PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady / Belichick Era All-Time Superbowl Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocking that so many are leaving Deion Branch off that list.

Say wha?

It kind of depends on if your roster is based on overall production or "who do you trust most for 1 game."

Based on the latter I'd be tempted to play a healthy Malcolm Mitchell over Welker. 6/7 (85%) for 70 yards, and like 5/5 for 63 yards in the 4th quarter the Super Bowl. Dude was cash money in the clutch.

Laughable to put Welker on that list over Amendola. Presumably the point of the list is to put together the best team to win a Superbowl is it not?

Laughable to put Welker on that list over Amendola. Presumably the point of the list is to put together the best team to win a Superbowl is it not?

If the point is to have a roster that can GET TO the Super Bowl then you 100% want Welker. Amendola is a playoff wonder but a regular season ghost.

Generally a team of Super Bowl heroes won't be the best 19 game team.

Basically people are interpreting the question in different ways. I think my list ended up a mix of both.

Shocking that so many are leaving Deion Branch off that list.

Say wha?

WR is a tough group. An argument can be made for any of the below WRs assuming a 3 WR lineup.

Moss
Welker
Edelman
Brown
Branch
Amendola
Cooks

Branch was huge in 2003 and 2004 Super Bowls.

10 receptions for 143 yards in 2003.
11 receptions for 133 yards in 2004.
Loss to Denver in 2005: 8 receptions for 153 yards.

I don't understand the Welker over Troy Brown decisions. Troy Brown was not only clutch as **** he was Brady's first binkie. :D

TB to TB.

This team has never gone wrong with TB's. Bruschi, Brown and Brady.

Troy Brown makes my roster as a defensive back :D

QB: Tom Brady (Bledsoe)
RB: Corey Dillon, Dion Lewis (Faulk, White, Ridley, Woodhead)
FB: Patrick Pass (Develin)
WR: Randy Moss, Deion Branch, Julian Edelman, Troy Brown (Amendola, Givens)
TE: Rob Gronkowski (Bennett, Hernandez)
OL: Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Shaq Mason, Sebastian Vollmer (Solder, Woody)
DL: Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ted Washington, Trey Flowers (C.Jones, Warren)
LB: Willie McGinest, Dont'a Hightower, Tedy Bruschi, Roman Phiefer (Colvin, Vrabel, Mayo)
S: Devin McCourty, Rodney Harrison (Milloy, Chung)
CB: Ty Law, Darrelle Revis (O.Smith, Gilmore, Samuel)

K: Stephen Gostkowski
P: Zoltan Mesko
LS: Joe Cardona
ST: Matt Slater (B.King)

I think that's 53.

Ridley is a name I definitely didn't expect to see on this here. What's your thinking in having Roman Pheifer in there over Vrabel and Mayo?

If the point is to have a roster that can GET TO the Super Bowl then you 100% want Welker. Amendola is a playoff wonder but a regular season ghost.

Generally a team of Super Bowl heroes won't be the best 19 game team.

Basically people are interpreting the question in different ways. I think my list ended up a mix of both.

My thought was to pick a roster of guys who will get you through 2 playoff games and the superbowl, agnostic to what era we're playing in or what potential opponents would be out there.

Jimmy G?? What's he done? All Time Super Bowl team? Has he even played in a Super Bowl? Dude has won, what, 7 games? Settle down, everyone. He's got a long way to go before he's on an all-time list of any kind.

QB: Tom. (Bledsoe, with a nod to Grogan)
RB: Dillon, Faulk on 3rd down. (Smith)
WRs: Edelman, Branch, Amendola, Moss
TE: Gronk (Coates)
OL: Light, Hannah, Mankins, Koppen, Vollmer (Neal)

DL: Seymour, Wilfork, Adams (Washington)
LB: McGinest, Bruschi, Tippett, Vrabel (Phifer)
CB: Law, Revis (Clayborn)
S: Milloy, Harrison (McCourty)

K: Vinatieri (Ghost)
P: Allen (Walter)

Returner: Troy Brown

Coaching Staff: BB, McDaniels, RAC, (Patricia, Weis)

How can you guys not put Hannah on the list? Best Ever.

Honorable Mentions:

Hightower, Butler, Ted Johnson, White and Craig James. That 1985 team could run the snot out of the ball.

Backup QB: Bledsoe baby!
RB: Dillon & Faulk
WR: Moss, Edelman, Branch, Givens (D-money)
TE: Gronk
OL: Solder, Mankins, Koppen, Mason, Light, Woody

DL: Seymour, Flowers, Wilfork, Ninkovich, (Warren)
LB: McGinest, Hightower, Bruschi, Vrable (Mayo)
CB: Law, Gilmore (Butler)
S: Harrison, McCourty, (Milloy/Harmon)

K: Vinitari

people taking welker of jules are crazy.

Both guys in their prime, i take Jules 100% of the time. Like he said "He made the catch"

Take Welker's best vs Edelman's best... Welker's catch rate is 10% higher than Edelman. If Patriots win Super Bowl 42, good chance Welker is the MVP. Welker gets dumped on because he missed one catch.

Head says Welker, heart says Edelman.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Interesting topic. Looks like a lot of folks have ignored Amendola.

Take Welker's best vs Edelman's best... Welker's catch rate is 10% higher than Edelman. If Patriots win Super Bowl 42, good chance Welker is the MVP. Welker gets dumped on because he missed one catch.

10% higher catch rate?

Jules has 100% more heart.

Branch was huge in 2003 and 2004 Super Bowls.

10 receptions for 143 yards in 2003.
11 receptions for 133 yards in 2004.
Loss to Denver in 2005: 8 receptions for 153 yards.
Everyone knows about 04,but that 03 statline flew under the radar for me. Yea, no way anyone should leave him off the list.

Welker was a great Patriot, and arguably the best WR in the current era when you consider his peak and years of service. It is a shame he never won a SB with us, much like Moss and Mankins.

Had the Tyree catch/O'Hara hold gone differently as you've stated Welker probably wins SB 42 MVP.

The SB 46 catch that wasn't probably should have been caught even if the TB throw was slightly off due to the NYG safety being positioned where he was.

Welker catch%
2007 77.2
2008 74.5
2009 75.9

Edelman's best is 69.5% in 2013.

all of which doesnt matter when you consider that welker doesn't have the same drive to win that jules does. As evidence by welker basically saying Edleman can be the return man. Welker doesnt want to compete as hard as edleman does. When people talk about having an x factor, they are talking about the difference between welker who is a gifted receiver, and edleman who works his ass off to be just as good.

10% higher catch rate?

Jules has 100% more heart.

Not this crap again.

Welker's target/catch ratio in the playoffs: 116/88 = 76%
Edelman's target/catch ratio in the playoffs: 140/89 = 64%

In the 2011 game, Welker had 7 catches on 8 targets. In fact, in all Super Bowls combined, Welker had 26 catches out ot 32 targets (81%). Edelman currently sits at 14 catches on 25 targets (56%).

Moss and Welker are the two best WRs Brady's played with. Edelman's third. There's no shame there, but let's stop with the idiotic false attacks against Welker.

all of which doesnt matter when you consider that welker doesn't have the same drive to win that jules does. As evidence by welker basically saying Edleman can be the return man. Welker doesnt want to compete as hard as edleman does. When people talk about having an x factor, they are talking about the difference between welker who is a gifted receiver, and edleman who works his ass off to be just as good.

I am a huge fan of both Welker and Edelman, and cannot agree with this narrative. It sucks for all of us that Welker didn't make the catch in SB 46 but to say he had less drive than Edelman is false and simply an excuse to hate on Welker for not being clutch like Edelman was in SBs 49/51.

What a steaming pile of **** you are slinging....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft