PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: Diggs traded to Texans

Plenty of Bill's fans not complaining about the loss of Davis. To your point, they will almost certainly be drafting a WR.

Right, but if I'm reading the following link correctly the pre-June1 trade of Diggs creates $31,096,000 of accelerated dead money that needs to be eaten over the next two seasons.

So, they definitely will need to hit on WR because they need a cheap replacement.

And, overall, I think it's fair to say BUF was viewed as a team without much depth last season and it's only getting worse as they are saddled with both Allen's contract and the cap hit for releasing/trading veterans.

So, they will need to hit on a lot of draft picks as they don't have the money to do what the Texans just did, acquire a big-name vet to fill a hole.

Texans are determined to not waste an ounce of CJ Strouds talent. That team has a vision/plan and have executed said plan.
Hopefully we get a talent in the realm of Stroud and have a similar plan in place.
Or at least determined to pay for talent while Stroud is on that cheap rookie deal. Then 4 years from now they will be looking into cost cutting like Buffalo is doing.

I'd I'm being honest feels like the Texans project to be better than bills.
I don’t think that’s really in question. I’d take the Texans for sure based on talent. Now will they all mesh well and form a good team. Talent wise, I’d put Stroud, Mixon, Diggs, Collins, Dell, and Schultz up there with anyone.

This deal makes me wonder if Buffalo will go after Higgins or Aiyuk

Wow…Buffalo legit beatable this year. Jets/Phins SHOULD both still be better than Pats though
Cousins,

In the mean time back on the Foxborough Farm, they are pulling their bajakas and deciding if they should actually call the Bengals about Higgins or make the offer I perhaps might suggest of swapping our #34 in the second round for the Niners #63 in the second round and a 6th for Aiyuk.........Nah...why would we do that?

Who hired this Wolf guy anyway?
DW Toys

I said to someone recently that the Diggs situation was starting to look eerily similar to 2009 when Moss started barking at Brady about getting him the ball, which ultimately saw them move him.
Moss' deteriorating attitude in NE stemmed from disappointment over his contract situation

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Buffalo's weapons:

WR - Curtis Samuel, Mack Hollins, Khalil Shakir
TE - Dalton Kincaid, Dawson Knox
RB - James Cook

Kincaid is a very good player, and I think Samuel's underrated (wanted the Pats to sign him), but overall this is not a good offense. QB aside, it's not really any better than NE's. On paper, I think Buffalo has to be viewed as 3rd in the division at this stage, but we'll see how the draft goes.

Also worth noting that Buffalo, Miami and the Jets are all cap-strapped at this point and essentially all just have enough cash to sign their draft picks and that's it. So their rosters are largely set besides draftees, baring any other big moves.

Diggs will carry $31.096 million in dead money for the Bills, a record for a non-QB by about $4 million. The prior record was for an in-season trade where salary was picked up by the team. The team will lose about $4 million in net cap space with the trade. Diggs was originally under contract in 2022 and 2023 and the new contract signed by the Bills wound up giving a raise of just under $20.9 million for those two seasons. They could have walked free and clear had they not signed the extension. Now they will have paid that extra money to come back with a 2nd round pick while also giving up a 6th and a 5th which makes this an incredibly expensive trade.

This seems to be an interesting take on the trade.

If I'm understanding it correctly, when they say the "net" cap hit is $4M they are saying that it is $4M more hit than if they had just kept Diggs.

The end result is they have Diggs's old cap on an accelerated basis (spread all future hits over two seasons), and don't have Diggs.

They do get a 2nd, but it's next year's second, while they give up this year's 6th and next year's 5th.

So they lose the player Diggs and a late draft pick this year and next yet while still having Digg's salary on their cap on an accelerated basis.

Whatever lotto pick the 6th represented is gone for this season, and a lotto pick next season too, with a hope that next year's 2nd hits.

Meanwhile they have a position to fill this year and a cap hit spread across this season and next.

IMO the Sportrac piece undersells how bad a deal this is from Buffalo's perspective.

This means that Buffalo REALLY wanted to move on from Diggs and this was the best deal they could find.

This highlights the idea that BUF knows their window is now closed and they're getting rid of expensive players now hoping they can get better in the future.

Last edited:
This seems to be an interesting take on the trade.

The "net" cap hit is $4M, but still they have Diggs's old cap hit plus the acceleration, and don't have Diggs.

They do get a 2nd, but it's next year's second, while they give up this year's 6th and next year's 5th.

So they lose the player Diggs and a late draft pick this year and next yet while still having Digg's salary on their cap on an accelerated basis.

Whatever lotto pick the 6th represented is gone for this season, and a lotto pick next season too, with a hope that next year's 2nd hits.

Meanwhile they have a position to fill this year and a cap hit spread across this season and next.
Yeah, and they do not pick until #28 this year, when all blue-chip WRs are gone, and they have barely enough cap space to sign their draft class and that's about it. They can still get a really good WR at #28 but not a >90% WR1 (MHJ, Odunze, Nabers), more likely a guy that you hope can be. Theoretically they could try to trade up to ~10 but that also would be very expensive.

That's wild. Texans are legit. They are stacked, and don't really have a weak area.
We'll see how Stroud can do in his 2nd year, but they should be seen as a lock for a playoff spot in the AFC.

If Rodgers isn’t himself after the achilles, and Dolphins D continues to suck, Pats COULD have a puncher’s chance at a WC spot IF the offense is even average. But…admittedly a big if considering the roster as currently built

Diggs is a giant pain in the ass. Worn out his welcome on two teams. He will do well for a year in Houston, then the *****ing will commence. Not the right player for the Pats at this time.
They weren't going to trade him in the division. ( Yes I remember Bledsoe to Bills).

Diggs will carry $31.096 million in dead money for the Bills, a record for a non-QB by about $4 million. The prior record was for an in-season trade where salary was picked up by the team. The team will lose about $4 million in net cap space with the trade. Diggs was originally under contract in 2022 and 2023 and the new contract signed by the Bills wound up giving a raise of just under $20.9 million for those two seasons. They could have walked free and clear had they not signed the extension. Now they will have paid that extra money to come back with a 2ndround pick while also giving up a 6th and a 5th which makes this an incredibly expensive trade.
Wherever the Pats draft a WR in Day 1 or 2, they... can... not... f*... it... up... this time. All the late round/udfa stories are great especially as Beankies, but I miss me some Terry Glenndronach.

IMG_9884.jpeg

The pats have defended Josh Allen well after his hot streak from 2020-2022. Only one QB has ran 100+ times age 28 or later & that was Vick in 2010.

The bills have no depth & a mediocre supporting cast offensively. They are on their way to being the Cam Newton panthers tbh.

Last edited:
If Rodgers isn’t himself after the achilles, and Dolphins D continues to suck, Pats COULD have a puncher’s chance at a WC spot IF the offense is even average. But…admittedly a big if considering the roster as currently built
IMO our best hope is if Rodgers stays himself, a 41 year old QB with a deep injury history and a divisive personality.

IMO our best hope is if Rodgers stays himself, a 41 year old QB with a deep injury history and a divisive personality.
The personality thing is overrated IMO…I don’t think his teammates care if he plays well. But yes I agree on his age being an issue. If Tyron Smith goes down, that line is in trouble.

If Rodgers is healthy and mostly himself I think the Jets will be pretty good but not elite. Probably around an 11 win team and it's likely Rodgers' last year. Dolphins have issues - defense has not been all that and Tua is still an injury risk, and Tyreek may get into trouble again. Obviously the Bills now have a big gap on offense, and their defense has a lot of holes too. Plus, Patriots have defended Miami and Buffalo well even when they had all their pieces.

I agree, considering the above and if NE gets a somewhat competent offense together and the defense continues to be as good as it's been, a 9-win wild card berth is not crazy to imagine. If Rodgers is not up to expectations then it becomes even more realistic.

Thinking long-term, the AFC East looks primed for New England to take it in 2025/2026 with smart drafting and a long-term free agent focus.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back