PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you. If Brady and the Pats keep pushing the money down the road one way or another what happens when Brady retires? Does any part of the contract affect the cap after a player retires?
Yes. Any unamortized signing bonus is accelerated.

For example, if a player signs a 5 year deal with a $40mil signing bonus, that $40mil is charged to the cap at $40mil/5yrs = $8mil/year. If the player retires after completing 2 years of the contract, the remaining "uncharged" $24mil hits the cap the next season, as I understand it.

I also believe the cap hit in that case can be reduced if the contract has a "clawback" provision (i.e. if the player is required to pay back any of the bonus because he retired, the team can get a cap credit for whatever bonus they are able to recover from the player.)

So, basically, if I understand correctly, it is just a way to get this year's cap number down?

So, basically, if I understand correctly, it is just a way to get this year's cap number down?
Exactly. That's the only thing this does (and gives Brady a 2019 raise).

It, for better or worse, changes nothing about Brady's post-2019 fate.

As someone upthread said, if he didn't sign it, then next offseason we'd all be wondering "Will Brady retire? Will the team let him go? Will they sign a new contract? Will they franchise him at ~$34mil?" And now that he did sign it, then next offseason we'll all be wondering "Will Brady retire? Will the team cut him? Will they sign a new contract? Will they pay him and take the $36mil cap hit?"

@rochrist - How do you figure they couldn't easily restructure Williams contract to push money to next year? All it takes is converting salary to signing bonus. They could convert 9M of his salary to Signing bonus pushing 4.5M to next year rather easily.

Exactly. That's the only thing this does (and gives Brady a 2019 raise).

It, for better or worse, changes nothing about Brady's post-2019 fate.

As someone upthread said, if he didn't sign it, then next offseason we'd all be wondering "Will Brady retire? Will the team let him go? Will they sign a new contract? Will they franchise him at ~$34mil?" And now that he did sign it, then next offseason we'll all be wondering "Will Brady retire? Will the team cut him? Will they sign a new contract? Will they pay him and take the $36mil cap hit?"

Except they couldn’t afford to franchise him twice but now they can just pay him and keep him till 2022 if they wanted. Also the tag is available for use elsewhere.

The article is filled with dissension speculation - past, present and future. The speculation is assumed as fact and not one source is either quoted or referenced. What a piece of garbage.

Yep. Yet this guy calls out New York media for being gossipy and low substance :rolleyes:
I love to pile on a crappy article with the rest of us, but in Curran’s defense, how is he wrong? The numbers for 2020 and 2021 are, indeed, “placeholders.” I think we all know that the Pats aren’t going to pay a cap hit north of 35m.

What they announced yesterday seems to be a win-win in terms of saving the team 5.5m against this year’s cap, giving the team control without the need to franchise, allowing them flexibility in case he looks bad this year and they want to move on, shifting the fan/media attention to a more positive note, and also allowing Tom to save a little face in an ongoing, good faith negotiating process that will be year-to-year.

I suppose we’ll know one way or the other as the details trickle out, but to me it seems as though it was spelled out very clearly with the phrasing that “both sides are willing to re-examine the numbers.” Schefter is a pretty reliable source, and he’s strongly suggesting that they’ll be back at the negotiating table.

In the hypothetical scenario where TB becomes a free agent and actually leaves for another team, the value of the team would take a massive hit which would far exceed the cost of extending Tom.

He is leaving in the next 2 (maybe 3) years anyway. So from that point of view if you assume that the value of the team will take massive hit then it will be inevitable.

The numbers for 2020 and 2021 are, indeed, “placeholders.” I think we all know that the Pats aren’t going to pay a cap hit north of 35m.

I think we all can agree on the aspect that the latter 2 years are placeholders.

The angle that i don't get -- and that has devolved into almost a passive aggressive fight between Curran and Giardi -- is that one of them vehemently is reporting Brady wanted a short deal while the team wanted a longer one. And the other (Curran) is saying that is absolutely not true and the team should have done better than putting a patch on this only to revisit it in a year.

Similarly I don't understand why he keeps emphasizing that this is just a contract that prevents the team from franchising Brady. Why would Brady care about that ? He is clearly in a year-to-year situation now. What is the difference ?

vs.

Looks like the two camps are feeding the same blame narrative about the other side to their beat guy of choice.

I'm good with it.

I remember that no QB with a caphit of over 14% has won a SB and rarely does a QB with a top 5 cap hit win the SB, so I can sleep well now with the adjusted number.:D

I know I am greedy but I want 7. That's all I want. I want to be the lone team with 7 and I want Brady to take us there. I actually want Brady to throw 45% and 3 INTs in a Super Bowl win just to really piss everyone off

I remember that no QB with a caphit of over 14% has won a SB and rarely does a QB with a top 5 cap hit win the SB, so I can sleep well now with the adjusted number.:D

No QB ever won a SB at age 41 either.....until February. This guy breaks “evers” every time he walks on a field now. So I wouldn’t judge based on what every other QB ever did. He’s not breaking the mold he IS the mold. That being said I hope they sit him down the moment he becomes a liability to the team. I’m a Patriots fan first and a player worshipper second.

I know I am greedy but I want 7. That's all I want. I want to be the lone team with 7 and I want Brady to take us there. I actually want Brady to throw 45% and 3 INTs in a Super Bowl win just to really piss everyone off

after 7 you'll want 8 and so on.

...And now that he did sign it, then next offseason we'll all be wondering "Will Brady retire? Will the team cut him? Will they sign a new contract? Will they pay him and take the $36mil cap hit?"
It will be retire in March/April or new contract right about this time next year. No fuss, no muss required.

what's funny is that Brady and the team have an agreement and yet there are so many to judge it........Brady could easily walk away and call it a career at this point.......he wants to play and he wants to play here......I think both sides know they're in uncharted waters.....Brady is an adult, he knows at 42 there is no 'long-term' ...... he said he will play until he sucks ..... I think the team is ok with that.....they probably know that one way or another, they're probably going to struggle through a year or so if the Brady era comes to an unpredictable end.

but the media needs to be the media

So, much for discounts.

Brady will get top dollar, $35M a year.
Neither of the 2020 or 2021 years will be played out as is. He will either retire, be cut, or they’ll renegotiate. NE isn’t going to accept a $37mil cap hit next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes