PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I think he’s doing a great job so far with the D...

Love the attitude, aggressiveness. I noticed we blitzed and attacked a lot more on 3rd down with the 1s last night than I ever seen in many years...we struggled a bit in zone with the 2s, but the 1s did great in Man and won a lot of their 1 on 1 battles. Defense seems less confused...just aggressive, attacking, and with a chip on their shoulder

1 game, pre season.. but hopefully a sign of things to come

It was one game in the exhibition season. We've been down this road before.

Continue to repeat as often as necessary.

I think he’s doing a great job so far with the D...

Love the attitude, aggressiveness. I noticed we blitzed and attacked a lot more on 3rd down with the 1s last night than I ever seen in many years...we struggled a bit in zone with the 2s, but the 1s did great in Man and won a lot of their 1 on 1 battles. Defense seems less confused...just aggressive, attacking, and with a chip on their shoulder

1 game, pre season.. but hopefully a sign of things to come

Considering they looked like poopy doo-doo against Colt McCoy (sorry for language) I think I'm going to be patient with them.

Considering they looked like poopy doo-doo against Colt McCoy (sorry for language) I think I'm going to be patient with them.

Agree too early to say anything. There are no schemes on both sides, most of the stuff is really vanilla and you never know what the objectives for a given series is in the preseason. As other have suggested they might have wanted to work more extensively on pass rush stuff in a real game setting this time and next week might be something else entirely.

I don't think we will see a clear pattern of differences until 5-6 games in. Maybe longer.

Bumble-gif-3.gif

Agree too early to say anything. There are no schemes on both sides, most of the stuff is really vanilla and you never know what the objectives for a given series is in the preseason. As other have suggested they might have wanted to work more extensively on pass rush stuff in a real game setting this time and next week might be something else entirely.

I don't think we will see a clear pattern of differences until 5-6 games in. Maybe longer.

Also, regardless of who the D.C. has been, we've seen an aggression variance based upon talent since BB first became the head coach. If Hightower is healthy, and Shelton can hold the point, and the CB2 and SlotCB can hold their own, the team will be more aggressive, whether that's in terms of sending men at the QB or just scheming in general. If Hightower goes down again, or the CBs can't be trusted in coverage, or the line can't hold up against the run, we'll see a repeat of last season.

Continue to repeat as often as necessary.
I did not hear you. Please say it again.

Dunno about the defensive schemes....we will see...

But I do like his sideline presence. With Patricia, we had a rocket scientist who would have a disappointed look....with Flores...we have a guy who lives and dies with each snap on the sideline...almost like a fan. I like it. Sometimes I like visible emotion...god knows BB never shows any....

Dunno about the defensive schemes....we will see...

But I do like his sideline presence. With Patricia, we had a rocket scientist who would have a disappointed look....with Flores...we have a guy who lives and dies with each snap on the sideline...almost like a fan. I like it. Sometimes I like visible emotion...god knows BB never shows any....
I’ll wait until the season is over to judge Flores but I want to see more aggressivness on certain occasions. For instance, on 3 and 10+ or obvious passing downs and against inexperienced QB’s. There’s no reason to sit back and make QB’s confortable and hope they make a mistake. There’s a lot of incompetent QB’s in today’s NFL but you’re only helping them if you don’t send pressure.

Last edited:
Don't comment on anything good or bad. It's the preseason!

I’ll wait until the season is over to judge Flores but I want to see more aggressivness on certain occasions. For instance, on 3 and 10+ or obvious passing downs and against inexperienced QB’s. There’s no reason to sit back and make QB’s confortable and hope they make a mistake. There’s a lot of incompetent QB’s in today’s NFL but your only helping them if you don’t send pressure.
I agree with picking your spots.
I totally agree that when you have Tom Brady at QB your overall defensive and special teams philosophy should be very conservative.
Aggressive is high risk high reward. There is little need for high reward with the goat at qb and the perfect way to screw up and lose to a team that is inferior is to be too aggressive, fail at it and give them a chance they wouldn’t otherwise have

But within the context of a conservative nature there are certainly times to be aggressive. But there is always the other side of the coin. That young QB who makes a lot of mistakes will have a hard time converting enough 3rd and 10s to beat you. Even though it’s frustrating in the big picture converting some but not enough means we lose some battles but win the war. Giving that guy the chance to have a wide open receiver for a 60 yard pass when the blitz gets picked up and your corner on an island gets beat, could cost the war.

Ultimately our defense is going to be judged by 3 things.
1) how do they play in 2 minute defense and situations where the other team is in pass only mode (including individual 3rd downs)
2) how they play in the red zone
3) how they may in the playoffs

Thanksgiving... we'll all know by Thanksgiving

Don't comment on anything good or bad. It's the preseason!

There are things you can learn in exhibition games, and things you can't. What's mostly learned by those who don't have the amount of context that teams have is the "can't do" stuff a/k/a player limitations.

There are things you can learn in exhibition games, and things you can't. What's mostly learned by those who don't have the amount of context that teams have is the "can't do" stuff a/k/a player limitations.

And I think you need to commend him on execution thus far. If we had blown assignments or too many men in the huddle he would get blasted. What he did worked for the most part so for one game you have to give him credit. He's got alot of newbies going in and out.

And I think you need to commend him on execution thus far. If we had blown assignments or too many men in the huddle he would get blasted. What he did worked for the most part so for one game you have to give him credit. He's got alot of newbies going in and out.

The same defense sucked in the first game, so why should we be commending him?

Other than cherry picking one of the two games, because we're being homers, I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News