PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s totally right. This isn’t a 3 year deal. It’s a one year deal with two phony years to provide cap relief this year.

I agree and disagree. I agree with your interpretation but thoroughly disagree with Curran's BS. In light of this deal (and every other one they've done) Curran's: "In short, Brady gets his raise and the Patriots get their way in terms of being able to pull the ripcord on Brady next March if they don’t think he’s worth the huge salary and he refuses a renegotiation." is just pure unadulterated BS. Brady and the Pats have always worked it out amenably and there is nothing about this deal that implies anything other than business as usual between them. The Pats aren't going to 'pull the ripcord' and Brady has always shown himself willing to negotiate, Curran damn right well knows it.

just like the $27M was fake this year

Should Brady want to play, they will renegotiate again next year, with a cap in the $20M - $30M range. But make no mistake, Brady's compensation is much high than before (which is fine). If Brady plays next year, he'll probably get his $30M.

Neither of the 2020 or 2021 years will be played out as is. He will either retire, be cut, or they’ll renegotiate. NE isn’t going to accept a $37mil cap hit next year.

Prediction: Brady's career will end in New England, and they'll have a substantial (5-10m) dead cap hit for one or two years beyond that. I'm good with that. Heck, I'd be good with a massive one year dead cap hit if that was the rebuilder year.

Brady's earned every nickle and a billion more.

Tom Brady: Uncertainty is the reality for most NFL players, I’m no different

“It’s the reality for most guys in the NFL. I don’t want to think I’m any different from everyone else. Football’s a tough business. It’s a production business. I’m ready to go this year, and that’s really what matters, and that’s where my focus is. It’s a unique situation I’m in. It’s my 20th year with the same team and I’m 42 years old,” Brady said. “I’m really not worried about it. I’m secure for this year — I think, at least, I got some first-team reps out there.

Brady confirmed it's basically a 1 year deal.

Brady to the Lakers in 2020?

Tom Brady: Uncertainty is the reality for most NFL players, I’m no different

“It’s the reality for most guys in the NFL. I don’t want to think I’m any different from everyone else. Football’s a tough business. It’s a production business. I’m ready to go this year, and that’s really what matters, and that’s where my focus is. It’s a unique situation I’m in. It’s my 20th year with the same team and I’m 42 years old,” Brady said. “I’m really not worried about it. I’m secure for this year — I think, at least, I got some first-team reps out there.

Think that may have been in jest. Would have to hear him say it lol.

BTW to the dislike person "It is what it is" is obviously Bill's line...Tom was making a joke there

Last edited:

Given the rest of what he said was "I’m really not worried about it. I’m secure for this year — I think, at least, I got some first-team reps out there." I'd agree

Doesn’t seem too relieved...

A co-worker just pointed out to me that the average annual value of Brady’s extension is $28.3 million. Hmmm 28 and 3 where have seen those numbers before?

Wow....being reported that Brady's contract gets voided at end of this season with NE agreeing not to franchise TB12 in any form.
A true FA this winter

Sports Talk nirvana has arrived

Wow....being reported that Brady's contract gets voided at end of this season with NE agreeing not to franchise TB12 in any form.
A true FA this winter

Sports Talk nirvana has arrived

It will keep the local talking heads from talking about how bad the baseball team sucks.
So they can piss us off instead.
All good things come to an end. Lets enjoy the season and see what happens later.

Sources: #Patriots QB Tom Brady’s new deal includes a provision that does not allow NE to franchise or transition tag him for the 2020 season. The final two years automatically void on the last day of the 2019 league year, but he cannot be tagged. Brady will be a free agent.

If that turns out to be true, those of you who listen to 98.5 might want to listen to a music or news station for a couple of days.

Wow. Sounds like all of you are ready to gamble that no team is willing to pay Brady $25m-30m for a year. That’s a dangerous gamble. Favre got a great contract from both the Vikings and Jets on a rental.

I think lots of teams would be willing
Neither of the 2020 or 2021 years will be played out as is. He will either retire, be cut, or they’ll renegotiate. NE isn’t going to accept a $37mil cap hit next year.

QM, obviously there are a few posters here who magically believe there is an NFL team out there ready to lose all credibility with its fanbase next year to pay $25-30 million to a 43 year old QB from another system who would have to learn the names and characteristics of 25 new teammates and develop brand new working relationships with new coaches/staff........and that said almost-billionaire 43 year old QB would have any desire whatsoever to do so.

The internet is an entertaining place :D.

The rest of us who have witnessed the past 20 years know that if Brady performs well and isn't a liability to the team this year, he will get another contract offer similar to this (given inflation and new cap ceiling escalators). He will either accept it or Gisele will persuade him to retire.

Last edited:

If that turns out to be true, those of you who listen to 98.5 might want to listen to a music or news station for a couple of days.

I think this means that if the Patriots and Brady don't agree on a new contract prior to the end of the league year, the entire remaining signing bonus from this weekend's agreement would hit the Patriots 2020 cap. That would be the case even if the Patriots resign him during the free agency period. That would be $13.5M. They might be able to designate him as post-June 1 for cap purposes to keep the cap hits the same ($6.75M in 2020 and 2021) but that wouldn't be effective until 6/1 so it would tie the Patriots up during free agency.

So basically, they'll be coming to an agreement on the next contract in late February / early March, not next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes