PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady Last 22 Playoff games 27 INTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, throwing a pass to a WR, who is new to the team,who didn't run his route correctly, and who tipped the ball into the hands of the defense is different than throwing a gift INT to a linebacker the QB never saw.

Yes!

Ints will happen to any QB even the goats. The WR makes a mistake, bad play calling/good scouting by the opposing team, pure excellent play by the defender(see Butler, Malcolm), fighting harsh weather, sometimes just crap bad luck of a tipped ball, a last second hail mary heave/desperate final minutes of a game being lost by more than a score (where the much higher Int possibility is acceptable).

I'm stupefied as to why some fans think a QB who has played 2 full seasons of playoff games is not going to have some mistakes or even an off game. That's 32 games against the very best teams in the league. Perspective! Tyson got hit sometimes, Jordan bricks the short uncontested jump shot, Gretzky whiffed on the open net shot, Serena Williams missed the meatball return serve, Eric Heiden gets a chill that slowed him down, Ayrton Senna didn't notice he was red lining it and blows a gasket, Kevin Martin scrubbed the ice a little too hard, Duke Kahanamoku spied the beach bikinis and missed the break, Emma-Jayne Wilson whipped a bit too hard.
But maybe the best, and serious, example: Usain Bolt trips.....but he gets up and still pulls out the win (that happened). Brady is a rare QB who not only is demonstrated great passer, demonstrated great vision, demonstrated great leader but he has a fire to win that is unreal. When Brady trips we will never have to worry he won't get right up to, if needed, scratch and claw to pull out the win (even if it's not his or his teammates best day) and/or the opposition just has too much horsepower. It's crystal clear goat qualities and performing by any measure.
The Int stat (whether it's stellar or lags a few others) should mean all but nothing to anyone who has been watching Brady/the Patriots for the last 15 years.

Yes!

Ints will happen to any QB even the goats. The WR makes a mistake, bad play calling/good scouting by the opposing team, pure excellent play by the defender(see Butler, Malcolm), fighting harsh weather, sometimes just crap bad luck of a tipped ball, a last second hail mary heave/desperate final minutes of a game being lost by more than a score (where the much higher Int possibility is acceptable).

I'm stupefied as to why some fans think a QB who has played 2 full seasons of playoff games is not going to have some mistakes or even an off game. That's 32 games against the very best teams in the league. Perspective! Tyson got hit sometimes, Jordan bricks the short uncontested jump shot, Gretzky whiffed on the open net shot, Serena Williams missed the meatball return serve, Eric Heiden gets a chill that slowed him down, Ayrton Senna didn't notice he was red lining it and blows a gasket, Kevin Martin scrubbed the ice a little too hard, Duke Kahanamoku spied the beach bikinis and missed the break, Emma-Jayne Wilson whipped a bit too hard.
But maybe the best, and serious, example: Usain Bolt trips.....but he gets up and still pulls out the win (that happened). Brady is a rare QB who not only is demonstrated great passer, demonstrated great vision, demonstrated great leader but he has a fire to win that is unreal. When Brady trips we will never have to worry he won't get right up to, if needed, scratch and claw to pull out the win (even if it's not his or his teammates best day) and/or the opposition just has too much horsepower. It's crystal clear goat qualities and performing by any measure.
The Int stat (whether it's stellar or lags a few others) should mean all but nothing to anyone who has been watching Brady/the Patriots for the last 15 years.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt against Denver, He had no time to throw and still almost won the game. But he made a bad mistake in the game that.. well I don't remember exactly if it costed them but I think it did. The Von Miller interception. I think Denver capitalized off the TO on a short field and got there second TD to Daniels.

I could be wrong but its those kinds of mistakes that can't happen in the playoffs and expect to win.

We can all agree that Brady needs to play much better to give the team a better chance to win. Turnover of any kind holds the team back.

Brady is far from the only one committing turnovers. The Patriots have committed the most number of turnovers on special teams since 2009!

Ball security + winning the turnover margin has to be a priority in all three phases

Does the 2011 Super Bowl and the 2013 AFC Championship qualify as playing great? His passer ratings were 91.1 and 93.9. He lost both those games.
Yes to any rational observer

I predict Brady looks after the ball perfectly against the Steelers and doesn't commit a turnover, add that to Ben throwing 1 or 2 picks then i see a Pats win and another notch on Tom's legacy.

How many teams would give their left nut to actually play in 22 playoff games?

These teams we play in the playoffs are not the jets. They got there by being really good.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt against Denver, He had no time to throw and still almost won the game. But he made a bad mistake in the game that.. well I don't remember exactly if it costed them but I think it did. The Von Miller interception.

I don't know. Maybe Brady was seeing "ghosts" and anticipating pressure that didn't come. Maybe he didn't expect Von Miller to fall back into coverage

What do you guys think?

tom-brady-picked-off-by-von-miller.gif

That was a very costly interception that gave the Broncos a short field to score.

You can't just blame Collins for what happened next.

peyton-manning-to-owen-daniels-against-patriots.gif

Last edited:
I gave him the benefit of the doubt against Denver, He had no time to throw and still almost won the game. But he made a bad mistake in the game that.. well I don't remember exactly if it costed them but I think it did. The Von Miller interception. I think Denver capitalized off the TO on a short field and got there second TD to Daniels.

I could be wrong but its those kinds of mistakes that can't happen in the playoffs and expect to win.

There is no such thing as absolute perfection. If Brady towers against Pitt with a 70% completion rate -- that still means 30% of the passes were bad throws and/or poor route running and/or poor OL and/or bad play calling and/or good defense by the opposition. A few of those 30% fails might be painful ones too (Int or fumble etc).
There is no doubt that we cannot give the other teams too many easy scores but that is true of any team. Ints, fumbles, penalties that cause third down and forever (a quasi TO), giving up big gain plays etc cannot be afforded in tangible numbers at this round of the POs. But a game is 4 quarters of passing and rushing, STs/field position, stopping the run and stopping the pass. Punches will be given and punches will be taken, even major body blows. But it's who is standing at the end that matters and, IMHO, as a team the Patriots have balance and potency that can see them overcome mistakes - even a few big ones. I believe that because in the end Brady's capability and competitive fire as well as the rest of the team's singular focus is more likely than not to find an extra gear when it is absolutely needed -- to dig down and make the one more play that is needed.

I don't go into a game expecting Brady to be colossal (and I'm not saying you do). He might light it up or he may hit a lesser mark. But I do expect, based on history, he will dig deep when it's most needed to find a way to do enough to win (as well as the rest of the team). But we shall see. Using Tomlin's timekeeping calculations I believe the game is at 3pm tomorrow :)

God no. Took a safety on the first play plus a 4th quarter pick, and also overthrew Welker with 4 minutes left. 2013 was a bunch of 4th quarter stat padding with the Broncos playing conservative.
Come on anyone could see Brady sucked in that game with all those weapons on offense. He only hooked up with Austin Coolie for 4 completions. Any decent above average performance from TB12 would have had Coolie at about 150 yards and 2-3 TDs.

Someone clicked "disagree" which is well within his or her rights however come on...
Those tipped ball interceptions. Brady had a half dozen balls tipped by his own receivers during the regular season, but they fell onto the turf and not into a defenders hands. It happens.

With or without context that's still an eye opening amount of interceptions during that span of playoff games.

I still love Touchdown Tommy and have faith that he'll get it done, even if he throws one INT a game.
During that span his interception to pass attempts are about average for TOP QBs. He's had games with no running game and a depleted receiver core.

Remember he has played 4 less games this season so I hope that helps re: Int.

Most non Pats fans where I live say Pittsburgh wins if they rush Brady the entire game. They say history says it all.

I hope not, I can read the records but I want him to do well and win SB 5.
Not true. almost all defenses play a pass rush first and react to the run second against the Pats and it does not help. Most successful defenses can get there rushing only 4 and get consistent quick pressure rushing only 4. Not many can do that including Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
I counted at least 2 bad decisions and I am not even counting the off the hands of Floyd interception. If you count that then 3.

He completed 47% of his passes that is a record low for him.
Yes but he was far more responsible than the running game for putting up 24 offensive points against a very, very good defense that executed a good game plan.

Our running game usually takes a big drop in the playoffs (unless the Colts are involved!). We thus get more one dimensional, face top playoff defenses, in cold weather, and take more chances when not playing with a big lead. Tom does play more like a mortal in such situations. Everyone does. Guys like Marino became sub-0.500 QBs in the playoffs.

I don't know. Maybe Brady was seeing "ghosts" and anticipating pressure that didn't come. Maybe he didn't expect Von Miller to fall back into coverage

What do you guys think?

tom-brady-picked-off-by-von-miller.gif

That was a very costly interception that gave the Broncos a short field to score.

You can't just blame Collins for what happened next.

peyton-manning-to-owen-daniels-against-patriots.gif
Yes, it's a mistake, a mistake against Vonn Miller the best defensive player in the AFC last year.

lol @ this thread and the people who are taking it seriously.

Wasn't serious with the Manning comment folks.

The case is simply, he's got games against defenses that in a specific playoff game play well and can get pressure with the front-four only with multiple interceptions.

2016: 2 against the Texans
2015: 2 against the Broncos
2014: 2 against the Seahawks
2012: 2 against the Ravens
2011: 2 against the Ravens
2009: 3 against the Ravens
2007: 3 against the Chargers
2006: 3 against the Chargers
2005: 2 against the Broncos

In those nine games he threw 21 interceptions. In his other 23 playoff games nine in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST