PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Lloyd meeting with 49ers: Patriots are gonna blow it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Production in the passing game is fine now, but its looking less likely Welker will be here long term. Branch doesn't look to have much left and you can't count on Chad for anything. The TE's are great, but we do need guys on the outside as well, and it seems a need that we might be forced to fill via the draft.

What he said....great breath of reality here..well said

The Patriots have a 3-4 year window with Tom Brady and they NEED an otside the numbers WR, they will not get one in the draft that will be a factor in year one or probably even in year two. That means anybody they draft will participate in Tom Brady SB window 3 and 4...

Patriots must get a FA WR and Lloyd is probably the best guy to come in and be a factor from day one. I am really unhappy with the Patriots not addressing a glaring weakness. I suppose I am used to that, but still...I hate to see them come up short yet again because Deon Branch is too old, Wes Welker is limited in what he can do and opposing defenses flood the middle of the field.

Oh and Ocho is unable to read and react properly. If the patriots go into this season with the current group, it is gonna suck, we will watch the team once again bury mid-level teams and struggle mightily against good defenses...and we will all know why, the WR group is pathetic.

Who knows what the Patriots thought process is this FA period....but two things come to mind as we sit here watching teams snatching up WRs out of the gate....
1) BB made Randy Moss rework his contract down before he arrived....essentially requiring an audition year before the real money flowed
2) Pierre Garcon just signed an $8 mill/year deal

Using the 2 bits of info above....we can surmise that BB will NOT go big money/long term on an unknown....and.....If Garcon is getting $8 mill, Lloyd will demand equal if not more......
Not gonna happen at these prices
***With Chicago trading for Marshall.....the Notre Dame WR may slip into our laps

Yeah, that Belichick is really "blowing it" already--what a fool. Might as well start planning for 2013 since it looks like we're not getting any overpriced FA wide receivers this year...:bricks:

Seriously, the arm chair GMs need to take a step back. We're actually set up pretty well at receiver as things stand. Sure I'd like to have a Fitzgerald/VJax type wideout, but so does practically everyone else. This isn't fantasy football and we have plenty of receiving weapons as it stands IMO. As long as Ocho takes a steps up his game this year (seems like BB thinks he will now that he's had a year in the offense), he and Branch are perfectly serviceable as wideouts.

I do expect BB to take a more vertical threat type guy in the draft, in spite of his track record of drafting WRs.

As somebody who has fully supported Chad Johnson all last year, WTF makes you think he will step up this year?

The WR group is probably among the most pathetic in the league.

1. You know what they should do? They should have this thing in like a month and a half where the different teams can pick guys from college and have them be on their teams. Maybe the Pats would prefer to participate in this "college picking players thingie."

2. Have you been following the Meachem story at all tonight?

3. Do we even know that the Pats are interested?

The Pats can't draft WRs at all, just grab Mike Wallace and call it a day.

BTW, of all the 12 playoff teams last year, can anyone name one of those teams that made a free agent signing yesterday that wasn't to re-sign one of their own free agents. I can't think of any. The 49ers signed Moss on Monday, but there wasn't one signing from any of the 12 playoff teams otherwise.

Who made most of the free agent signings and team visits yesterday? Bad teams and the Redskins (who was an average team at best last year).

Lofa Tatupu signed with Atlanta but your point still stands.

Obviously, it all has to shake out, BUT..

Even if the Patriots stay status quo with last years team, there is no way they even sniff the Superbowl this year. Last years schedule and path was a gift from god.

The reason the Patriots lost in 2010, the reason they barely beat Baltimore and lost to NYG..they have ZERO threat outside of the hash marks. Zero. All a good defense has to do is congest the middle of the field and the game is over. how do you people not see that?

The Patriots NEED some sort of reliable option on the outside. Not Jerry Rice, not 07 version of Randy Moss. but soemone who can get open and catch a ball when it matters. If they have this, Welker/Gronk/hernandez automatically have more room.

I'm convinced WR is the biggest need. It would just take so much pressure off of Brady/welker/gronk/hernandez.

Offensive line is next, secondary 3rd, IMHO.

Well said.

Good post

The Patriots have a 3-4 year window with Tom Brady and they NEED an otside the numbers WR, they will not get one in the draft that will be a factor in year one or probably even in year two. That means anybody they draft will participate in Tom Brady SB window 3 and 4...

Patriots must get a FA WR and Lloyd is probably the best guy to come in and be a factor from day one. I am really unhappy with the Patriots not addressing a glaring weakness. I suppose I am used to that, but still...I hate to see them come up short yet again because Deon Branch is too old, Wes Welker is limited in what he can do and opposing defenses flood the middle of the field.

Oh and Ocho is unable to read and react properly. If the patriots go into this season with the current group, it is gonna suck, we will watch the team once again bury mid-level teams and struggle mightily against good defenses...and we will all know why, the WR group is pathetic.

Good to see all this passion from my fellow Patriot fans.

I need a speed reading course to keep up with these threads :).

Lofa Tatupu signed with Atlanta but your point still stands.

Well, Tatupu and Moss both missed the entire 2011 season due to lack of interest in them/they decided not to accept offers. That actually boost my point.

Could be that the Pats told Lloyd to go see what he can get in the market and if the numbers aren't too high, they'll match/come close to it.

Either way, Ocho should have a better year next year. :)

Obviously, it all has to shake out, BUT..

Even if the Patriots stay status quo with last years team, there is no way they even sniff the Superbowl this year. Last years schedule and path was a gift from god.

The reason the Patriots lost in 2010, the reason they barely beat Baltimore and lost to NYG..they have ZERO threat outside of the hash marks. Zero. All a good defense has to do is congest the middle of the field and the game is over. how do you people not see that?

The Patriots NEED some sort of reliable option on the outside. Not Jerry Rice, not 07 version of Randy Moss. but soemone who can get open and catch a ball when it matters. If they have this, Welker/Gronk/hernandez automatically have more room.

I'm convinced WR is the biggest need. It would just take so much pressure off of Brady/welker/gronk/hernandez.

Offensive line is next, secondary 3rd, IMHO.

Pass rush and secondary are bigger needs, if we can stop teams in key moments and give Brady some comfort he won't need to score 30 a game. But our WRs are horrible, Branch is finished and should retire, Ocho is useless and Welker is too small.

Agree with that line of thought, but last time I checked TFB doesnot have many years left and that window is closing down fast. He needs weapons around him and what is wrong in mortgating just 1 or 2 years of the twilight years of brady and see what happens.

Just a thought but we all know BB will never ever do it .

No he will not!

Ladies ladies relax:p All we need is someone who can stretch the field and we can pick that up with the 63rd pick aka Mr Tommy Streeter im hoping we focus on D in FA and resign some of our guys.:rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

In 24 hours of free agency Colston is gone, V-Jax is gone, Garcon is gone, Wayne is gone, Meahem is gone and Josh Morgan is gone. You guys just don't get it do you, if you want a quality free agency then you have to start courting them right from the get go.

Did you really, honestly, think they were going after any of the players you mention here? They will, or should I say have, assign value to the players they target, and won't go beyond that assigned value. Any wishing by the fans that they'll go our and sign some big name WR to a huge deal is really pie in the sky. Not to mention that any big contracts they offer to receivers impact the ability to negotiate with Welker.

Take a breath, relax. It'll be ok. It's not like they have a track record of being a middling 8-8 squad. They system is working.

I know that sounds like IBWT, but you can't knock the results.

Did you really, honestly, think they were going after any of the players you mention here? They will, or should I say have, assign value to the players they target, and won't go beyond that assigned value. Any wishing by the fans that they'll go our and sign some big name WR to a huge deal is really pie in the sky. Not to mention that any big contracts they offer to receivers impact the ability to negotiate with Welker.

Take a breath, relax. It'll be ok. It's not like they have a track record of being a middling 8-8 squad. They system is working.

I know that sounds like IBWT, but you can't knock the results.

Tom Brady is a first ballot HoF QB who is arguably the greatest of all time. He elevates the team to contention each year. He will be gone in 4 years and it would be a real shame if the Patriots are unable to win another SB because they could not put up more than 20 points on a good defense that flooded the middle of the field.

no+jumping.jpg

It'll be pretty shocking if they don't so much as even bring him in for a visit. It would have to mean they have some sort of internal evaluation of him that differs dramatically from what everyone else outside of the org thinks, because he seems to fit on just about every level. And I simply refuse to believe that the FO is content with the WR status quo.

Last edited:
Tom Brady is a first ballot HoF QB who is arguably the greatest of all time. He elevates the team to contention each year. He will be gone in 4 years and it would be a real shame if the Patriots are unable to win another SB because they could not put up more than 20 points on a good defense that flooded the middle of the field.

We lost that game because Gronkowski was hurt and Brady and Welker couldnt connect on a pass, not to mention the dumb safety. none of that has to do with flooding the middle of the field. I do agree that we need to improve the team but we have those in this fan base that act like the world is ending because we're only 3-2 in superbowls the last 11 years. Yeah we lost the last 2, that isn't a measure of failure. I mean look at the teams that have not even been to 2 Superbowls:

Baltimore
New Orleans
Jets
Tampa
Arizona
Atlanta
Carolina
San Diego
Seattle
Tennessee
Houston
Jacksonville
Detroit
Cleveland

literally almost half the league. The Patriots way of doing business has been far more successful than most of the league.

I see your point, but I don't think they will change the system they have in place, which clearly doesn't designate high value to "diva" positions of WR or CB. I am not debating whether they are right or wrong, just saying "this is the system". We can complain all we want, but there's zero pressure from the front office for the personnel people to change when clearly the results show their system works. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday