PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have loved the Pete Carroll era...

I actually did, LOL. Yeah, I know...10-6, 9-7, and then 8-8...."I am feeling Dangerous"...

IMO, PC was killed by Ernie Zampese and Bobby Grier....but that's water under the bridge now...

I did however like PC's defenses better...all aggressive and using McGinest as the Elephant.... I know BB's defenses have done us well...but sometimes I just want o go after the QB and blow up plays at the risk of giving up big plays vs. sitting back passively reading the offense...

I actually did, LOL. Yeah, I know...10-6, 9-7, and then 8-8...."I am feeling Dangerous"...

IMO, PC was killed by Ernie Zampese and Bobby Grier....but that's water under the bridge now...

I did however like PC's defenses better...all aggressive and using McGinest as the Elephant.... I know BB's defenses have done us well...but sometimes I just want o go after the QB and blow up plays at the risk of giving up big plays vs. sitting back passively reading the offense...

So you don't care about winning?

She made 35 million last year.
I’m aware she still makes a ton of money with her Vegas gigs and what not but what I meant was that she dominated the pop music scene.

I was a huge fan of the Pete Carroll era as well. I was a teenager during that time and I liked his “rah-rah” attitude.

I was also a fan of his aggressive defense schemes but injuries and age at LB and D line exposed them. Not to mention, the AFC East alone was a nightmare and easily the best division in football. Remember in ‘98 4 out 5 teams made the playoffs? That was a fun year.

However, because of Bobby Grier, both coordinators not getting it done and a lack of running game, is what got Carrol fired. A change had to be made.

Last edited:

LOL, I am not arguing vs. the formula...it works, but to be honest...how much is it Brady driven? Say we didn't have Brady...I am not so sure BB's defenses would work as effectively. Then again BB's game plan vs. the K-Gun is in the HOF...and that Giant team limited the Niners to 13 points as well....

Was speaking as a fan there...sitting on my couch on Sundays and hating how we are reading/reacting vs. just shooting the gaps. Yes, I understand the concept of forcing an offense to march down the field for 10+ plays to increase the chance of errors...and keeping points off the scoreboard while giving up yardage...just that it is very stressful on Sundays.

I don't think Pom Pom was ready but Notorious Bobby Incompetent Grier and Wacznsuck didn't do him any favors.

Last edited:
R.e. 97...just think if Nancy Drew didn't play catch w Kevin Henry the Pats finish 11-5 in front of Pittsburgh, get a bye, and then who knows what happens...

I like emotion as long as you can do it in a composed manner. Don't get sobby or cute with it. Spiritual leading doesn't do **** in terms of 'going to war'.

A good leader needs some detachment from the environment, but they also don't need to be utterly dry and stale. Be high energy and focused.
Just continuing this thought....

I think it makes sense for your head coach to be the general, who's the total executive and business-minded guy in the room, and your top assistants are the commanders, who fill high-ranking leadership roles as well as strategic development roles. Your head coach probably shouldn't be a leader (in the sense of being a motivational leader, as being an executive is still a form of leadership) at all, at least at the NFL level where the game is sufficiently complex and you can have enough talent in the coaching staff that your HC doesn't need to be everything at once. How often does a military general speak to his troops? He makes appearances and whatnot, but it's not with the same people.

Maybe the HC does have to do some of those things at lower levels, particularly the HS level. Partially at the college level but completely at the NFL level, the business (or recruiting, if it's college) side is hugely important to the success of the team. I'm suddenly realizing that the front office and coaching organizational structure that you find throughout the NFL *might actually be the wrong way to do it*. If there's a single exception to that rule, it would be the Pats. You'd never notice it unless you paid attention though, as Belichick holds the same title as every other HC in the league, even if he fulfills different duties.

LOL, I am not arguing vs. the formula...it works, but to be honest...how much is it Brady driven? Say we didn't have Brady...I am not so sure BB's defenses would work as effectively. Then again BB's game plan vs. the K-Gun is in the HOF...and that Giant team limited the Niners to 13 points as well....

Was speaking as a fan there...sitting on my couch on Sundays and hating how we are reading/reacting vs. just shooting the gaps. Yes, I understand the concept of forcing an offense to march down the field for 10+ plays to increase the chance of errors...and keeping points off the scoreboard while giving up yardage...just that it is very stressful on Sundays.

I agree that it can be stressful some times.
And of course TB is a major reason why this dynasty has been a dynasty- probably THE major reason. BUT... .....
..Go back and study all the D's BB has had since 2001. For most of that time, Pats have had at least good defenses, year after year.
Ive really come to appreciate what BB has done with his D's. He's really not locked into one philosophy. He makes the most of the personnel he has.
For example, there's a big argument going on right now here about Flores being more aggressive. Well, Flores is a BB disciple. Pats WILL be more aggressive this year simply because they have better personnel to do it with. Clayborn,Rivers,Shelton, High,etc. Better run D means more 3rd and longs.
I believe Flores has all the tools to be a great dc and eventually,great hc. He's highly intelligent, not just football-smart. Similar to Matty P in that regard. But he played at a high level. BB encourages his coaches to challenge him- he'll listen to other ideas but bottom line is- they have to actually work in a game.
Bend don't break does not accurately describe how most of BBs D's have worked. It's lowrisk but highly aggressive in the red zone. It's mostly about limiting big plays, which has been statistically proven to be one of the surest ways to lose a game.
It's about making teams go on long,sustained drives over and over again. Not something many teams can do.
One question: if Hightower had been healthy for the SB, do you think the result might have been different? And if it was, would we even be having this conversation?
The only way you can successfully run the kind of of D you're talking about is with probowl level talent at all 3 levels.
If you constantly pressure the qb but your dbs suck,you'll be burnt big-time.
Then you also have to have great dts and lbs to stop the run and force passing situations.
Then you'd need kuechly type lbs who can cover.
You could do that, but your offense would suck because all your $ would be invested in the D.
I look at BBs overall approach-not just D, but everything- and liken it to America- our system is far from perfect- but it's the best one out there.
The results speak for themselves.

I don't think Pom Pom was ready but Notorious Bobby Incompetent Grier and Wacznsuck didn't do him any favors.
Bobby and Andy started off the Pete Carrol regime by losing Curtis Martin
to the Jets.

If we didn’t have Brady B.B. would okay defense differently.
How do people not get this?
The point of all decisions is to win not to be cool.

to the Jets.
Yep.

Drafting Chris "Cant He " in the 1st round in 97 set the tone for craptacularness

If we didn’t have Brady B.B. would okay defense differently.
How do people not get this?
The point of all decisions is to win not to be cool.
We're through being cool
eliminate the ninnies and the twits

--Bill "Devo" Belichick

"The slow dwarf" per Ron Borges. Was very over confident despite being mediocre.
....and Sam Madison, Ronde Barber and Al Harris were drafted afterwards.

No one is perfect in the draft but no way BB picks Can't He

to the Jets.
who is Andy?

....and Sam Madison, Ronde Barber and Al Harris were drafted afterwards.

No one is perfect in the draft but no way BB picks Can't He
the Dolphins drafting Madison and then Surtain the next year was unfair. Their defense was stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back