PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some contract details from Breer - generally lines up with what was already deduced:

Yep. We had figured out it needed to be a bonus of $20.25mil and $2.75mil of "regular" money, though I was guessing it'd be a salary of $2.75mil rather than a salary of $1mil and roster bonuses totally $1.75mil. I wonder what the reason for the roster bonus thing was.

Brady is playing in New England this year, and he's making $8 million more than he was previously going to.
Brady's deal ends after this season, and has void years for cap purposes.
Brady cannot be franchised or transitioned at the end of the season.
In theory, either Brady or the team can walk away after this year, and there would be a large, but not crazy, cap hit.
In theory, the two sides can still work out deals for Brady staying for another year or more.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Who honestly believes Bradys going to move on to an entirely new system/team at age 43? Relocate, get used to a new coach, OL and offense? Not this guy.

He got a raise for leading a team to a super bowl; they gave him 2 years IF he decides to keep it going, and if he does they set the money high enough as to where they can simply re-negotiate the numbers down if his play starts dropping.

Welcome to your final destination Brady.

Who honestly believes Bradys going to move on to an entirely new system/team at age 43? Relocate, get used to a new coach, OL and offense? Not this guy.

He got a raise for leading a team to a super bowl; they gave him 2 years IF he decides to keep it going, and if he does they set the money high enough as to where they can simply re-negotiate the numbers down if his play starts dropping.

Not that I think he'll do it, but Brady could slide right down to Tennessee and take Mariota's spot. For that matter, if Rosen doesn't establish himself this year, Brady could spend a year or two in Miami. I'm sure the wife would enjoy having South Beach nearby.

Nobody thinks it will happen, but it could. Who saw Favre leaving the Packers at 39? Jerry Rice leaving the 49ers at 39? I'm sure you'll try to split hairs about how these situations were different, but they were basically every bit as iconic as Brady to their respective franchises.

Florio is trolling for clicks, but saying "he *could* play somewhere else" isn't pedantic, it is just a sad reality of pro sports.

I'm sure he'll finish his career with NE but don't underestimate the possibilities.

Brady’s comments are quite telling. I’ll also take Curran’s word on the situation as he no doubt has sources close to Brady. I have no doubt people on here will use whatever mental gymnastics necessary to spin this as a win win.

The same Tom E Curran who just a few days ago had Brady supposedly putting Kraft's fat in the fire? The same Tom E Curran who was part of the 'there's a yawning chasm dividing Brady/Belichick/Kraft' and the end is here last season? The same Tom E Curran who had Brady missing the '09 season with a horrific infection? I could go on but hopefully you've got the idea by now.

Mental gymnastics indeed, lmfao

Yadda Yadda Yadda Brady will be here playing at 45.

Nobody thinks it will happen, but it could. Who saw Favre leaving the Packers at 39? Jerry Rice leaving the 49ers at 39? I'm sure you'll try to split hairs about how these situations were different, but they were basically every bit as iconic as Brady to their respective franchises.

It isn’t splitting hairs because the circumstances were completely different. Favre fake retired like 8 times and then ran into trouble when Rodgers surpassed him and went into a now-or-never type of standoff. Rice went from SF to Oakland to play for a contender, to the approving nods of 49ers fans. I get what you’re saying that no one foresaw those guys ever switching teams, but there are far more cases where franchise icons did not change teams.

Also, if anything it is easier to pull this off in today’s world of sports. Athletes and teams realize the marketing opportunity that exists for both if they co-exist until they mutually agree it’s over. Recently, we have Jeter, Rivera, Kobe, and Duncan as examples. One thing about these guys is they each won five championships and didn’t need to switch teams late in their careers to cement their legacies.

95% chance he's playing here in 2020

Just caught a couple of minutes of Curran on Boston Sports Tonight, and I'm paraphrasing somewhat: "Brady sat down with Belichik and Kraft. Wanted Drew Brees money guaranteed, didn't get it. The discussion got contentious, particularly on Brady's part and it is what it is. We'll see what happens." That's all I managed to hear.

Just caught a couple of minutes of Curran on Boston Sports Tonight, and I'm paraphrasing somewhat: "Brady sat down with Belichik and Kraft. Wanted Drew Brees money guaranteed, didn't get it. The discussion got contentious, particularly on Brady's part and it is what it is. We'll see what happens." That's all I managed to hear.
In order to believe what Curran says, you have to believe that either Brady, Kraft or Belichick leaked it. I don't think any of the 3 of them would do that here.

I'll wait to see what Jeff Howe says. HE is plugged in very well with someone in Foxboro.

Curran is hit or miss. "Brady will miss 09 and may never come back!"

Ol' Tom E needs to brush up on the First Law of Holes

I'm not sure of your sourcing, but multiple members of the media have a different take. It will be interesting to see what narrative ends up being dominant.

Well said especially using the term "narrative" -- which is not to be confused with the term "reality" :)

QM, obviously there are a few posters here who magically believe there is an NFL team out there ready to lose all credibility with its fanbase next year to pay $25-30 million to a 43 year old QB from another system who would have to learn the names and characteristics of 25 new teammates and develop brand new working relationships with new coaches/staff........and that said almost-billionaire 43 year old QB would have any desire whatsoever to do so.

The internet is an entertaining place :D.

The rest of us who have witnessed the past 20 years know that if Brady performs well and isn't a liability to the team this year, he will get another contract offer similar to this (given inflation and new cap ceiling escalators). He will either accept it or Gisele will persuade him to retire.
I'm sorry smessy with all due respect, you are making TB sound like he is a rookie. Do you really believe that after 20 years with Belichick and the Pats that Brady can't walk into any camp and learn their system? Are you implying that Tom Brady would pull a Reggie Wayne? This is the most competitive human being on the planet. He'll not only learn the system, he'll probably excel in it just to prove the detractors wrong (again).

We've heard a million times how BB rather let a player go earlier rather than later. He's done it over and over, with good veteran players. This is a business. Brady knows this. He just said it. We can all pretend the Pats are this big happy family but they are nothing but a business.

As far as finding a team that will hire Brady for a year or 2, there will be plenty, and they will pay more than the Pats are willing to pay. I mean Broncos hired Flacco (who at least has a SB). There are plenty of dumb desperate teams out there with money.

Not saying this is going to happen, but if it does, it wouldn't surprise me.

I don’t mind that the team is taking a cautious approach, but I kind of wish that they’d have addressed the QB situation outside of Stidham, and no, I’m not going to include Etling.

Their lack of concern seems to be a big hint that Tom will be back for 2020, but I sure felt better when I saw the news of the extension a couple of days ago.

That’s especially ironic because Brees has the same type of contract that voids after this year. Both players are going to re-sign if the teams still want them. The issue would be if the team believes the player is done and the player believes he isn’t.

Bold Prediction: Brady will either play in NE, play elsewhere or retire next year. Bank on it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3