PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many other players have been considered hands-down the greatest ever in their sport? To think that Tom Brady isn’t a gigantic exception to any rule, to me, would be mind boggling. There’s tremendous value to the fans and franchise to have him play his entire career in New England. I don’t think the Lakers regret keeping Kobe Bryant for an extra year or two or the Yankees regret extending Derek Jeter past his productive days. I highly doubt, with the way things stand right now, we’re talking about a really clear and obvious situation where an old TB12 is a huge liability.
I havent commented on this thread until now. I see it the same way as long as brady plays like brady pay him. Over his career he has taken far less money as far as market value goes to help the team win and become one of the greatest franchises of all time. So again pay the man, hes the greatest of all time and deserves to play his entire career here. Just do a series of voidable one year contracts with a yearly raise, and if Tb falls off the preverbal cliff the team can void the next contract. So if brady crashes next year the future contract(s) are voided.

Last edited:
Over a 18 year period Tom has made $35m less than Peyton Manning- the king of me first ($247m v $212m)

I can guarantee you Tom wouldn't change places with him in a million years.

Fans who say, "We need to pay Tom" need to gain some perspective on how the man operates which is he wants to paid fairly but is willing to sacrifice a couple of bucks to win and have a great situation.

I think we have what this team needs, what is required is the generation of chemistry with Brady.
I can understand that veterans don't need OTAs for certain positions. The QB position is not one of them especially for Brady. For all the greatness he has shown, he is one QB that requires WR/TEs to be exactly at his prefered spots on the field and I don't know how he can develop the chemistry he needs before the season starts. If Jules gets hurt, Brady will look very poor out there.

Your argument was killed forever last year. Why you choose to try resurrecting it is something I leave for your therapist to figure out.

Can you list how this team has screwed Brady? I hope you are not referring to the QB picks the team has made recently. The team was just planning for the future. It will have been negligent for them not to be thinking and moving that way. We have won 3 superbowls the last few seasons. How has the team screwed Brady in his old age?

This is well plowed ground, and I'm not going to re-visit it with someone who is still being ridiculous enough to think that Brady missing OTA's is significant with regards to regular season play.

Over a 18 year period Tom has made $35m less than Peyton Manning- the king of me first ($247m v $212m)

I can guarantee you Tom wouldn't change places with him in a million years.

Fans who say, "We need to pay Tom" need to gain some perspective on how the man operates which is he wants to paid fairly but is willing to sacrifice a couple of bucks to win and have a great situation.

Yeah, even with this recent negotiation, the issue isn’t “paying Tom.” The Patriots gave him an $8M raise that wasn’t even incentive-based like last year, which is glossed over but I believe is the largest raise they’ve ever done. I believe I read the annual amount is exactly what Brees is getting (Brees also has a void deal just like Tom.) The issue has more to do with committing to a multi-year guaranteed deal.

They put the 2020 salary at $31M. Now, I’m not sure, but doesn’t the contract need to be a raise for the player if it’s renegotiated? If that’s the case, then wouldn’t that make $31M the minimum offer?

Yeah, even with this recent negotiation, the issue isn’t “paying Tom.” The Patriots gave him an $8M raise that wasn’t even incentive-based like last year, which is glossed over but I believe is the largest raise they’ve ever done. I believe I read the annual amount is exactly what Brees is getting (Brees also has a void deal just like Tom.) The issue has more to do with committing to a multi-year guaranteed deal.

They put the 2020 salary at $31M. Now, I’m not sure, but doesn’t the contract need to be a raise for the player if it’s renegotiated? If that’s the case, then wouldn’t that make $31M the minimum offer?
I wondered the same thing - Where in the hell did they get those 2020 and 2021 #'s????

Answer it was for cap mgt purposes.

Good article here. Explains it at the end.

Agent's Take: An inside look at Tom Brady and Drew Brees contracts, and how they're connected

How many other players have been considered hands-down the greatest ever in their sport? To think that Tom Brady isn’t a gigantic exception to any rule, to me, would be mind boggling. There’s tremendous value to the fans and franchise to have him play his entire career in New England. I don’t think the Lakers regret keeping Kobe Bryant for an extra year or two or the Yankees regret extending Derek Jeter past his productive days. I highly doubt, with the way things stand right now, we’re talking about a really clear and obvious situation where an old TB12 is a huge liability.
Right, and probably the Celtics don't regret keeping the Big Three together for those last couple years. The Red Sox are probably extremely happy they signed Dustin Pedroia to that huge multi year contract too. Brady is obviously not a liability now, and won't be one until he is. But I think it is foolish to throw huge multi year contracts at him, just because.

Right, and probably the Celtics don't regret keeping the Big Three together for those last couple years. The Red Sox are probably extremely happy they signed Dustin Pedroia to that huge multi year contract too. Brady is obviously not a liability now, and won't be one until he is. But I think it is foolish to throw huge multi year contracts at him, just because.

Ainge's comments about what he'd have done notwithstanding, the Celtics decline was mostly about two extremely talented players dropping dead on the team.

To state the obvious Brady is hugely risky at 43, next year, and adding on after. He's happy enough, it seems, for this year. Cap acceleration next year is big but manageable. Revisit next year, they will know how much they like Stidham, and can evaluate from there.

I don't care who you are, a long term deal, with big bonus/guarantees, at this point is very risky. Decline, major injury, etc could crush them. $13M hit is manageable especially as we may have decent carryover depending on moves from here out.

End of career is tricky if player isn't taking big discount on guarantee.

No, it's exactly the opposite. They can only renegotiate before he hits FA if it's with a smaller salary.

Imagine if Stidham looks good. Not jumping the gun, just saying. If you think Jimmy annoyed Brady, we 'ain't seen nothing yet.

Being objective it is a two way street

Your argument was killed forever last year. Why you choose to try resurrecting it is something I leave for your therapist to figure out.

This is well plowed ground, and I'm not going to re-visit it with someone who is still being ridiculous enough to think that Brady missing OTA's is significant with regards to regular season play.
From BB's point of view, OTAs are important. I don't know why I bothered to have this discussion knowing it may lead to insults. Sorry for engaging with you. Not my style to insult people I disagree with. Last time.

Ohhhh, you're a Stidhamite.
Garrapolites and Stidamites are very similar religious sects. Its like Pagans where you have Wiccas and Druids.

And 2/3 of that difference is directly tied to how their respective draft positions (#1 overall w/out the rookie wage scale vs 199th) influenced their initial contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back