PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supe Just for a discussion hypothetically. Tom Brady becomes a FA next season and wants to test the market.

Who is going to pay him $25-35MM/yr. I opine most teams have their franchise QB that they are paying big money to, OR have a young guy they are building around. Brady wouldn't go to a team what doesn't look like strong contender for a Superbowl. Also next year there will be ANOTHER 3-5 QB's coming out with "can't miss" grades which limits the market.

Off the top of my head the only 2 teams I could see wanting to sign Brady and having a good enough team for him to even consider going to are the Titans and Lions, IF those teams give up on Stafford and Mariotta

I think that most fans think that there would be a LOT of teams willing to line up to pay a 43 year old QB. I don't see it, even if he wanted to go, WHICH I doubt very much.

Can you think of any others?

So what do think is Brady’s market value for a 2 year contract? You think it’s not even $25m per year? Do you think it’s not even $20m?

Clearly this is the math BB is doing as well.

What part of "getting money up front" DON'T you understand. Yes he's only getting around $15MM this year in cash, but the ADDITIONAL $12MM that makes up his $27MM cap hit is money he got when he signed his last extension. It's money he has already banked.

God are you OBTUSE to use a Shawshank reference. ;) I don't give a F*ck about what Curran thinks. Its his JOB to create drama....even when there is none. You have to take what they write with a HUGE grain of salt.

Brady has more money than his great grand kids could ever spend. Brady has more acclaim than any other QB in the history of the game (well deserved btw) . For 2o years he has NEVER seen his value measured by the contracts he's gotten. WHY has it suddenly changed now???????????????? Do you really think that at 42 he's suddenly worried about his freakin' job security and needs an extension? :rolleyes:

They will do an extension because they need the cap space to be able to maneuver comfortably over the course of the regular season. They will do an extension because it will end the questions about Brady's future for the next 2 seasons. OR they may not do one and just go year to year. BTW- When you have a 42 year old QB, going year to year WOULD be the smart way to go.....even if its Tom Brady

BTW- I'm betting any extension Brady gets will be filled with incentives just like the last one.

Personally I bet Brady got a big kick pushing the media's buttons over a topic that is likely very low on his priority list.

Not sure what your point is by yapping about his cash payout or cap hit for this year over and over. Those are historical numbers and we are debating future extension. BTW Brady’s last contract was a 2 year extension at $41m so $20.5m per year. That was the reference. The rest is just proration of upfront money etc.

Question is, will BB and Kraft be ready to sign a 43 year old for a 2 tear extension at $25m per year. Evidently not. Then the question is, will Brady work for $15-20m? Maybe. But it will place him in bottom quartile of QB pay in a few years.

Everyone on this forum thinks Brady will play for $5 and a handshake. I don’t think so.

Supe Just for a discussion hypothetically. Tom Brady becomes a FA next season and wants to test the market.

Who is going to pay him $25-35MM/yr. I opine most teams have their franchise QB that they are paying big money to, OR have a young guy they are building around. Brady wouldn't go to a team what doesn't look like strong contender for a Superbowl. Also next year there will be ANOTHER 3-5 QB's coming out with "can't miss" grades which limits the market.

Off the top of my head the only 2 teams I could see wanting to sign Brady and having a good enough team for him to even consider going to are the Titans and Lions, IF those teams give up on Stafford and Mariotta

I think that most fans think that there would be a LOT of teams willing to line up to pay a 43 year old QB. I don't see it, even if he wanted to go, WHICH I doubt very much.

Can you think of any others?
I’m not picking a side in any debate, but rather pointing out how impractical it would be to pay Brady 34m on the franchise tag. The poster whom I responded to might not be aware of the cost, that’s all. I think it’s safe to rule out any possibility of the franchise tag.

We should have gone with Rohan Davey all along. :D

Stop it man. Brady isn’t going to take even $20m per year and be not even be in top half of QBs paid. That’s ridiculous. It’s one thing to be saying he’ll not take top dollar. Quite another to say he won’t even hit 50 percentile for his position.

And FYI Brady has already uncharacteristically publicly starting yapping about this.

Curran: Brady puts onus for new deal on Kraft

It’s clearly an issue. BB and Kraft are balking at paying Brady $25-30m and Brady and his agent probably feel it’s frankly ridiculous to be paid $20m. If Brady gets $20 them he’ll be paid less than 17 other QBs not to mention the mega contracts coming the way of Mahomes, Goff and Co, which will put Brady out of top 25 of QB salaries.

Quarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Let’s admit it. BB doesn’t want to pay Brady what he wants and there’s an issue here.
Wow
Stay away from comedy clubs because any humor will travel over your head

So what do think is Brady’s market value for a 2 year contract? You think it’s not even $25m per year? Do you think it’s not even $20m?

Clearly this is the math BB is doing as well.

He has no market value. We will be the only ones offering him a contract if we do.

He has no market value. We will be the only ones offering him a contract if we do.

Exactly. At 43 Brady’s market value will be highly diminished. I’m not sure what Biffins is dreaming about.

Take a pause and THINK about the OTHER SIDE of the equation also....... how motivated does Biffins think Brady will be as a 43 year old to leave the McDaniels/OBrien system and learn a new offensive programming language from a step down coach with completely new personnel? What percentage of 90 year olds buy Rosetta Stone?

Biffins, time to re-enter the world of reality. The Patriots aren’t competing with other teams for Brady’s services at this point. The only competition is with Gisele/lifestyle.

Last edited:
And FYI Brady has already uncharacteristically publicly starting yapping about this.

Worth noting, where you see "yapping about this" most of us see Brady playfully tweaking the media.

tenor.gif

I’m not picking a side in any debate, but rather pointing out how impractical it would be to pay Brady 34m on the franchise tag. The poster whom I responded to might not be aware of the cost, that’s all. I think it’s safe to rule out any possibility of the franchise tag.
No I was just setting up a hypothetical about what I perceive as a limited market for Brady IF he reached FA AND wanted to test it. I was just wondering if you could think of some teams that MIGHT be interested in him other than the 2 I mentioned. I don't think there would be much of a market for him and if there was one, it is unlikely they'd be teams he'd be interesting in going to.

I guess it was just an exercise in proving that this contract drama isn't as big as the media is making it out to be, because it's not a big deal even if Brady plays this year out. I wasn't questioning what you posted. $35MM is not an option

Wow. Sounds like all of you are ready to gamble that no team is willing to pay Brady $25m-30m for a year. That’s a dangerous gamble. Favre got a great contract from both the Vikings and Jets on a rental.

I think lots of teams would be willing to pay that.

When you say “no value” I assume you mean $5-10m ? I am pretty sure Brady won’t play for that money. He’d rather retire.

I think this situation is explosive and everyone’s too calm about it

This entire topic is click bait. But it's fun click bait so I'll join in.

If I'm the Pats the ONLY reason I'd do an extension with Brady is to create some much needed cap space.....PERIOD.

The Pats really don't have to do anything. Christ, the guy is 42, and 42 is 42. This end is coming. I would think even Brady would be OK with going year to year for the rest of his career. If creating some cap space isn't a real need, then just let him play out his final year and IF he has another good year, franchise him for 2020 that would pay him well over $30MM for that season.

Besides, in reality, what kind of market would their actually be for a 43 year old QB at the end of this season, even if he IS the GOAT. What team is out there that's only one QB away for a championship drive. Think about it. There has been a run on QB's over the last 5 seasons. Pretty much every team that needed a young QB got one that they are trying to build around. There aren't any Jags-like rosters left who are just a QB away from contending. That opening has been filled.

So in the end, this is much ado about nothing. A simple devise needed to create some drama going into TC. It's hard to create any when the team is likely to be in shorts and t-shirts until the weekend, so this will have to do.

Kraft: What do you want to do about next year?
TB:
Kraft: Why don't we go year to year and give you some freedom to decided after each season. It's good for you, and good for us.
TB: I think that's smart. The media will really hand wring. Eff em. :)

Worth noting, where you see "yapping about this" most of us see Brady playfully tweaking the media.

tenor.gif

Biffins and MCI Volin also believe Brady was serious about running that 40 in his backyard at 0000.67777333 seconds - - hell there was smoke coming from his ankles in that Instagram!!!!!!

Wow. Sounds like all of you are ready to gamble that no team is willing to pay Brady $25m-30m for a year. That’s a dangerous gamble. Favre got a great contract from both the Vikings and Jets on a rental.

I think lots of teams would be willing to pay that.

When you say “no value” I assume you mean $5-10m ? I am pretty sure Brady won’t play for that money. He’d rather retire.

Biffins, you and MCI Volin need to pause and think.......

What team desperate enough to pay $25-30 million for a 43 year old QB who would have to learn a completely different offensive system with completely different personnel for the first time in a GENERATION would Tom Brady (and his wife/kids) entrust his physical welfare to?

Please. We're awaiting your informed answer.

So here is my plan (which I've stated before, but will bore you all again):

1) TB12 signs 2 yr extension.
2) TB12 and the Pats dominate this year to another Super Bowl.
3) After the SB parade TB12 pulls a hammy celebrating with the kiddos and despite numerous avocado treatments sits out the 20-21 season.
4) Pats go 0-16.
5) Pats draft Trevor Lawrence.
6) TB12 heals up and leads Pats on one last miracle ride in 21-22 and retires with another ring, all while teaching Lawrence everything he knows.
7) The Trevor Lawrence dynasty begins.

giphy.gif

Wow. Sounds like all of you are ready to gamble that no team is willing to pay Brady $25m-30m for a year.

It's telling that you ascribe the thoughts of some to being those of all even though the thread has posts from folks that clearly do not foresee Brady ever getting to FA. I am one of them.

There's a world of difference between something being potentially explosive and it actually...you know...exploding.

I don't think Brady is going anywhere and that things will get done like they always do.

However, I have to laugh at those who say Brady has no or very diminished market value. I think we can all agree that even at age 42, Brady looks to be in as good form as he was last year. If that plays out for this year, if I was a QB-starved team like at least 1/2 of the teams in the league are, I would sign Brady next year in a heartbeat to a top 10 QB contract and let HIM run the offense. You know he can. Let him bring a coach with him and off you go. Teams would be chomping at the bit to do this, even if it was only for one or two years. Sheesh.

I don't think Brady is going anywhere and that things will get done like they always do.

However, I have to laugh at those who say Brady has no or very diminished market value. I think we can all agree that even at age 42, Brady looks to be in as good form as he was last year. If that plays out for this year, if I was a QB-starved team like at least 1/2 of the teams in the league are, I would sign Brady next year in a heartbeat to a top 10 QB contract and let HIM run the offense. You know he can. Let him bring a coach with him and off you go. Teams would be chomping at the bit to do this, even if it was only for one or two years. Sheesh.

He's not going to another team at the age of 43 to learn his first new offensive system in 20 years with completely new personnel. He's not that desperate to increase the risk to his body.

Remember his famous quote "Why would I ever retire - - by this time I know the answers before the test is given!". You actually believe he wants to learn a new language with new players?

Plus, Gisele would divorce him live on TV and set fire to his wardrobe for putting his body in that much more danger.

The mere thought is idiotic.

The only competition the Patriots have for his services is retirement, not another NFL team.

Last edited:
He's not going to another team at the age of 43 to learn his first new offensive system in 20 years with completely new personnel. He's not that desperate.

Plus, Gisele would divorce him live on TV and set fire to his wardrobe for putting his body in that much more danger.

Can we stop that dumb discussion?

I said in my first line that this is going nowhere, and I agree that Brady is not (nor will he ever be) desperate. I was just responding to the folks saying that Brady will have to take a hugely below-market deal from the Pats because no one else would want him or pay him the big bucks. That's a dumb discussion too.

He's not going to another team at the age of 43 to learn his first new offensive system in 20 years with completely new personnel. He's not that desperate to increase the risk to his body.

Remember his famous quote "Why would I ever retire - - by this time I know the answers before the test is given!". You actually believe he wants to learn a new language with new players?

The mere thought is idiotic.

The only competition the Patriots have for his services is retirement, not another NFL team.

Thank you for writing this so I don't have to. The writing about Brady ending his career here has been on the wall for quite some time. This is the place he knows he can continue winning with an infrastructure built around his skills.

The ship to play somewhere else has sailed some time around 2015, realistically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down