PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer believes Patriots would consider trading Mac to Raiders

I don’t see the Pats trading Jones for less than a first. So it ain’t happening.
Truth

No GM is dumb enough to spend a 1st on Corky Mac.
I don’t think they will even entertain an offer for a trade unless it is a first and other picks.
If a team offered more than a 1st BB would drive Jones to his new team in his own car.
I don’t see the Pats giving up on Jones after a promising rookie season and Belichick and Patricia sabotaging his second season.
Promising is all a myth and fantasy.

Corky beat 3 winning teams in 2021

W @ 11 - 6 Bills......2 comp - 3 att - 19 yards - 0 td - 0 int
W 9 - 8 Chargers -18 comp - 35 att - 217 yards - 0 td - 0 int
W 12 - 5 Titans.......23 comp - 32 att - 310 yards - 2 td - 0 int Jones must have had a rabbits foot in his shoe that day, it was his best game ever.
.....................................43 comp - 70 att - 536 yards - 2 td - 0 int

Cork padded his numbers vs 7 of the losing franchises. When Zappe wins vs teams like the next 7 its because they are terrible teams. When Cork Jones wins its because he is promising and ...."The Guy" so fire everyone holding this great QB back.

W @ 4 - 13 Jets.186 yards - 0 tds - 0 int
W 4 - 13 Jets.......307 yards - 2 tds - 0 int
W 8 - 9 Browns 198 yards - 3 tds - 0 int
W 7 - 10 Falcons 207 yards - 1 td - 1 int
W 5 - 12 Panthers 139 yards - 1 td - 1 int
W 3 - 14 Jaguars 227 yards 3 tds - 0 int
W 4 - 13 Texans 231 yards -1 td - 1 int

50% of Jones 2021 TDs were made vs the worst teams in 2021. The highest ranked defense from these teams was the Browns at 13th .

Browns 13th defense and 20th offense
Jets 32nd defense and 28th offense
Jags 28th defense and 32nd offense
Falcons 26th defense and 29th offense
Panthers 29th defense and 21st offense
Texans 27th defense and 30th offense

This all explains why the NFL caught up the Fraud in 2022. Blame all the folks that you want, but they did not throw the INTs and they were not the ones who could not keep the Pats offense moving and on the field.

This is never going to happen....

They would run McDaniels out of town if he traded the #7 pick for Mac Jones. They jut released David Carr and got no compensation for him. By any measurable aside from age, Carr is better than Mac. Now you want them to trade the 7th pick in the draft for him?

The Mayock experiment will haunt the Raiders for years, I've never seen a team squander so many first round picks, hell even the Jets find a nut now and then. Just goes to show you how good any "expert" on TV really is. Reminds me of the old adage, "those that can, do, those that can't, teach!"
It's trading a first for Jones and a mid-round 2nd.

They need a QB. If they don't get one in FA, who's coming out at 7 that would be ready to carry that team?
If - again, IF - Josh and Ziegler really love Mac, the trade makes sense for them. Huge risk, sure - at this point, they need to do something big.
Who are they taking at 7?

If not a QB, you think they roll with Stidham?

I don't think Bill is as infatuated with Jimmy as he was when Jimmy was a Pat. Two years ago, he had the opportunity to trade #15 for Jimmy but instead drafted Mac. If we're going to bring up how much Bill loved Jimmy years ago, I think it's just as fair to point out that Bill was pissed when Jimmy refused to play hurt and they were forced to turn to the third-string QB. Everything from Jimmy's career since then has confirmed that he's made of glass.

I think the reports that Bill is so angry at Mac for showing his emotions in a losing season that he's now willing to essentially reverse his call two years ago aren't very believable.
One key thing to realize though is he would have had to trade #15 for Jimmy and his then $25M a year salary. Now he can sign him for nothing and probably also pay him less (IMO). There’s a big difference between a mid 1st and more money, and zero picks and less money.

Chris Gasper was talking about this a couple of weeks ago. his scenario was this:
Pats send Mac and their second for LV's 1st (pick 7).
His reasoning was that Josh really liked Mac, as did Ziegler. He was THEIR pick, according to Gasper. If they don't see a better QB at 7 - he didn't think they would - they get their QB.

For the Pats, he said BB wasn't thrilled with Mac right now (we can all see that) and that Kraft really loved Jimmy G and BB liked him, as well. And to top it off, Jimmy was a fan favorite here, undeniably.

So in Gasper's scenario, the Pats sign Jimmy G and have picks 7 and 14 to play with and bring in some talent, while the Raiders get their QB for their first pick (two years and lots of playing time under his belt and still with 3 years of cheap control) AND get a mid-round second to boot.

I hate to say it, but it makes sense when you look at it that way. If BB and RK prefer Jimmy and can get him, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

If Belichick replaces Jones with Garoppolo, he isn't serious about winning. The guy cannot stay on the field. And according to former players like Martellus Bennett and Edelman, Garoppolo is soft and won't play through injuries. I don't know if Kraft and Belichick are in love with Jimmy G as much as the media tries to portray them. Any team that signs Garoppolo needs to sign a starting quality back up QB who can start for 5-6 games because the odds are good that the back up is going to have to start 5-6 games if Garoppolo is the starter.

And I don't know if Jones was McDaniels and Ziegler's pick either. That may be just speculation on Gasper's part.

Yeah there’s a group of Lombardi’s and a flaming JETE dumpster fire. The first icon ties into the “upvote” system we had before, where many upvotes on a post would give it some recognition. The dumpster is currently just localized and not an aggregate (doesn’t accumulate with other people who click it from an end-user point of view) but we can see it on the back end if a ton of people are clicking it on a specific post. It’s kind of like the Report button but obviously far less severe and you don’t need to fill anything out.
lol my bad tried to even it up. I was trying to peak in and get a good look. Thought I might be able to tap it again to make it go back.

lol my bad tried to even it up. I was trying to peak in and get a good look. Thought I might be able to tap it again to make it go back.
You can refresh the page and it should allow you to change it.

I don't think Bill is as infatuated with Jimmy as he was when Jimmy was a Pat. Two years ago, he had the opportunity to trade #15 for Jimmy but instead drafted Mac. If we're going to bring up how much Bill loved Jimmy years ago, I think it's just as fair to point out that Bill was pissed when Jimmy refused to play hurt and they were forced to turn to the third-string QB. Everything from Jimmy's career since then has confirmed that he's made of glass.

I think the reports that Bill is so angry at Mac for showing his emotions in a losing season that he's now willing to essentially reverse his call two years ago aren't very believable.
This.

I don't get the love for Jimmy G. Dude is made of glass and has accomplished exactly ****. Let the Jete sign him when they lose out on Rodgers and Carr. Then he'll get hurt week 6 and they'll be stuck with The MILF Lover or whatever jag they've got at QB3.

Gasper's trade for a 7th and keeping the 14th makes a little sense, but the team has big holes and paying Jimmy G or David Carr a QB vet's salary eats up a lot of cap. That money can be spent other places and keep Mac's rookie deal. If they thought Zappe was the guy, then maybe they'd bail on Mac, pick up the 7th pick and still have the low salary at the position. I doubt that they think that, regardless of what a few posters think here.

And, yeah, I mentioned Rodgers.
Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

Even on the Pats Jimmy G. has proven that he is not durable/mentally tough enough to be a starting QB. Trading Mac because he let his emotions get the best of him dealing with a giant cluster in his second year is ridiculous. I am sure that BB did not like how Mac handled things last year. I am also sure that he already addressed those concerns which helped Mac stabilize his demeanor at the end of last season. Trading him now essentially because he did not like what MP and JJ were doing last year would demoralize the team and prolong the malaise. The only way that Mac is not the starter next year is if Zappe beats him out in TC. Let Mac and the rest of the players come to camp with a chip on their shoulders ready to put 2022 behind them.

Truth

No GM is dumb enough to spend a 1st on Corky Mac.

If a team offered more than a 1st BB would drive Jones to his new team in his own car.

Promising is all a myth and fantasy.

Corky beat 3 winning teams in 2021

W @ 11 - 6 Bills......2 comp - 3 att - 19 yards - 0 td - 0 int
W 9 - 8 Chargers -18 comp - 35 att - 217 yards - 0 td - 0 int
W 12 - 5 Titans.......23 comp - 32 att - 310 yards - 2 td - 0 int Jones must have had a rabbits foot in his shoe that day, it was his best game ever.
.....................................43 comp - 70 att - 536 yards - 2 td - 0 int

Cork padded his numbers vs 7 of the losing franchises. When Zappe wins vs teams like the next 7 its because they are terrible teams. When Cork Jones wins its because he is promising and ...."The Guy" so fire everyone holding this great QB back.

W @ 4 - 13 Jets.186 yards - 0 tds - 0 int
W 4 - 13 Jets.......307 yards - 2 tds - 0 int
W 8 - 9 Browns 198 yards - 3 tds - 0 int
W 7 - 10 Falcons 207 yards - 1 td - 1 int
W 5 - 12 Panthers 139 yards - 1 td - 1 int
W 3 - 14 Jaguars 227 yards 3 tds - 0 int
W 4 - 13 Texans 231 yards -1 td - 1 int

50% of Jones 2021 TDs were made vs the worst teams in 2021. The highest ranked defense from these teams was the Browns at 13th .

Browns 13th defense and 20th offense
Jets 32nd defense and 28th offense
Jags 28th defense and 32nd offense
Falcons 26th defense and 29th offense
Panthers 29th defense and 21st offense
Texans 27th defense and 30th offense

This all explains why the NFL caught up the Fraud in 2022. Blame all the folks that you want, but they did not throw the INTs and they were not the ones who could not keep the Pats offense moving and on the field.

Stop it. Zappe two games where he wasn't asked to do much and didn't screw up and one good game and one horrible game. He didn't play a complete season. And you are a fraud because you argue the opposite in support of Zappe and don't discount his play because it is against bad teams and now you are arguing Jones only performed against bad defenses.

BTW, the Titans had one of the best defenses in the league in 2021 and that was Jones' second best game of the season. Cleveland was 4th in passing yards allowed.

And again, as a ROOKIE, Jones got 10 wins. He probably would have gotten more this year if he didn't get injured and he had a real offense. Jones is an at least 10-11 win QB with a good OC. Maybe more.

But again, if Belichick is so concerned about getting Shula's record and making big moves to assure that, why would he put Patricia in charge of the offense and change the offensive system to something that didn't fit the players they had on offense to boot? Take Jones out of equation. If anything, it seems like Belichick knows he has Shula's record all locked up and just going through the motions while he runs out the string. The Patricia/Judge move screams a move that made Belichick feel the most comfortable rather than putting the team in the best position to get into the playoffs and seriously contend.

I never say that there is no way a trade will happen. A young probowl qb with 3 years left on his rookie contract might well be worth a high 1st round pick to some teams. I would be surprised but not shocked. The financial advantages are so huge that if possible it really makes sense.

I never say that there is no way a trade will happen. A young probowl qb with 3 years left on his rookie contract might well be worth a high 1st round pick to some teams. I would be surprised but not shocked. The financial advantages are so huge that if possible it really makes sense.
Depends how Josh views Mac compared to how Bill does.
Simply as that.

Even on the Pats Jimmy G. has proven that he is not durable/mentally tough enough to be a starting QB. Trading Mac because he let his emotions get the best of him dealing with a giant cluster in his second year is ridiculous. I am sure that BB did not like how Mac handled things last year. I am also sure that he already addressed those concerns which helped Mac stabilize his demeanor at the end of last season. Trading him now essentially because he did not like what MP and JJ were doing last year would demoralize the team and prolong the malaise. The only way that Mac is not the starter next year is if Zappe beats him out in TC. Let Mac and the rest of the players come to camp with a chip on their shoulders ready to put 2022 behind them.
What's interesting to me is what's come out now that Tom has retired. Bill talked about how Tom saw the field, saw 8 different things, processed the game much better than anyone. Bill definitely knows if Mac has even 80% of the processing ability the Tom had, and same with Zappe. There's more to it than hitting more % of passes in camp, the coaching staff know which guy processes the game better, is a better leader, sees the field better, as well as the measurables of strength and quantifiable stats. We only see the stats. While it would be nice if they told us these things about Mac and Zappe, but that ain't happening.

If Martellus Bennett and Julian Edelman called out Jimmy Garoppolo publically for being a whimp for not playing through the injury, you gotta think that Belichick felt the same way. QBs play through injuries. Look at Mahomes. Hell, even Jones tried to come back right away with the high ankle sprain practicing the Friday after he sprained his ankle.

And even when Garoppolo played a complete (or near complete season0 in an extremely QB friendly 49ers system, he was good not great. And you can argue that Brock Purdy played better than him.

Yeah, I just don't get the Garoppolo love. It is just like everyone who loves the guy only sees the first half of that Dolphins game back in 2016 where he threw 3 TDs and thinks that is what they would be getting if he came back.

When Zappe wins vs teams like the next 7 its because they are terrible teams
If Mac is not an NFL starting QB then Zappe definitely isn't. Mac is a better QB than Zappe.
1 good game out of 4 is not a track record that ought to make any QB a starter over the incumbent.

If Martellus Bennett and Julian Edelman called out Jimmy Garoppolo publically for being a whimp for not playing through the injury, you gotta think that Belichick felt the same way. QBs play through injuries. Look at Mahomes. Hell, even Jones tried to come back right away with the high ankle sprain practicing the Friday after he sprained his ankle.

And even when Garoppolo played a complete (or near complete season0 in an extremely QB friendly 49ers system, he was good not great. And you can argue that Brock Purdy played better than him.

Yeah, I just don't get the Garoppolo love. It is just like everyone who loves the guy only sees the first half of that Dolphins game back in 2016 where he threw 3 TDs and thinks that is what they would be getting if he came back.
I have always felt that he's been getting bad advice about playing hurt. You're a middle of the road guy with a fat contract. Play hurt and suck, and you'll never get another good contract. Better to sit with a hangnail than suck because of it. Obviously I am being hyperbolic and exaggerating, but I do think he's been advised to not battle thru injuries. Jules and Marty calling him out shows he isn't a leader.

I swear some of the love for Jimmy G is because of his movie star good looks.

Stop it. Zappe two games where he wasn't asked to do much and didn't screw up and one good game and one horrible game. He didn't play a complete season. And you are a fraud because you argue the opposite in support of Zappe and don't discount his play because it is against bad teams and now you are arguing Jones only performed against bad defenses.

BTW, the Titans had one of the best defenses in the league in 2021 and that was Jones' second best game of the season. Cleveland was 4th in passing yards allowed.

And again, as a ROOKIE, Jones got 10 wins. He probably would have gotten more this year if he didn't get injured and he had a real offense. Jones is an at least 10-11 win QB with a good OC. Maybe more.

But again, if Belichick is so concerned about getting Shula's record and making big moves to assure that, why would he put Patricia in charge of the offense and change the offensive system to something that didn't fit the players they had on offense to boot? Take Jones out of equation. If anything, it seems like Belichick knows he has Shula's record all locked up and just going through the motions while he runs out the string. The Patricia/Judge move screams a move that made Belichick feel the most comfortable rather than putting the team in the best position to get into the playoffs and seriously contend.
Did Zappe even throw past the line of scrimmage in the GB game more than a half dozen times?

If Mac is not an NFL starting QB then Zappe definitely isn't. Mac is a better QB than Zappe.
1 good game out of 4 is not a track record that ought to make any QB a starter over the incumbent.
Bang that drum some more. You keep saying this with nothing to back you up. It gets tiring calling you out on it. We get it, you don't like Zappe, lets see if he gets a chance in preseason and if he looks good, if he doesn't you can spout **** all you want. As of right now, as a rookie he has much better stats then Brady did.

I usually find that people who make definitive statements with little to nothing to back those statement up have a really low iq. Don't be that guy.

Bang that drum some more. You keep saying this with nothing to back you up. It gets tiring calling you out on it. We get it, you don't like Zappe, lets see if he gets a chance in preseason and if he looks good, if he doesn't you can spout **** all you want. As of right now, as a rookie he has much better stats then Brady did.

Come on! That last line was a bit laughable. Zach Wilson had much better stats as a rookie than Brady. Should the Pats trade for Wilson? How about Davis Mills who had much better stats than Brady or Wilson combined?

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
Never said I didn't like Zappe. Kid seems likeable I guess.

I also don't think he's very good at least on the level of an NFL starter and definitely not as good people want to think he is. I don't want him starting for my team until and unless he proves otherwise and Mac craps the bed.

1 good game out of 4 is not evidence that he's a good QB worthy of starting. It's evidence he can be a backup QB in this league. Mike White threw for 400 yards once in a game. Zappe never did anything close to that.

"I don't like Mac Jones" ==/== Zappe is a good QB

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back