looking better.

I'm a fan of Patricia also... I liked his cerebral style and thought he was the more promising head coach material vs. mcD . Alas ... He goes and mcD still here with unknown future but a good grasp of offense with Brady.

We'll see how Patricia handles the adversity of having his past dragged into the media, and now some crappy play by his first team in his first preseason.

All that said I'm not a fan of ranking stats and your 6year cumulative stat is a real doozy..lol.

What I would deduce from that is consistency which might be more of a system attribute than a Patricia . This is because other teams will have bad years or personnel turnover which hurts this stat , where a consistent yet underwhelming team will outrank most just by avoiding the down year that affects the rest of the league... But not belichick.
It’s his report card.

R.e. 97...just think if Nancy Drew didn't play catch w Kevin Henry the Pats finish 11-5 in front of Pittsburgh, get a bye, and then who knows what happens...
I haven't thought of that play in a long, long time, but I do remember it...4pm start, Saturday afternoon, at home, late in the season...nationally televised, so I was able to watch it in Galveston TX...Pats driving to kill the clock or take the lead?...then Bledsoe tries to loft a pass near midfield over Kevin Henry's arms...

Last edited:
Oh supa supa, how was he supposed to know? That he’s off by 20 mill BARE NARE NARE NARE
I didn’t necessarily mean to nitpick his comment. My statement was purely matter of fact. No snark intended. I had remembered seeing the 56m dollar number this past week in some article scrolling through my news feed, so I figured that I’d share it.

The problem fans like @PP2 and others is they are equating more aggressive=better defense and that is simply not the case.

I didn’t necessarily mean to nitpick his comment. My statement was purely matter of fact. No snark intended. I had remembered seeing the 56m dollar number this past week in some article scrolling through my news feed, so I figured that I’d share it.

The main point was to put you into a britney song

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft