PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady has to win 7...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Bart Starr was 5-0 in SBs and championships finals? If so, I think that 7-3 would clearly surpass that figure. This is esp true since Brady has had to win far far more playoff games to achieve his Finals wins. Starr is 9-1 in playoff games and Brady is 27-9.

Starr was 5-1 in championships. His first three playoffs were one game winner take all games and he went 0-1, 1-0 and 1-0. His next two playoffs were 2-0, 2-0 and his last was 3-0.

Brady took the opposite route, going 3-0, 3-0, 3-0 and got to 10-0 before he lost his first playoff game.

Actually the W/L record is a QB stat, just like it is for starters in BB or goalies in hockey.

W/L is not a stat for forum members, lucky for Coolade2.

7 is my magic number.

Having a full dynasty worth of additional rings over Montana/Bradshaw + one more championship than Jordan. Brady having 3 more rings than the second closer guy is what feels like an accurate reflection of the run.

And as everyone else has said, I realize how absurd/greedy this all is and I'm just focused on Sunday. :D

This Michael Jordan stuff drives me nuts.

There are 3 NBA players with as many titles as Jordan and 9, that's right 9, NBA players with more. There are 3 players with 7 titles, 4 with 8, 1 with 10 and 1 with 11 (with 8 in a row). Of those 12 players all but 3 played for the Celtics and never won a title without Bill Russell. If not for an injury to Russell most of them would have won another.

This Michael Jordan stuff drives me nuts.

There are 3 NBA players with as many titles as Jordan and 9, that's right 9, NBA players with more. There are 3 players with 7 titles, 4 with 8, 1 with 10 and 1 with 11 (with 8 in a row). Of those 12 players all but 3 played for the Celtics and never won a title without Bill Russell. If not for an injury to Russell most of them would have won another.

i'd never thought about it that way

Brady going to 9 Superbowls is amazing. In a way it makes me appreciate Bill Russell winning 11 rings even more. Think of how long that dominance was. LA must have lost their minds when Russell was playing.

I was blessed with the ability to see Russell play. He could have scored more if he needed to but he was a defensive nightmare. For a 6'9" player he was as quick as a cat, maybe even quicker than our @SammyBlueCat. I know, hard to believe. He was so quick and could block shots so easily that he would redirect the ball to a teammate.

He was also the player-coach for the last two titles.

One of the major differences from today was the way that Red rubbed it in. He would light up a cigar when the game got to the point where he thought it was over. I can't imagine what it would be like if that kind of thing was done today.

i'd never thought about it that way

I didn't either until I looked it up. Of the 3 other players with 6, Cousy, Jabbar and Pippen, it's possible that you might want Jabbar over Jordan.

And what about Robert Horry? He has 7 titles with 3 different teams. Where's the love for that guy?

I was blessed with the ability to see Russell play. He could have scored more if he needed to but he was a defensive nightmare. For a 6'9" player he was as quick as a cat, maybe even quicker than our @SammyBlueCat. I know, hard to believe. He was so quick and could block shots so easily that he would redirect the ball to a teammate.

I too had the great good fortune to witness the excellence that was Bill Russell. No HD back then, his game had to be seen live to be appreciated. Anyone just looking at the numbers might be impressed but they don't tell a quarter of the story. In a basketball era when D wasn't just seriously played and expected but celebrated it would be easy for someone who didn't see him to read the stats and picturing the era, imagine a beast of a guy sending the bodies flying. They would be wrong, not that Russell couldn't hold his own when it got rugged (and in the '60's NBA it got that way more than a bit) but that was not his game. Russell was 6'9''-6'10" and couldn't have been more that 210-220 soaking wet so hardly a wide body unlike Wilt who had a few inches and at least 50-60 pounds on him. His game was a combination of prescience and a type of fluid grace you wouldn't associate with the era. He was just so damn quick with never a wasted motion. Watching him rebound was amazing. I swear it looked like he could anticipate where to be for it before the ball ever left the shooter's hands. Blocked shots were turned into outlet passes in one motion, his team mates always needed to be ready to get the ball even while they were on D. It's impossible to do Russell's game justice, no one who didn't see it would believe you and the film from that era is so bad you can't get a sense of the game from it.

I have been very fortunate as a Boston sports fan even if it sure as hell didn't feel that way for some damn long stretches of it. I've had the good fortune to see Teddy Ballgame hit, Pedro pitch and Mookie blossom. Red...Cousy...Bill Russell... Hondo...Larry Legend.... I witnessed the incomparable Bobby Orr reinvent the game of hockey and Bergie play it both ways (something that few players truly do with equal commitment) as well as any forward ever has. And of course saving the most amazing for last I've seen our 'little team that couldn't' hire a taciturn tactician who used the 199th pick in the draft to select a poorly built part time Michigan starter then watch as together they did nothing less than elevate our lovable loser Patsies into The New England Patriots, the football dynasty that has become the measuring stick for all other past and future dynasties. Damn, it was so good just thinking of all of it that, it might be time for an Ashton Crystal and a few fingers of chilled Crown Royal.

Actually the W/L record is a QB stat, just like it is for starters in BB or goalies in hockey.

It's a fan geek stat. In team sport with 11 guys. Obviously not official stat.

It's Not pitching or tending goal.

W/L is not a stat for forum members, lucky for Coolade2.
Trolls and internet geeks always win right..?

InfatuatedDecimalHapuka-size_restricted.gif

It's Not pitching or tending goal.

Trolls and internet geeks always win right..?

Oh really...how many times did you cite Lamar Jackson's W/L record in your infamous train wreck thread?

I hate these count chickens before eggs hatch threads. Can we get through Sunday first guys, some of us are superstitious. ;)

It's Not pitching or tending goal

Yeah it sorta is. The guy has the ball in his hand every offensive snap. Ever seen a Pitcher account for all 27 outs while simultaneously accounting for the only run scored to win the game? A goalie make every save of the game with no defenders in his zone helping, again while scoring an unassisted game winner?

For a guy who says some really dumbshit you really just made the worst analogy you probably could. Congrats you really out did yourself.

And the thread was tongue and cheek hence the smiley face.

Yeah it sorta is. The guy has the ball in his hand every offensive snap. Ever seen a Pitcher account for all 27 outs while simultaneously accounting for the only run scored to win the game? A goalie make every save of the game with no defenders in his zone helping, again while scoring an unassisted game winner?

For a guy who says some really dumbshit you really just made the worst analogy you probably could. Congrats you really out did yourself.

And the thread was tongue and cheek hence the smiley face.

I didn't say the QB is not important position. W-L Its just not a QB stat like pitching. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes