SOURCE:USA TODAY

SOURCE:Patriots.com

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Frustrating Finish
Saturday night marked a frustrating end to New England's season, which now sets up some big questions heading into the offseason.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Brady is having a great season

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Biffins, Nov 9, 2019.

1. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,947
    Facts = trolling ?
    Brady=====> Middle of the pack QB according to most metrics
    Sorry you can't handle that

More facts

NE has had the most offensive drives in NFL this year....107 (median 91)
    Great defense vs awful teams = more offensive drives

NE's average starting field position is #2 in the NFL....34.4 yd line (median 28)
    Great defense vs awful teams = handing NE offense amazing field position
    -----------------
    With the highest number of drives and 2nd best field position in NFL...

NE's offense is 17th in points/drive....2.11 (#1 Balt= 2.95)
    NE's offense is 19th in yds/drive....30.37 (#1 Balt=43.1)
    NE has punted 3rd most in NFL..
    etc
    --------
    So.... middling QB stats, squandered opportunities, and anemic drives...
    45.9 rating vs Buffalo
    80, 80, and 89 ratings in 3 of last 4 games

Therefore

Less is more & "Brady has been playing great"

What happened Deus....you used to be the objective one on this board.
    Now your giving Benefit of the Doubt points for feats not performed.
    ---------
    PS....his picks have been mind benders, right on the numbers to the bad guys...not tipped/what are you gonna do INTs.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54,712
    Sure, sometimes. Especially, when in a case like this, you're bringing up intentional grounding penalties. As I said, that should have clued you in to just how much of a garbage post you were making. Now, run along. Take some aspirin and water for that hangover, before you embarrass yourself further.

3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,939
    I agree that we shouldn't "worry" about Brady's play. However, this thread was about Brady having a "great season". Do you think that Brady is having a great season? Surely, a quarterback having a great season (with his team at 8-1) should be considered for the MVP. Again, do you think that Brady his having a "great" season?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +54,712
    I am about as objective as it gets on this site. And your comments about picks show that you're not. He's got 2 picks that were the result of new guys screwing up (Meyers along the goal line and Sanu stopping on a route). He's got a 3rd that was obviously the result of a misread of a coverage, by either he or Edelman, and most likely by Edelman. So 3 of his 5 picks are likely brain farts by the receivers. That doesn't mean that Brady's been great, but it's part of why the word "context" is so important. And your choosing to ignore context, and to look for things like intentional grounding penalties, is your problem, not anyone else's, and particularly not mine.

As I said, go get some water and aspirin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +54,712
    How are we defining "great"? Statistically? Effectiveness? Ability to overcome all the **** swirling around?

If people want to critique based upon the word "great", they should have an explanation that goes beyond "But QB rating! TDs! INTs!, Intentional groundings!".

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jangles

Jangles PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,277
    To my eye, Brady has been above average to pretty good with occasional bits of brilliance sprinkled in.

He’s made some amazing throws, but overall I think his accuracy hasn’t been up to his usual standard. His arm strength looks great though. I constantly find myself marveling at how he can still sling it downfield at 42 while Peyton Manning couldn’t throw it much past the line of scrimmage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +34,413

I do. I think he's doing a great job with the circumstances given.

In separate threads we've discussed the Oline, Sony's lack of run production, the WR turnstile and now Brady's " average" production.

As we all know none those issues or subjects are independent from the other but some seem to like analyzing them as though they were which at times is comical.

Brady's stats, outside of " athletic processing" and " " fluttering passes", is a reflection of the combined performancs of all of the above so to say that Brady's performance has declined independently from losing Andrews, Devlin etc...etc... is being disingenuous imo.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +54,712
    This is an excellent example of why I talk about context so much. You're seeing what you think you're seeing (I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but am just pointing out why context is so important), yet:

• This year, Brady's completion percentage is 64.8%
    • Brady's career average completion rate is 64.1%
    • Brady's completion percentage in 2013 (a similar, relatively recent, year with major WR and TE issues) was 60.5%
    • Brady's completion percentage from 2010-2013 was 63.6%, and that includes his unanimous 2010 MVP Season.
    • Brady's completion percentage from 2014-2018 was 65.5%, including two years where the percentage was below this year's percentage.

So, looking at just the data, the argument can easily be made that he's actually being more accurate than usual.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Hyped

Hyped PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,954
    The bar is set so high for Brady and the Patriots.

Short of a season with a 70% comp rate, 5k+ passing yarfs, 50+ passing TDs, and under 8 interceptions thrown = Brady being a bum.

The end will come when it comes. It isn't the end yet.

Appreciate every remaining game of this brilliant career/run while you still can.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Tony2046

Ratings:
    +34,413

" His picks have been mind benders"

Tells me you're not seeing what's happening with the Oline.

Maybe if I get some time tonight I'll put something together but the Oline missing their assignments has a been a problem and has led to Brady interceptions. If Brady's arm gets hit as he's throwing the ball within a reasonable amount of time that int is on the Oline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Biffins

Biffins In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,389
    I gave a quantitative, not a qualitative assessment. I am pointing out why the passing offense has not been very efficient but in total volume it's doing the job. We're moving the ball and scoring points. That's what matters. Not QB ratings.

12. Biffins

Biffins In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,389
    Did you note we're leading or 2nd place in yards and points. Why do you think this offense is a liability?

13. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27,342
    You’re watching a great player dealing with all the issues that about 29 other fan bases whine about and say “no one could succeed with this running game and protection!” We’ve hear this pop all all the time from fanboys of Wilson, Eli, Stafford, Stafford...I could name so many. This is how an elite QB handles crappy circumstances. He doesn’t get all-pro honors yet still puts up 30 ppg. Brady is a marvel.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +54,712
    And here is a good place to point to the other side of the coin. The offense has been a major beneficiary of the defense. Short fields and a lot of turnovers help with points and yards, and make the offense look better than it really is. The Patriots are #3 in the NFL in most punts made. Only Tennessee and the NYJ have punted more often.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Tony2046

Ratings:
    +34,413
    Because they haven't been consistent enough imo but are definitely starting to get things rolling. This bye week came at just the right time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Doctor DDS

Doctor DDS Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,452
    This offense is rated so highly in points scored mainly due to the exceptional defense. Similar to how many of the Pats defenses over the years were more highly rated than they played due to the dominance of the offense and rarely being put into unfavorable situations.

So far, this offense has probably been somewhere between 10-15 in the league. Due to so many blowouts its harder to quantify what they've done as they have not needed to play with urgency in several seconds halves. I think they can become substantially better if everything clicks and they should be good enough to do their part to win the big games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,947
    Let’s compromise....

Thanks to the “great” defense (a legitimate use of great 8/9’s of the games), Brady has been a “great” game manager**

** Except in games when the defense carried the team, games when offense disappeared in 2nd half, and vs Baltimore when the team actually needed a great Brady performance

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34,100
    to sum up...we should have kept Dreamy JimmyG

now..back to the season and what we already have. Those of you in so much pain you cannot stomach anymore, feel free to change hats and find a suitable QB that fulfills your precious needs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ivanvamp

ivanvamp In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,804
    Yep, I'm not worrying about it either. He's been fine. Not *great*, but fine.

20. p8ryts

p8ryts 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +806
    That's correct and even as bad as that game was Brady almost brought them back. Just like Thomas last week, Talib knew the ball was going to Edelman and it got knocked away. That offensive line was even more injured than this one I think.