PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine the CA-RAZY madness that would fall upon the League if Brady was available to the highest bidder after this season ?

A soon-to-be 43 year old football player with tens of millions of dollars thrown his way by every franchise that thinks they are “one key player away”... Would be quasi impossible to explain to future generations !

And the publicity for the league... it would dominate all media.

Luckily, I suspect the odds are minuscule.
Franchise tag will be available. Just pay him.

There is no way that Kraft ever lets Brady put on another uniform, case closed!
If the Pats win 7 this year and Brady is still Brady, then in the worst case they franchise him. It would be weird though and out of place.

I don’t like it. I feel like we have had two decades of not having to worry about his contract. I still think it gets done in August but I wish it was already hammered out by now.

All you guys talking how "Brady doesn't care about money" are completely missing the point and wrong. Yes Brady is not maximizing his contracts the way say Manning was or Russel Wilson is but Brady still cares about getting paid a decent amount.

Last year everyone pooh-poohed the idea that Brady's gripes were about his salary and no way was he demand incentives to be added to his contract and then suddenly, Lo and Behold, out of nowhere and purely out of the goodness of their hearts, BB and Kraft added incentives to Brady's contract.

Report: Tom Brady, Patriots to Add Performance-Based Incentives to Contract

You can't simultaneously say "Brady doesn't care" while seeing Brady re-negotiate contracts for incentives since he feels he is underpaid.

I am 100% sure they will come to an agreement but this won't be a walk in the park and the new top-dollar contracts are approaching $35m. Gone are the days where $20m stayed the cap for a while and close to where Brady last did his deal. Brady will likely come at $25-30m per year for 2 years now which will place him around #5-10 in the league.

• 1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 5. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
  • 6. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
  • 7. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million
  • 8. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million
  • 9. Saints QB Drew Brees: $25 million
  • 10. Colts QB Andrew Luck: $24.6 million
I mean you can't pay him less than Cousins, Garopollo and Carr! Come on!

BB and Kraft are probably chewing on this.

OK, you've confused me. You reference a report made on August 9, 2018 (almost a year ago) about a contract change that was likely to happen within 24 hours. Did it happen or not? Since these contracts are all filed with the NFL and viewable within a reasonable amount of time, I'm amazed that you'd be quoting something that was "going to happen" rather than what actually happened.

A quick internet search for 2018 incentives listed as part of his contract (I don't know if these were part of the original contract or if these are the incentives you were referring to):
  • 2018 Incentives: $1M each for
    Top 5 in passer rating (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in completion percentage (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in yards per attempt (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in touchdown passes (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in passing yards (LTBE) not earned
Is this what you're referring to? Or to something else? Note that none of these incentives were earned in 2018 so I wouldn't make a big deal about these contract changes, if indeed these incentives were the contract changes.

OK, you've confused me. You reference a report made on August 9, 2018 (almost a year ago) about a contract change that was likely to happen within 24 hours. Did it happen or not? Since these contracts are all filed with the NFL and viewable within a reasonable amount of time, I'm amazed that you'd be quoting something that was "going to happen" rather than what actually happened.

A quick internet search for 2018 incentives listed as part of his contract (I don't know if these were part of the original contract or if these are the incentives you were referring to):
  • 2018 Incentives: $1M each for
    Top 5 in passer rating (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in completion percentage (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in yards per attempt (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in touchdown passes (LTBE) not earned
    Top 5 in passing yards (LTBE) not earned
Is this what you're referring to? Or to something else? Note that none of these incentives were earned in 2018 so I wouldn't make a big deal about these contract changes, if indeed these incentives were the contract changes.

Yes it happened. Brady renegotiated his contract before start of last season to add $5m in incentives and then didn’t earn any of them.

An insider told me that Brady is planning to play as a scab during the upcoming player's strike. By not signing a contract, he shields himself from a potential lockout or crossing the picket line. This makes gives him the ability to be an all-out scab and a probable MVP and another Super Bowl run.

While the rest of the league plays checkers...

A couple of points that drive me nuts about any Brady salary talk.

Everyone should understand that there is a REASON Brady is only earning $15MM in salary and roster bonuses while having a 27MM cap number. In case you don't know it, its because Brady has long since pocketed that $12MM and it's earning interest. Brady's deals have always been front loaded. But at 42 it would be very foolhardy to front load a Brady deal even if its only for 3 or 4 years.

Secondly, all the talk jocks are making it seem like Brady is whining in a corner complaining about being disrespected and underappreciated. That is just UTTER nonesense. No athlete in Patriots history has been more respected and appreciated by its franchise. For Brady to be ACTUALLY taking that position would belie almost 20 years of previous behavior. After 20 years of being paid well, but not at the top of the market, NOW suddenly its important that he makes more than JG. :rolleyes: NOW after 2o years of understanding that the more money there is left for his teammates the better his TEAM is going to be, he suddenly wants to cash in in a year his team has only $5MM in cap space. Do you think he isn't smart enough to understand his unique situation as a 42 year old QB.

The Pats would be crazy to do any extension that wasn't structured to be essentially a series of one year deals and Brady would be unrealistic to expect otherwise.

Finally, I fully expect Tom Brady to be the Pats QB for the next 2 years at LEAST. I fully expect then to work out some sort of structure to make that happen before the season start. And sadly, I fully expect the drama queen media to make this molehill into a Himalayan Mountain until it happens. :rolleyes:

Brady is clearly very upset about this.

Tacko on the FG block team could be a game-changer!
Actually I was thinking him as a short yardage WR. Imagine being inside the 5 and running a corner-fade route. You could literally throw it an extra foot in the air compared to other WRs.

I don’t like it. I feel like we have had two decades of not having to worry about his contract. I still think it gets done in August but I wish it was already hammered out by now.
Why worry? He isn’t going anywhere.

Everyone should understand that there is a REASON Brady is only earning $15MM in salary and roster bonuses while having a 27MM cap number. In case you don't know it, its because Brady has long since pocketed that $12MM and it's earning interest. Brady's deals have always been front loaded. But at 42 it would be very foolhardy to front load a Brady deal even if its only for 3 or 4 years.

Secondly, all the talk jocks are making it seem like Brady is whining in a corner complaining about being disrespected and underappreciated. That is just UTTER nonesense. No athlete in Patriots history has been more respected and appreciated by its franchise. For Brady to be ACTUALLY taking that position would belie almost 20 years of previous behavior. After 20 years of being paid well, but not at the top of the market, NOW suddenly its important that he makes more than JG. :rolleyes: NOW after 2o years of understanding that the more money there is left for his teammates the better his TEAM is going to be, he suddenly wants to cash in in a year his team has only $5MM in cap space. Do you think he isn't smart enough to understand his unique situation as a 42 year old QB.

The Pats would be crazy to do any extension that wasn't structured to be essentially a series of one year deals and Brady would be unrealistic to expect otherwise.

Finally, I fully expect Tom Brady to be the Pats QB for the next 2 years at LEAST. I fully expect then to work out some sort of structure to make that happen before the season start. And sadly, I fully expect the drama queen media to make this molehill into a Himalayan Mountain until it happens. :rolleyes:
Well-said, Ken. It particularly irritates me when I see media people I typically like spout this contract crap. Tom Curran is a case in point. Most of the time I enjoy and trust his takes. But, he has a definite blind spot when it comes Brady and Belichick. He's been convinced for a long time that they dislike one another a lot and that BB is constantly screwing Brady over. It's really infuriating, at least to me.

Well-said, Ken. It particularly irritates me when I see media people I typically like spout this contract crap. Tom Curran is a case in point. Most of the time I enjoy and trust his takes. But, he has a definite blind spot when it comes Brady and Belichick. He's been convinced for a long time that they dislike one another a lot and that BB is constantly screwing Brady over. It's really infuriating, at least to me.

why would he screw him over? I mean he wants to win games. That makes zero sense.

Stop it man. Brady isn’t going to take even $20m per year and be not even be in top half of QBs paid. That’s ridiculous. It’s one thing to be saying he’ll not take top dollar. Quite another to say he won’t even hit 50 percentile for his position.

And FYI Brady has already uncharacteristically publicly starting yapping about this.

Curran: Brady puts onus for new deal on Kraft

It’s clearly an issue. BB and Kraft are balking at paying Brady $25-30m and Brady and his agent probably feel it’s frankly ridiculous to be paid $20m. If Brady gets $20 them he’ll be paid less than 17 other QBs not to mention the mega contracts coming the way of Mahomes, Goff and Co, which will put Brady out of top 25 of QB salaries.

Quarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Let’s admit it. BB doesn’t want to pay Brady what he wants and there’s an issue here.

Stop it man. Brady isn’t going to take even $20m per year and be not even be in top half of QBs paid. That’s ridiculous. It’s one thing to be saying he’ll not take top dollar. Quite another to say he won’t even hit 50 percentile for his position.

And FYI Brady has already uncharacteristically publicly starting yapping about this.

It’s clearly an issue. BB and Kraft are balking at paying Brady $25-30m and Brady and his agent probably feel it’s frankly ridiculous to be paid $20m. If Brady gets $20 them he’ll be paid less than 17 other QBs not to mention the mega contracts coming the way of Mahomes, Goff and Co, which will put Brady out of top 25 of QB salaries.

Let’s admit it. BB doesn’t want to pay Brady what he wants and there’s an issue here.

In the words of the legendary Ochcinco, Chile Pleez.. You're embarrassing yourself and everyone reading your piffle.

"Brady has already uncharacteristically publicly starting yapping about this"???????? Are you serious????

Anyone watching that interview session today can plainly see he's offhandedly/kiddingly saying "Ask Mr. Kraft" - - right after he jokingly says 'I don't know, that's up for talk show debate, what do you guys think about it?'' (he's literally making fun of the media, if you don't notice it).

Here, I'll even spoon feed it for you if it's too hard - - between 6:12 - 6:24o of the clip:

The sun will rise, the sun will set, Brady will sign a cap friendly deal and your little campaign will provide a few minutes of laughter if and when someone down the line actually cares to open this thread as a look back.

Last edited:

This would be a good point for you to back away from the keyboard and quietly watch.

What part of "getting money up front" DON'T you understand. Yes he's only getting around $15MM this year in cash, but the ADDITIONAL $12MM that makes up his $27MM cap hit is money he got when he signed his last extension. It's money he has already banked.

God are you OBTUSE to use a Shawshank reference. ;) I don't give a F*ck about what Curran thinks. Its his JOB to create drama....even when there is none. You have to take what they write with a HUGE grain of salt.

Brady has more money than his great grand kids could ever spend. Brady has more acclaim than any other QB in the history of the game (well deserved btw) . For 2o years he has NEVER seen his value measured by the contracts he's gotten. WHY has it suddenly changed now???????????????? Do you really think that at 42 he's suddenly worried about his freakin' job security and needs an extension? :rolleyes:

They will do an extension because they need the cap space to be able to maneuver comfortably over the course of the regular season. They will do an extension because it will end the questions about Brady's future for the next 2 seasons. OR they may not do one and just go year to year. BTW- When you have a 42 year old QB, going year to year WOULD be the smart way to go.....even if its Tom Brady

BTW- I'm betting any extension Brady gets will be filled with incentives just like the last one.

Personally I bet Brady got a big kick pushing the media's buttons over a topic that is likely very low on his priority list.

It would cost the team close to 34m to franchise Brady, next year.
Supe Just for a discussion hypothetically. Tom Brady becomes a FA next season and wants to test the market.

Who is going to pay him $25-35MM/yr. I opine most teams have their franchise QB that they are paying big money to, OR have a young guy they are building around. Brady wouldn't go to a team what doesn't look like strong contender for a Superbowl. Also next year there will be ANOTHER 3-5 QB's coming out with "can't miss" grades which limits the market.

Off the top of my head the only 2 teams I could see wanting to sign Brady and having a good enough team for him to even consider going to are the Titans and Lions, IF those teams give up on Stafford and Mariotta

I think that most fans think that there would be a LOT of teams willing to line up to pay a 43 year old QB. I don't see it, even if he wanted to go, WHICH I doubt very much.

Can you think of any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back