PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady in the 2015 MVP Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, it's tough for us to take the human 'homer' element away from it, but if we were looking objectively there is just now way that Brady wins over CAM at this point. Let's face it, Cam has his team undefeated and is playing great. With the loss of Kelvin Benjamin at the beginning of the season, you could even say that Cam's weapons are far inferior to the Patriots. Olsen is good, but he's no GRONK.

If the Panthers stay undefeated then the voting won't even be close.

If you look at it objectively Carolina has a much better O-line, TFB has had to deal with a merry-go-round using plenty of rookies and held together by duct-tape.

Carolina has a true running threat. Carolina has a very good defense. Carolina is in a weak division.

And with all that TFB STILL has better numbers.

Also, the undefeated argument is a non-starter, the rest of the team plays a bit of a factor in that.

Why do some of us feel the need to detract from Newton's success? I think Brady really is having the superior statistical year, and both have dealt with plenty of offensive injuries/lack of depth, but Newton truly does appear to be carrying that offense.
The only argument one could make is that Newton has real run support with Stewart in the backfield, so one could say that Brady is more important to the success of the Patriots than Newton of the Panthers.
However, if they don't lose a contested game, there would be no denying him the MVP. Plus, he's rushed for nearly 500 yards in addition to his passing stats. Pretty darn good season. :)

Carolina has a true running threat. Carolina has a very good defense. Carolina is in a weak division.

And with all that TFB STILL has better numbers.

Also, the undefeated argument is a non-starter, the rest of the team plays a bit of a factor in that.

Being undefeated is a non starter?!?!?!?!? That is crazy. Yes, the MVP is an individual award, but to even be in consideration you must win, and all Cam has done this year is win. I don't know who you could discount that.

The homer in me wants Brady to win it, but we shouldn't discount what Cam has done. I wouldn't discount Cam because of his division either. I don't think they are much better or worse than the AFC East.

One of the biggest factors for MVP is being on a winning team.

You know the last time an MVP was on a non-playoff team?

Never. 57 years of giving the award and it's never happened.

Winning matters, period.

Plus, he's rushed for nearly 500 yards in addition to his passing stats. Pretty darn good season. :)

And 7 more touchdowns on the ground through 13 games.

He's actually averaging 8 TDs on the ground per year, so he may even hit double digits this year with three games remaining.

Cam Newton pulled ahead a couple/few weeks ago and it isn't really that close in my opinion. Who cares? Let him be yet another MVP who goes on to lose in the postseason.

The mvp lost all meaning to me when I found out what kicker once won it

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

One of the biggest factors for MVP is being on a winning team.

You know the last time an MVP was on a non-playoff team?

Never. 57 years of giving the award and it's never happened.

Winning matters, period.

...and it's stupid. The entire point of the MVP is to recognize an individual, not teams, that's kinda what the playoffs/superbowl are for. **** Butkus was a freakin animal on the field but his teams were very weak, why overlook Butkus over something he has 0 control of, like the other players his team hired?

Yeah, barring a complete collapse, Newton has it pretty well wrapped up, rightly or wrongly.

It's pretty clear to me that Brady has had a FAR more superior season, statistically AND aesthetically than Cameron. It's just that Cameron has had a good last few games, and Brady threw a poor pick 6 a couple of games ago. So in recency bias that humans always exhibit, Brady loses. Cameron was piss poor at the start of the season, but it's so long ago, who cares right?

Brady should be the NFL MVP hands down no contest.

If Carolina goes undefeated Cam wins the MVP, period.

If they drop a game or two it becomes a race. But going undefeated would be a major accomplishment and there's no way he wouldn't get it in that scenario.

Luckily the Panthers play the Giants on the road and I'm convinced the Giants get that upset.

It's getting harder and harder to defend Brady as a leading candidate for MVP :oops:

I understand that Cam and the Panthers are having an unbelievable season. I honestly dont care about the award and I think Cam is a better MVP than some others in the past. At the same time, I would argue this is Brady's best season ever.

He will set the record with most players over 250+yrds from scrimmage (11)
He will tie or set the record with most players over 500+yrds from scrimmage (7-8)
The Patriots offense has lost as many games to injury as 26 other full teams.
leading the league in TDs
Leading the league in passing yards
leading the league in yards per game
leading the league in completions

2nd fewest Int's
4th in the league in passer rating
3rd in league in pts scored
3rd best in the league in giveaways

To give you a clearer picture, here is the ranking of players on offense from most to least important at the beginning of the season, and the number of games missed to injury in ( ).

gronk (1)
Solder (12IR)
Edelman (6-7)
Lewis (9)
Vollmer (2)
Amendola (1+)
Wendell (14IR)
Lafell (6+)
Stork (10)
Blount (4IR)
Shaq Mason (2)
Dobson (8IR)
Chandler (2+)
Cannon (7)
Tre Jackson (2)
James White (1)
Brandon Bolden (2)
Josh Kline (1)
James Develin (16IR)
David Andrews (2)
Brandon Gibson (16IR)
Brian Tyms (16IR)

Brady has been the only player who hasnt missed games. It is truly remarkable that we are sitting here talking about him in the conversation from MVP. Its also truly remarkable that it isnt clearer to others that this shouldnt be much of a conversation at all.

It's getting harder and harder to defend Brady as a leading candidate for MVP :oops:

I don't understand why people care this much. Brady has only won 2 MVP's in 15 seasons and he is the greatest QB of all time.

Cam deserves it but it will mean very little if he can't make it all the way. And the NFC will be a tough road to the big game.

brady never had a chance. the two losses is what the writers needed to not give tom the mvp.
ok, tb12 will just win another SB mvp!:)

Really, who cares? It's the MVP award. It's like winning a beauty contest. The standards are highly subjective and it's just the opinion of a panel of idiots.

Peyton Manning has almost twice as many playoff "one and dones" (9) as he has MVP awards (5). Of course, his MVP awards are all well-deserved and those playoff loses were clearly not his fault at all.:rolleyes:

The ring is the goal. Guessing Tom got the MVP in 2007? I don't remember. I do remember he didn't get a ring in 2008.

Put me down for one more SB please.

Nothing wrong with winning an MVP. You can win the MVP and the Super Bowl, you know?

It's so ridiculous how half the people around here immediately denigrate the value of anything the Patriots don't achieve.

I think Brady's won the MVP before JJD. Never denigrated it.

It's just irrelevant by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference