Brady Still Trying to Fix Bad Connection With Cooks on 3rd Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Brady Still Trying to Fix Bad Connection With Cooks on 3rd Down

Ian Logue

The Patriots have very few flaws offensively, but looking over the numbers after Sunday's win over Oakland, there's one number that stands out on the stat sheet that is a little surprising.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Not surprising. In addition to the failure of Skippy to create 3rd- & 4th-down plays that would've had an actual chance of working, Cooks' drop on 3rd down near the end of the first half was the difference between winning and losing the KC game.

Not surprising. In addition to the failure of Skippy to create 3rd- & 4th-down plays that would've had an actual chance of working, Cooks' drop on 3rd down near the end of the first half was the difference between winning and losing the KC game.

Say what? You know the Patriots lost that game by more than a touchdown right?

I know. I also know that if Cooks catches that catchable pass, then KC doesn't score a TD at the end of the half. Combine that point swing with all of the points left on the field by those ******ed runs into brick walls on 3rd & 4th down, then its the Pats who win, probably by more than a touchdown.

I'll take a glass half full approach and note that if Cooks doesn't make that TD catch during the last minute of the Texans game they probably don't win that game.

Tough Crowd...Cooks is a stud, on pace for 1250 yards receiving despite drawing double coverage constantly. What more do people want?

Cooks is a deep threat. The best. He's not a chain mover, make a big grab over the middle and get sandwiched type of receiver. That's not his game. Leave that to Amendola Hogan or Mitchell.

Tough Crowd...Cooks is a stud, on pace for 1250 yards receiving despite drawing double coverage constantly. What more do people want?

Cooks is a deep threat. The best. He's not a chain mover, make a big grab over the middle and get sandwiched type of receiver. That's not his game. Leave that to Amendola Hogan or Mitchell.

I agree. I don't see Cooks getting the same quick separation Amendola gets in short yardage separation but that could be because he typically has the #1 CB on him whereas Amendola has the #2 or 3.

If Edelman ......damn damn damn.

That's why I would love Mitchell back. This offense's already unstoppable. Curious how the squealers will defend us. Give brady time and he will find his targets. Hope hogan comes back for that miami game.

I like cooks alot, but he's just not that third down guy. His skill set isn't conducive to being the primary on 3rd down.
Cooks is a boom or bust receiver and that's fine because he does it well and he's very effective. His best asset is his blinding speed and his ability to track the football. I'd rather take a shot to him on a second down play action.

There are other guys in the roster who can run better routes, catch the ball better while taking contact, and be exactly where Brady needs him to be when he needs him there.

Cooks is being used fine right now. The only thing I don't like is the screens they run to him. Seems like a way to keep him stimulated and involved in the game.

Last edited:
Cooks is a player drawing doubles to open up other receivers and typically is working with low percentage passes relative to the Brady Bread and Butter.

And he's still on pace for a pretty ridiculous season with what, a 17.5 avg on 45 catches? He's already on pace to outperform any year he had with Brees (in every single statistical catagory). Dude is really good and I can't imagine how crazy it'd be if we had Edleman. Patriots are using him perfectly.

If anything I wish Brady could hit him in stride just a little better. So many catches seem like they could be TDs if he didn't have to adjust. Then again, that's just in a perfect world, not much to grip about.

Cooks is primarily a deep threat who is able to loosen up the coverage underneath by drawing attention his way. Personally I'd prefer Brady go 'short' on third down and NOT go to Cooks unless Cooks is clearly open. After all, (this is obvious) but going deep has a less likely completion percentage and with that would come more punts (if throwing deep on third down).

I think Cooks is having a very good year. If he's not a key third down receiver I think we can live with that. We have other 'possession' receivers like Gronk, Amendola, and White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe