PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: Diggs traded to Texans

The personality thing is overrated IMO…I don’t think his teammates care if he plays well.
Overrated as an issue in general, but it is like a ticking time bomb, if/when it goes off it can cause a lot of damage.

Football is a team sport, all it takes is one or two guys to be distracted or uncomfortable around him and it only takes one or two bad plays to end a playoff run.

I mean the guy could just have the self-awareness to STFU and keep his opinions to himself, but we're well past that point.

Buffalo had to to do it - his contract was getting nuts (28M this year, nothing guaranteed past it) and he's been a distraction for a couple of years.

The Bills are in rebuild...
bills are stuck with $40 mil in dead money, and all they got back was a 2nd rounder next year

The draft pick won't even help Buffalo this season.

That slamming sound you hear is the window closing on Buffalo's championship run.

Cousins,

In the mean time back on the Foxborough Farm, they are pulling their bajakas and deciding if they should actually call the Bengals about Higgins or make the offer I perhaps might suggest of swapping our #34 in the second round for the Niners #63 in the second round and a 6th for Aiyuk.........Nah...why would we do that?

Who hired this Wolf guy anyway?
DW Toys
Come on, you’re just barking without evidence. You have no idea what the Pats have done behind the scenes trying to acquire a WR. I doubt they’ve just been sitting on their hands.

WRs don’t want to come to NE right now without a proven QB. Tom Brady ain’t walking through that door next season.

We’re gonna have to build this team through the draft…at least in the beginning stages of this new regime. Top end talent will come once we start to win.

That’s the boat we’re in at the moment. We’re essentially starting from scratch, particularly with the offense.

I don’t think that’s really in question. I’d take the Texans for sure based on talent. Now will they all mesh well and form a good team. Talent wise, I’d put Stroud, Mixon, Diggs, Collins, Dell, and Schultz up there with anyone.

This deal makes me wonder if Buffalo will go after Higgins or Aiyuk
Good question! Personally I like Higgins. I believe he's just what we need on the outside. How Houston is stacked. Don't we play them this season? I'm happy we have the defense that can slow an offense like Texans.

Might as well hand KC the Lombardi right now.

Buffalo is cursed. 4 consecutive Super Bowl losses. They finally have a QB but find a way to lose when its go time.

The curse of OJ.

Another brick in the wall proving that talent is out there at WR, waiting to be had, but NE doesn't care enough to get it.
Diggs is more name than game these days.

Even if Diggs only cost next year's 2nd, we're better off just keeping next year's 2nd till we have better answers at QB and OL.

We’re essentially starting from scratch, particularly with the offense.

We are not starting from scratch with the defense. With the offense I agree, and if we swing and miss on the QB, it will be a long 3+ years ahead.

I think its a good move for Buffalo. Unless he was hurt Diggs clearly looked to have lost a step last year. No ability to beat anyone deep, not too much run after the catch. Certainly didn't take over any games for them.

Plus this looks to be Buffalo's retool year. They still have Josh Allen, the same OL, and a lot of the same Defense so they'll still be competitive, but are taking huge hits in 2024 to have a LOT of cap room starting in 2025. I'm guessing their goal is get rid of the old/expensive, and reload up younger and faster in 2025 for the 2nd half of Allen's career.

Diggs is not the answer.
He's a much better player than anyone that we've got at WR. And that's not even the point. The point is that NE hasn't made it happen at offensive skill positions. They've failed, at least so far.

Another brick in the wall proving that talent is out there at WR, waiting to be had, but NE doesn't care enough to get it.
Come on. I'm for this argument in a general sense, but Diggs was never getting traded here.

We are not starting from scratch with the defense. With the offense I agree, and if we swing and miss on the QB, it will be a long 3+ years ahead.
I agree…the D is in excellent shape overall. We just need to add depth and figure out the S situation but I'm not too worried about the D.

As you said, we need to hit on who our next franchise QB will be. It will be interesting to see how the Pats attack this…do they add the pieces first (starting LT/WR1) and then go after the QB or vice versa? With a good draft we can address 2 of these issues, but addressing all 3 probably isn’t a realistic expectation.

Come on. I'm for this argument in a general sense, but Diggs was never getting traded here.
I'm not sure the Pats would want him. They aren't competing for deep playoff runs anytime soon, and a player like Diggs would probably get frustrated with that and make a lot of noise. But more importantly....

He's going to be 31 this year, is signed for 4 more seaons, didn't break 100 yards receiving in ANY of the last 13 games, was a no-show (3 catches, 21 yards) in the playoff game vs the Chiefs where the Bills had a chance to win up until the last minute. In 7 of his last 13 games he didn't even break 50 yards. He has shown very little ability to seperate anymore and make big downfield plays. And that is while he is playing with Josh Allen.

Unless Diggs was injured and playing though it he really looks like he is sliding fast.

He's a much better player than anyone that we've got at WR. And that's not even the point. The point is that NE hasn't made it happen at offensive skill positions. They've failed, at least so far.
Top end offensive talent will be reluctant to come here until we start winning.

Let’s see if we have a successful draft and if we improve the W column next season. That will give us more possibilities in next year’s FA market.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back