PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady in the 2015 MVP Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that Cam and the Panthers are having an unbelievable season. I honestly dont care about the award and I think Cam is a better MVP than some others in the past. At the same time, I would argue this is Brady's best season ever.

He will set the record with most players over 250+yrds from scrimmage (11)
He will tie or set the record with most players over 500+yrds from scrimmage (7-8)
The Patriots offense has lost as many games to injury as 26 other full teams.
leading the league in TDs
Leading the league in passing yards
leading the league in yards per game
leading the league in completions

2nd fewest Int's
4th in the league in passer rating
3rd in league in pts scored
3rd best in the league in giveaways

To give you a clearer picture, here is the ranking of players on offense from most to least important at the beginning of the season, and the number of games missed to injury in ( ).

gronk (1)
Solder (12IR)
Edelman (6-7)
Lewis (9)
Vollmer (2)
Amendola (1+)
Wendell (14IR)
Lafell (6+)
Stork (10)
Blount (4IR)
Shaq Mason (2)
Dobson (8IR)
Chandler (2+)
Cannon (7)
Tre Jackson (2)
James White (1)
Brandon Bolden (2)
Josh Kline (1)
James Develin (16IR)
David Andrews (2)
Brandon Gibson (16IR)
Brian Tyms (16IR)

Brady has been the only player who hasnt missed games. It is truly remarkable that we are sitting here talking about him in the conversation from MVP. Its also truly remarkable that it isnt clearer to others that this shouldnt be much of a conversation at all.

This is an AMAZING post! Really glad you shared this information :)

I truly believe that Brady could care less about NFL MVP. It is a paper award that means little with regard to team success. I still find it a little too subjective, and Academy-award-esque to care about the outcome.

With that said, Brady, Newton and Wilson are all enjoying great seasons.

I think Brady's won the MVP before JJD. Never denigrated it.

It's just irrelevant by comparison.

It's all irrelevant. It's just football. It's all a diversion from real life.

in terms of football, the MVP is an important individual award. Why crap on it because your guy didn't win it? I'm not saying you are, it's just a common theme around here. Lots of insecurity in this forum.

Brady will have made a mockery of this award when his career is over and the national media starts breaking down his accomplishments.

Newton: 57% completion percentage (don't want to hear about drops because the Pats lead the league in them yet Brady is at 64%. )

Sorry but that's just bad.

And oh, he can run the ball too? So can Russell Wilson, who actually had more rushing yards last year than Newton will get this year. Also had a better QB rating, better completion %, less INTs, all with a tougher schedule and equally as worse group of pass catchers (arguably worse).

Olsen/Ginn/Funchess/Brown vs Baldwin/Kearse/Richardson/L Willson

But Wilson was viewed just a "game manager" who benefited from a strong defence (according to most, including the media) - yet Wilson wasn't REMOTELY close to being mentioned as an MVP. (again, I'm referring to his year in 2014 and comparing it to Newton's 2015 "MVP" year)

I get that they're 14-0, but even if Carolina lost today (or loses 1-2 of the remaining ones) I still feel like they'd hand it to Newton.

Last edited:
I live in NC, so have to see every Panthers game. While I'm not a fan of his, I have to admit Newton is amazing. His pocket presence has improved dramatically since his first year, but he still is a potent running threat, pulling 10-30 yard run plays on a regular basis: he has over 500 yards rushing this season.

His receiving corp is not great: the Panthers' only true #1 WR (Benjamin) tore his ACL during training camp, so Cam was left with a ragtag group of receivers, a couple of which have emerged as talented this season. While the Panthers defense has been very stout this season, Newton has really carried the team to the next level. Their record speaks for itself.

So while I do think Brady is great, if it went to Newton it wouldn't be an injustice.They are both playing great this season. Plus, as we all know, that award doesn't mean ****. Brady would trade every MVP he has for another chance at a SB.

The fact that Brady isn't an arrogant primadonna douchebag, like Newton, doesn't hurt. The game I went to in Charlotte Newton made it all about him on every offensive play, dancing for the crowd and stuff to an extent they don't show on TV. People say people get annoyed at him b/c of race, but they are ignorant: we get annoyed because he is a primadonna attention whore who thinks it is ok to tear down the signs of fans from opposing teams because it is his "due diligence" (his words).

The mvp lost all meaning to me when I found out what kicker once won it

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Yeah that was during the Strike season and he had broken a bunch of records while kicking some clutch game winning or game tying field goals. So not a regular thing.

Newton: 57% completion percentage (don't want to hear about drops because the Pats lead the league in them yet Brady is at 64%. )

Sorry but that's just bad.

And oh, he can run the ball too? So can Russell Wilson, who actually had more rushing yards last year than Newton will get this year. Also had a better QB rating, better completion %, less INTs, all with a tougher schedule and equally as worse group of pass catchers (arguably worse).

Olsen/Ginn/Funchess/Brown vs Baldwin/Kearse/Richardson/L Willson

But Wilson was viewed just a "game manager" who benefited from a strong defence (according to most, including the media) - yet Wilson wasn't REMOTELY close to being mentioned as an MVP. (again, I'm referring to his year in 2014 and comparing it to Newton's 2015 "MVP" year)

I get that they're 14-0, but even if Carolina lost today (or loses 1-2 of the remaining ones) I still feel like they'd hand it to Newton.

Wilson had 20 pass TDs and 6 rush TDs in 16 games, 26 total TDs. Newton has 33 passing TDs and 7 rush TDs in 14 games. It's not even a comparison.

Wilson had 20 pass TDs and 6 rush TDs in 16 games, 26 total TDs. Newton has 33 passing TDs and 7 rush TDs in 14 games. It's not even a comparison.

Playing the Giants (x1) and Saints (x2) - historically bad defenses, each ranked 31st and 32nd, certainly helps

I honestly thought the panthers were destined for a 6-10 season after kelvin Benjamin tore his ACL in training camp.

No one does more with less when it comes to Brady but Cam's receivers are sh!t too.

Tedd ginn? 4 teams in 8 years never was more then a deep threat.

Olsen is legit but that's about it.

Cam's ability to run has helped him a lot, with his beastly defence.

Brady only cares about the Lombardi, and believe me if Cam's gunna win MVP it will give Brady more motivation in the playoffs and hopefully beat Carolina in the Super Bowl.

Playing the Giants (x1) and Saints (x2) - historically bad defenses, each ranked 31st and 32nd, certainly helps

Take away those three games and Newton still has 27 TDs in 11 games. Still more than Wilson had in the entire 2014 season.

Yup, even if you cherry pick your stats, your argument is still terrible. Just drop it.

Cam deserves MVP. Brady has his share already... let's be honest, he probably doesn't care. It's all about #5

Nothing wrong with winning an MVP. You can win the MVP and the Super Bowl, you know?

It's so ridiculous how half the people around here immediately denigrate the value of anything the Patriots don't achieve.

Sorry, I have no respect for any award or any competition that is won by vote instead of by some objective score. Be it MVP, American Idol, Ms. Universe, the Nobel Peace Prize, the Academy Awards, or most Olympic Sports. They're all bullsh*t!

Take away those three games and Newton still has 27 TDs in 11 games. Still more than Wilson had in the entire 2014 season.

Yup, even if you cherry pick your stats, your argument is still terrible. Just drop it.

Take away those three games and he has 21 (not 27) TDs in 11 games. Unless you're you counting rushing TDs in his total? Why? Nobody has ever counted Brady's TD sneaks in any of his totals. Especially since 5 of 7 Newton's rushing TDs this year came from the 2 yard line or closer. With another from the 4. (Cam Newton Career Touchdown Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com - scroll all the way down, look at 'Dist' column)

Anyway, sure the TD total is more than Wilson (2014), but I'm just trying to say that context kinda matters (see: horrific schedule & defenses). I'm basically questioning the huge difference in media/fan reaction to the "MVP's" 2015 stats and a supposed "Game Manager's"' stats of 2014 by adding some context.

Last edited:
Take away those three games and he has 21 (not 27) TDs in 11 games. Unless you're you counting rushing TDs in his total? Why? Nobody has ever counted Brady's TD sneaks in any of his totals. Especially since 5 of 7 Newton's rushing TDs this year came from the 2 yard line or closer. With another from the 4. (Cam Newton Career Touchdown Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com - scroll all the way down, look at 'Dist' column)

Anyway, sure the TD total is more than Wilson (2014), but I'm just trying to say that context kinda matters (see: horrific schedule & defenses). I'm basically questioning the huge difference in media/fan reaction to the "MVP's" 2015 stats and a supposed "Game Manager's"' stats of 2014 by adding some context.

I told you to drop your ridiculous argument. When your cherrypicked stats don't even support your assertion, it's time to move on.

You're arguing that a guy who has scored 40 TOTAL TDs (yes, I'm using TOTAL, because Cam actually scored all of those TDs) in 14 games is a game manager. You're arguing that the player who is leading the #1 scoring offense and an undefeated team, is a game manager.

And FTR, no one was still calling Wilson a game manager last year, either. They dropped that in his rookie year. That whole comparison is bizarre. Why didn't you find someone who actually had a comparable season to what Newton is doing?

Try Steve Young, 1994. Much better comparison:
16 games (13-3), 3,969 Pyds, 35TDs-10INT, 293 Ryds (5.1 ypc), 7 TDs, #1 scoring offense: 31.6 ppg

Newton:
14 games (14-0), 3,402 Pyds, 33TD-10INT, 580 Ryds (4.9 ypc) 7 TDs, #1 scoring offense: 32.1 ppg

Young won the MVP.

(EDIT: Also, this should be obvious, but Young had the best WR of all-time, in his prime, and Ricky Watters, one of the best all-around backs of the 90s. Newton has Ted Ginn, Jr. and Jonathan Stewart. Gotta give Newton some bonus points for that.)

Last edited:
Cam deserves MVP. Brady has his share already... let's be honest, he probably doesn't care. It's all about #5

The MVP should go to the Most Valuable Player, not the kinda most valuable because the other guy has his share. What's next, participation trophies?

Sorry, I have no respect for any award or any competition that is won by vote instead of by some objective score. Be it MVP, American Idol, Ms. Universe, the Nobel Peace Prize, the Academy Awards, or most Olympic Sports. They're all bullsh*t!

Just don't let Steve Harvey read the MVP selection...unless he picks Cam Newton first.:p

Total Yards and Points Accounted For (counting sacks):

- Brady: 638 touches, 4,259 yards, 6.68 yds per touch, 38 touchdowns, 8 turnovers
- Newton: 586 touches, 3,765 yards, 6.42 yds per touch, 40 touchdowns, 13 turnovers

Pretty even production. Brady has been better overall, and the turnovers really are a major difference. The average turnover impacts field position about 50 yards, so that's another 250 yards difference between the two, in Brady's favor.

But the numbers are close enough such that the Panthers' 16-0 record will give the MVP to Newton. And frankly, he'd deserve it, even though Brady has been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST