PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer believes Patriots would consider trading Mac to Raiders

I'm fine with how Mac behaved last year. It would be one thing if the offense had terrible luck with injuries and were bad for that reason; in that case, stoicism and traditional stiff upper lip are called for. The guy is in his early 20's and has a life plan that involves creating generational wealth for his family, and the Patriots are being stunningly stupid and putting that at risk. His experience was like being in a family with a seriously ill/disruptive/dangerous person and nobody even acknowledges it is happening. Sometimes it is one of the youngsters who speaks the truth by acting out, and the entire family is better off for it.

If the coach has a problem with what he did, he needs to look in the mirror and understand how bad he made things to drive the QB to that level of frustration.

Correct, BB will not win another division title or conference championship with Mac Jones. I'm not sure he'll even win a single playoff game with him. Remember BB only has 2-3 seasons left.

Do I think the ceiling is higher with Zappe? Probably not too much higher but I'm not sure. I won't mind finding out. However, I'd prefer BB trade Mac and go after a big name QB like Jackson or Rodgers (vomit). Carr is floating around, I would possibly consider him too (but I don't love this option).

You do not know any of this. Last year was not a good year to judge Mac Jones because was set up to fail. Even Burrow or Allen would have struggled in this offense last year. We do not know what his ceiling is yet. You could be right or he could be the next Jalen Hurts.

Last edited:
This isn't going to happen. Adams chooses to leave Green Bay then a year later he's demanding to play with Rodgers or else? I don't think so.

He left to play with Carr, not to get away from Rodgers. And this is what Adams posted on Twitter two weeks ago (since the anti-Mac crowd feels social media is a good indicator about what a player is thinking).

Zappe does not have the arm to be an NFL QB unless you pair him with the best defense and run game in the league. You start the season with him and you should just consider it a total reset season where they are playing for assets and drafting a QB later.

Potentially you can look at at a vet but you are basically rolling the dice on 2-3 years when frankly I don't think the team is all that good to compete anyways and you will have to invest a lot in them.

The most sensible thing is to build more this year at WR and on the offensive line, maybe look for a good secondary player and make this Mac's prove it or lose it year. If he fails, go all in on just getting a QB next year.
Is Zappe's arm weaker than Mac's? Substantially?

Your third option there, building around Mac, is one way to go about it, and it's probably the current plan. In my opinion every move BB makes around Mac will have to perfect for the team to be postseason competitive. BB already trashed an entire season with Patricia and I think he whiffed on the Thornton pick. BB needs to do much better getting his team ready for next season.

I like bringing a veteran starting quarterback. If he gets it right then It will provide BB with the best opportunity of ending his career on a high note.

All anyone who starts for the 49ers does is win. The Patriots are not the 49ers.

And BTW, when Brock Purdy was starting, how many games did Jimmy personally win? The guy cannot stay on the field.
Lol that’s just so wrong.

Since Shanahan is the coach of the 49ers until before this year, they are 35-16 when Jimmy starts. They are 9-29 when he isn’t. So no, not anyone can win with the 49ers.

I’ll give you Purdy but he is the only one who has been able to win other than Jimmy G.

The only problem of Jimmy is that he isn’t able to stay on the field but when he is, he is winning. Also he is top 5 or top 3 in winning percentage among active QB with more than 50 games.

McDaniels is under pressure to fix the team. Getting a QB that Adams wants isn't going to fix the team. McDaniels needs to get the QB who fits his system best and McDaniels, not Adams, thinks will be best to succeed. If the QB gets Adams the ball and the Raiders win, Adams will be fine with whatever QB that is.
I'll single out this paragraph because I think we can reach common ground. Firstly, I'm not arguing Adams will only play with Rodgers or Carr. I'm arguing Adams wants any quarterback he can believe in (which probably isn't a long list). I agree McDaniels needs to get a QB who best fits his system, which also will be great for Adams because he's so talented that he'll be prolific in virtually any offense. But that QB can't be Mac (he's not good enough) or Garoppolo (he's not durable enough).

So ultimately what McDaniels needs for a QB (maximizing the strengths of his system) jells with what Adams wants. What Josh really needs is to coax Brady out of retirement.

Interesting to think on. I don’t think it’ll happen but it’s not totally farfetched. Bill trades Mac for pick #38 and signs Garoppolo, then uses #14 and #38 to fill the gaps at WR or CB and tackle? Then plans for Garoppolo to start for gives Zappe a shot at the job. Or perhaps just goes with Zappe, drafts another QB, signs a cheaper vet and uses the cap on other tools.

Again, unlikely stuff but it’s interesting to think on the potential scenarios. In all likelihood it’ll be Mac in ‘23.
What about the gaping holes at tackle?

Since Shanahan is the coach of the 49ers until before this year, they are 35-16 when Jimmy starts. They are 9-29 when he isn’t. So no, not anyone can win with the 49ers.

I’ll give you Purdy but he is the only one who has been able to win other than Jimmy G.

The only problem of Jimmy is that he isn’t able to stay on the field but when he is, he is winning. Also he is top 5 or top 3 in winning percentage among active QB with more than 50 games.

Shanahan inherited a 2-14 team. He had a team with no talent and had to build a team in his image. That took him two years to do. The only year he had a losing record after he built a team that fit his system was 2020 when he had Nick Mullens and CJ Beatheard starting (because Jimmy tore his ACL after six games). So I should have clarified it with any competent QB.

Last edited:
I'll single out this paragraph because I think we can reach common ground. Firstly, I'm not arguing Adams will only play with Rodgers or Carr. I'm arguing Adams wants any quarterback he can believe in (which probably isn't a long list). I agree McDaniels needs to get a QB who best fits his system, which also will be great for Adams because he's so talented that he'll be prolific in virtually any offense. But that QB can't be Mac (he's not good enough) or Garoppolo (he's not durable enough).

So ultimately what McDaniels needs for a QB (maximizing the strengths of his system) jells with what Adams wants. What Josh really needs is to coax Brady out of retirement.

Again, Adams will be happy with any QB that gets him the ball and the team wins. McDaniels doesn't need to get approval or buy in from Adams to make a move.

And as far you know, maybe Adams thinks Mac Jones could be a very good QB in the right situation.

You do not any of this. Last year was not a good year to judge Mac Jones because was set up to fail. Even Burrow or Allen would have struggled in this offense last year. We do not know what his ceiling is yet. You could be right or he could be the next Jalen Hurts.
Who's the next Jalen Hurts? Mac Jones? Um, Hurts rushes for 700+ yards per season with 10+ rushing TDs. He's also a good passing QB. 2nd in NFL MVP voting. Coming off a phenomenal Super Bowl performance (minus the GD fumble). So, yeah.

I feel like I have a pretty good idea of Mac's ceiling. Hopefully he can exceed my expectations but there's no way he's ever matching the output of QBs like Allen and Burrow. (Although I think Mac with those Bengals WRs would provide a big boost for him.)

Who's the next Jalen Hurts? Mac Jones? Um, Hurts rushes for 700+ yards per season with 10+ rushing TDs. He's also a good passing QB. 2nd in NFL MVP voting. Coming off a phenomenal Super Bowl performance (minus the GD fumble). So, yeah.

I feel like I have a pretty good idea of Mac's ceiling. Hopefully he can exceed my expectations but there's no way he's ever matching the output of QBs like Allen and Burrow. (Although I think Mac with those Bengals WRs would provide a big boost for him.)

I mean an average or mediocre QB who turns into a very good QB with a great o-line and receivers and a strong focus on the running game. And I don't think Hurts is a definitely better passer than Jones. His arm strength definitely isn't much stronger.

Again, Adams will be happy with any QB that gets him the ball and the team wins.
Agreed!

And as far you know, maybe Adams thinks Mac Jones could be a very good QB in the right situation.
I don't know what Adams thinks of Mac Jones but I would trust his ability to evaluate quarterbacks. Enough said.

Ironically Purdy got hurt in less games than Jimmy Go_O

Agreed!

I don't know what Adams thinks of Mac Jones but I would trust his ability to evaluate quarterbacks. Enough said.
I think it's less about "what QB is the best" and more about the fact that they're running Josh's system and Mac can run Josh's system and is cheap. The Raiders could blow their picks and cap space on Rodgers or they could just use their picks on Mac, not use much cap space, and then still have a pretty healthy amount of cap space left to shore up their defense. Or they could just re-sign Stidham I guess, but I doubt anyone thinks Stidham has a high ceiling.

Mac Jones is by far the best QB this franchise has ever had. He's not going anywhere, much to the dismay of his virgin haters.

I mean an average or mediocre QB who turns into a very good QB with a great o-line and receivers and a strong focus on the running game. And I don't think Hurts is a definitely better passer than Jones. His arm strength definitely isn't much stronger.
I've always admired Hurts and his Super Bowl performance makes me appreciate him more. I'm big on these dual threat QBs (Hurts, Fields, Jackson, Allen). Allen is the best because he also has a great arm. Jackson needs a fresh start with a new team (with good WRs). Fields needs anyone to throw to, anyone, it will be criminal if they don't get him some WRs for next season.

I've always admired Hurts and his Super Bowl performance makes me appreciate him more. I'm big on these dual threat QBs (Hurts, Fields, Jackson, Allen). Allen is the best because he also has a great arm. Jackson needs a fresh start with a new team (with good WRs). Fields needs anyone to throw to, anyone, it will be criminal if they don't get him some WRs for next season.

Hurts did a lot running the ball in the Super Bowl, but I wasn't all that impressed by his passing. I just showed two TDs the Eagles got either made or set up by the receivers making adjustments on bad throws in the Mac Jones training thread. I'll post them here.

I think it's less about "what QB is the best" and more about the fact that they're running Josh's system and Mac can run Josh's system and is cheap. The Raiders could blow their picks and cap space on Rodgers or they could just use their picks on Mac, not use much cap space, and then still have a pretty healthy amount of cap space left to shore up their defense. Or they could just re-sign Stidham I guess, but I doubt anyone thinks Stidham has a high ceiling.
Josh will be unemployed next January if Stidham or Jones is his QB for next season.

This throw was underthrown to Smith and Smith was just so open he could slow down and catch it. I have seen people on this board kill Mac Jones for a throw similar to this. If Hurts hit Smith in stride, it would have been a TD.

This pass was way off target and Brown made the adjustment and got it.

Again, both those passes if Jones made them, some of the same people who are amazed by Hurts would be complaining about Jones' noodle arm. Both passes were off target and slow to get down the field.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back