PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: Solder Gone For Season. Will Have Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
pity and sad...Solder allready out 'only' in middle october...now Vollmer LT and Cannon RT ?

normally our OL has showed an amazing good flexibility

let's hope this will continue

pity and sad...Solder allready out 'only' in middle october...now Vollmer LT and Cannon RT ?

We are dealing with a top player going down with a season ending injury in the first half of the season in the past years, the bright side is that there is enough time to adjust and grow a replacement. It's much more complicated to do some sort of damage control in week 16 or 17.

Please be reminded, the Pats also lost their fullback. So, that's two big players for the Pats down and out. Now, what were those other teams telling us about their injuries? :rolleyes:
Not sure Develin really counts as a big time injury like a Tony Romo or Dez Bryant....Patriots have been pretty fortune so far with only one key injury in Solder. Last year's health was a huge reason they finally won the SB again.

We are dealing with a top player going down with a season ending injury in the first half of the season in the past years, the bright side is that there is enough time to adjust and grow a replacement. It's much more complicated to do some sort of damage control in week 16 or 17.
Yup. Welker in 09 was an absolute killer of our season.

I think this injury is definitely survivable. But its not one that we can scoff at either. With the way the offensive passing game is run, and our teams coaching ability and flexibility with lineman, we should be good later on in the season.

To me these are the guys we would be in big trouble losing:

Brady
Gronk
Edelman
Vollmer
Collins
Butler
McCourty

Maybe Lewis and Sheard, but we survived without the likes of these guys last year so that's my reasoning. I also considered Hightower but I feel that having Mayo would help ease the pain of losing him if it were to happen.

I don't include most players on the front seven because of the great depth we have there. Only Collins would be a devastating loss because of what type of player he is.

Don't forget about the GIaints. They always find a way :) to play us when our offensive line is depleted.

The G-Men won't have overpriced Mankins to abuse.:eek:o_O

I also wouldn't mind SeaBass Vollmer at LT with Marcus Cannon playing the Strong side.

I think this injury is definitely survivable. But its not one that we can scoff at either. With the way the offensive passing game is run, and our teams coaching ability and flexibility with lineman, we should be good later on in the season.

To me these are the guys we would be in big trouble losing:

Brady
Gronk
Edelman
Vollmer
Collins
Butler
McCourty

Maybe Lewis and Sheard, but we survived without the likes of these guys last year so that's my reasoning. I also considered Hightower but I feel that having Mayo would help ease the pain of losing him if it were to happen.

I don't include most players on the front seven because of the great depth we have there. Only Collins would be a devastating loss because of what type of player he is.

Agreed but I would definitely add Hightower to your list, he's playing lights out.

Agreed but I would definitely add Hightower to your list, he's playing lights out.
He is I'm just going by what we have if he were to be lost for the year. Mayo is similar to him in many ways. It would be a big loss but not a devastating loss. If we didn't have Mayo then yes it certainly would be.

Not sure Develin really counts as a big time injury like a Tony Romo or Dez Bryant....Patriots have been pretty fortune so far with only one key injury in Solder. Last year's health was a huge reason they finally won the SB again.

Brandon LaFell and Brian Stork?

You mentioned that Gugs said there is only one LT in the league he would take over Soldier. Those are just words, but I would argue that one can get a true feel for how much the Patriots value him by how much they are paying him.

Guess who has the highest average salary on the team? Soldier at $10M per year. Clearly Soldier is one of the most highly valued guys on the team. It is good that we have a capable replacement (that is why we are paying Cannon an average salary of $4.5M per year), but Soldier is obviously a huge loss.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/

No. Solder does not have the highest average Salary at $10M per year.. Their information is incorrect.

I suggest you use either Miguel's Cap page (http://www.patscap.com) or Over The Cap (http://overthecap.com/player/nate-solder/1235/)

Solder's Cap HIT in 2016 and 2017 will be over 10M, but that is NOT his salary.. His salary will be $6M and 6.5M respectively..

When I heard that Solder went down with the bicep, my first inkling was whether or not the Pats would look to bring back Mankins.. Then I saw that his salary.. Pro-rated, he'd be $4.37M, which the Pats can't fit under their cap currently..

No. Solder does not have the highest average Salary at $10M per year.. Their information is incorrect.

I suggest you use either Miguel's Cap page (Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2015 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page) or Over The Cap (Nate Solder Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap)

Solder's Cap HIT in 2016 and 2017 will be over 10M, but that is NOT his salary.. His salary will be $6M and 6.5M respectively..

The website I used essentially lumped all compensation (salary, bonuses, etc.) into something they called "average salary", which is really his total compensation averaged out by year. However, I agree that is confusing, I should have used clearer wording and called it "average compensation per year" or something, thanks for the correction and clarification.

Last edited:
They're coming back at least (Stork hopefully anyways...) we're still in great shape. Every team gets hurt. This isn't anything like 2005 or 2013.

Understood. However, I specifically remember many Patriot players mentioning how big a member of the team Develin is; how hard he works; etc... Consider that on a real team, players like this can be every bit as important to their team as those who put up the big stats. FYI: not all football clubs are real teams per se. Some are simply effective work groups operating under the "team" label. Perhaps, that's why they are not as consistent as the Patriots?

And here's another perspective. The New England Patriots are a tough team to make. If you're on that team, you are a very good football player and valuable. They don't really waste any roster spots. And if one has that position nailed down for a period of time, one is just that- very valuable.

And there's the positional perspective. Yes, the Pats are fortunate- this year -to not have other positional players go down. Of course, they have, like many other team, in the past. It's always that situational play where one might say: See, if so-and-so were in there, we would have made that play. Sometimes it changes the results of a game.

Perhaps, I'm giving too many props to Develin? But so did his teammates went he went down. And now we're hearing it about Nate.

Indeed. How could I have forgotten them? :oops:

As I mentioned in a post within this thread, we could discuss injuries per position, person, salary, etc... However, the original point was that the Pats have players out, as well. And when Brady and Gronk went down, nobody on opposing teams cared. Many were glad they didn't have to face them.

If David Andrews weren't so good and the Pats weren't doing as well, perhaps, we'd be chatting about their return more often? Same with the receiving core.

Understood. However, I specifically remember many Patriot players mentioning how big a member of the team Develin is; how hard he works; etc... Consider that on a real team, players like this can be every bit as important to their team as those who put up the big stats. FYI: not all football clubs are real teams per se. Some are simply effective work groups operating under the "team" label. Perhaps, that's why they are not as consistent as the Patriots?

And here's another perspective. The New England Patriots are a tough team to make. If you're on that team, you are a very good football player and valuable. They don't really waste any roster spots. And if one has that position nailed down for a period of time, one is just that- very valuable.

And there's the positional perspective. Yes, the Pats are fortunate- this year -to not have other positional players go down. Of course, they have, like many other team, in the past. It's always that situational play where one might say: See, if so-and-so were in there, we would have made that play. Sometimes it changes the results of a game.

Perhaps, I'm giving too many props to Develin? But so did his teammates went he went down. And now we're hearing it about Nate.
Don't get me wrong, I love Develin but he's not a major player. Someone else made a great point about Andrews tho replacing Stork. I'm not so sure Stork is even returning with the whole concussion thing but Patriots were confident enough to temp IR him so we'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I love Develin but he's not a major player. Someone else made a great point about Andrews tho replacing Stork. I'm not so sure Stork is even returning with the whole concussion thing but Patriots were confident enough to temp IR him so we'll see.

Devlin served as FB, TE/H-back and ST guy. He's not a core guy in the vein of Brady/Gronk, but they're using 3+ players just to try making up for his loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back