PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Patriots make a run at Demaryius Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver would be stupid to let him walk and they will have $$ to get him and JT locked up long term.

But in2 years it won't matter since manning will be done by them and then they will be your average team

Nope. Would rather them keep McCourty and Revis.

Yea would rather they prioritize McCourty and Revis (in that order) and then go after Franklin from the Broncos to sure up the D-line

I imagine he has file cabinets full of blueprints.

If you think he wants to go after big name receivers, all things being equal, he has said the opposite. If you think an expensive wide receiver is in our top needs, I disagree.
I didn't say that. In the right situation BB would pony up for an elite wide out. Is this it? Most likely not, I don't think he even hits the market to begin with.

I didn't say that. In the right situation BB would pony up for an elite wide out. Is this it? Most likely not, I don't think he even hits the market to begin with.

I agree. If he had Peyton Manning or equivalent at quarterback and decided to run a high risk offense based on piling up points so you don't play in the trenches most of the game, you need to have top receivers and top pass rushers who rush every play.

I've said this with Bill Pollian's team and they seem to have a similar spending philosophy with the Bronc's. It's no disgrace to "only" have won one SB while being in contention every year. Most teams will never sniff it.

I think our system is better and Brady can win ugly, blowouts, close games and close games we blow out in seconds with multi scores. Grind it out games require versatile defense with talent and functional players somewhere that aren't expensive to keep any game close. Patient Brady will win close games.

Expensive receivers need the ball and take up cap room. generally, more versatile guys plus Gronk seem to work best with Brady who baffles defenses with too many options to cover, rather than one or two great receivers.

Doesn't make Lafell's play chopped liver, either. his versatility might fit better than a guy with great stats elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

2. According to Miguel, after all the incentives are paid and our own FA's are signed, the Pats should have SOME money to play with in FA, but not that much. In all likelihood we will have enough to sign one moderate to high end FA, along with the usual cast of low end guys who may or may not prove useful. Or we may go with this year's strategy which is to sign 2 moderate contracts like LaFell and Browner. (BTW- I don't include the Revis deal since it essentially was a swapping out of what would have to be paid to Talib.)
I think maybe you should take the Revis deal into account one way or another, since at the moment he currently is taking up 25 million of our cap money for 2015.

If he's gone, we free up a ton of money. If he re-signs, we likely free up at least 12+ million, assuming that his year one cap hit is even that high (13 million).

The Revis situation is actually very important to our cap scenarios, one way or another. No matter what happens, it's going to free up some significant cap space.

Last edited:
Denver takes Patriot hand-me-downs.

Not the other way around.

I wouldn't think that anyone in their right mind would have much of a problem with Demarius Thomas coming here to play. I would happily take one of their "hand me downs" if it improved our team.

That said, I highly doubt that Belichick would even consider someone with a potential contract like that at the position of WR. It's just not going to happen in my opinion.

Even Randy Moss had to take a lowball offer of 3/27 coming off of an insane record setting year! Does anyone actually see Demarius Thomas settling for HALF of that? (27 million) I don't.

I don't think that automatically means that we wouldn't be in the market for a guy in the shorter term value kind of deal, on a 2 or 3 year pact. I think a deal that mimics Moss' would be a possibility, depending on the player of course.

Nope!

The New England Patriots already have too many of their own unrestricted free agents to worry about:

Cannon
Connolly
Ridley
Vereen
Bolden (RFA)
Slater
Aiken
Gostkowski
Branch
Ayers
Casillas
White
Chung
McCourty

I think this is a critical distinction. BB's Patriots have been as willing as any team to sign long-term, big-$$ contracts...to retain players who have already proven themselves as Patriots. Gronk, Mayo, Vince, Mankins, etc. all got paid handsomely.

But bring in a FA from another team, and you're adding another risk factor. Double that at WR, where forming a mind meld with Brady >> any physical skills you bring to the table.
We tried the FA long term contract once with Adalius Thomas. That didnt end well. Pats philosophy is close to pittsburgh .Mostly invest inside the team and build depth. Not many high priced FA are going to come here for long term deals.

Resign our guys. They have us atop the AFC despite having key guys out, if an ideal situation pops up at the wideout position in the offseason i'd say the pats jump all over it, meanwhile I'd go with bolstering the offensive line giving Brady's track record with time to throw and get a stud DE to pair with Jones Ninko and the rest of the D and we are in contention thru Brady's retirement.Btw a good running back wouldn't hurt if Ridley is let go or isn't the same.

Resign our guys. They have us atop the AFC despite having key guys out, if an ideal situation pops up at the wideout position in the offseason i'd say the pats jump all over it, meanwhile I'd go with bolstering the offensive line giving Brady's track record with time to throw and get a stud DE to pair with Jones Ninko and the rest of the D and we are in contention thru Brady's retirement.Btw a good running back wouldn't hurt if Ridley is let go or isn't the same.

We will either sign one or both of ridley/vereen at team friendly deals or we will throw draft capital at their replacements. I highly doubt we spend much money on anyone in free agency there.

We will either sign one or both of ridley/vereen at team friendly deals or we will throw draft capital at their replacements. I highly doubt we spend much money on anyone in free agency there.
Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back