PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bobby Wagner

It's not possible for any fan to be as consistently miserable as you. This has to be a trolling account, and not a very good one.
I knew it would not be a popular opinion. But just trying to keep it real. THe pats have descended to the middle of the pack. BB is still the goat, but the rest of their coaching staff sucks after years of brain drain.
They have NO playmakers on either side of the ball......Foxboro is not a destination location for top tier free agents (unlike LA, Denver, Miami and perhaps Texas), the Stadium is not great.
They have middle of the road cap space and not an abundance of draft picks.

Still my favorite team by far and I will always root for them, but they are not going to be competitive for anything other than a wild card spot.

This is the reality. Hurling insults will not change anything. Its going to be several more years before they can compete again as a top tier team.
I am OK with that.

Sure but if you have a window you can manipulate the cap and go all in. This has nothing to do with Brady so it's weird you bringing him up.
To your point, I tried to differentiate my response to you and adding a general comment about the cap and it's management by separating them... In other words it wasn't directed at you

Be that as it may...

Dude, it's not weird... It's the conceit ofjust about every post made about cap manipulation..

Every post that levels criticism about the Patriots is ultimately about BB letting Brady walk... The butthurt is strong here over that

they are not going to be competitive for anything other than a wild card spot.

This is the reality.
What was your assessment of the state of the Bengals, before last year?

Improvement is possible, especially with a good & developing QB. We need to get him a Chase.

Id love to get him

Before i get into what he can bring on the field, this defense is going to need a leader. From this year, only Judon is going to command the army on the field. Bobby can replace that role, with HT and DMac on their way out

Now, on the field. I think having him solidify the middle is huge. HT and Van Noy worked a lot in the flanks and Bentley was more of a pure ILB for us and he is mediocre at best. Even 32 year old Wagner can be better

SIGN THE BEAST

They are still a mediocre team. No one is coming just because of BB. Best to acknowledge the truth. The brain drain has been real

Excellence is impossible without mediocrity.

Foxboro is not a destination location for top tier free agents
While I agree with the rest of your post, Bill landed Judon and Henry. The destination card is overrated. 99.9% of the time players will go to the team that pays them the most. Front office, coaches, players, location come after that.

I knew it would not be a popular opinion. But just trying to keep it real. THe pats have descended to the middle of the pack.

Yea, we have descended to middle of the pack status, and not because of a coaching brain drain, but because from 2014-2019, bb drafted more clowns than any circus in the world has in their employ!

Bb/caserio burned the single most important pipeline to talent and cap management for any team out there….the draft!

Bb got cute and tried to outsmart the experts with such classic overdrafts as Easley and Richards!

We have some serious building blocks in place now on the roster. But we need to augment them with more talented drafted players. If wolf can hit the jackpot again with 4 more contributing players in this draft, we will be well on our way back to the playoffs in 2022.

If bb gets the urge to draft another worthless defensive back in the 2nd round, someone in the room has to have the courage to slap bb upside the head and tell him to go walk the dog and let the experts select real players.

Yea, we have descended to middle of the pack status, and not because of a coaching brain drain, but because from 2014-2019, bb drafted more clowns than any circus in the world has in their employ!

We "descended" when the quality of quarterback play diminished. It is really that simple.

Bb/caserio burned the single most important pipeline to talent and cap management for any team out there….the draft!

Bb got cute and tried to outsmart the experts with such classic overdrafts as Easley and Richards!

We have some serious building blocks in place now on the roster. But we need to augment them with more talented drafted players. If wolf can hit the jackpot again with 4 more contributing players in this draft, we will be well on our way back to the playoffs in 2022.

If bb gets the urge to draft another worthless defensive back in the 2nd round, someone in the room has to have the courage to slap bb upside the head and tell him to go walk the dog and let the experts select real players.
Couldn't agree more he did well last year getting a QB and a DT plus others let's hope the up trend continues. Two or Three Good Drafts can set a Team up for years o come. There is talent in this Draft hope we hit on some.

Sign Wagner, ditch Bentley and go back to a 4-3. However, could Judon play End? He could be like Carrol's "Elephant" guy.

I look to see Bobby Wagner staying on the west coast where most of the teams have seen him at least once a year and can better judge whether this is a cap cutting or he's lost a step or two. If we are doing a LB reboot, I think I'd rather KVN return to being the old head out there than taking on the cap consequences of signing Bobby Wagner. LOVE the player but he's going to be too expensive for us.

We DO need to work some of those deals Miguel and others have talked about to free up some space and push our cap consequences to future years when the cap will grow. However now is now. We need to add a couple of mid range FA's to go along with our draft picks because that is the reality of our situation. We aren't going to pick up a $15MM WR, nor an $18MM+ CB or an impact DLman in FA. But we COULD find a $10-12MM CB and a $8MM WR that could improve the room.

I look to see Bobby Wagner staying on the west coast where most of the teams have seen him at least once a year and can better judge whether this is a cap cutting or he's lost a step or two. If we are doing a LB reboot, I think I'd rather KVN return to being the old head out there than taking on the cap consequences of signing Bobby Wagner. LOVE the player but he's going to be too expensive for us.

We DO need to work some of those deals Miguel and others have talked about to free up some space and push our cap consequences to future years when the cap will grow. However now is now. We need to add a couple of mid range FA's to go along with our draft picks because that is the reality of our situation. We aren't going to pick up a $15MM WR, nor an $18MM+ CB or an impact DLman in FA. But we COULD find a $10-12MM CB and a $8MM WR that could improve the room.
The restructures can come as needed (at least $20M). And, I don't think that we'll be paying more than$2M for a punter ($2M). A stroke of the pen (well 7 strokes) and $22M is available.

Judon
Henry
Mason
Bourne
Andrews
Mills

Bailey
=============
There is more available. with restructures or extensions to Wise, Guy, Smith, Agholor, and Wynn.

There are also possible cuts. However, cuts require replacement; so it is unlikely that this produces cap help.

I know Wagner is old, but he would still be more mobile and productive than HT & Collins for the next 2 years because he's more agile and versatile. And apparently a great leader.

I know Wagner is old, but he would still be more mobile and productive than HT & Collins for the next 2 years because he's more agile and versatile. And apparently a great leader.
I believe Wagner would have an upgrade over HT, but given the choice, I'd MUCH rather resign Trey Flowers that spend that money on Wagner

I knew it would not be a popular opinion. But just trying to keep it real. THe pats have descended to the middle of the pack. BB is still the goat, but the rest of their coaching staff sucks after years of brain drain.
They have NO playmakers on either side of the ball......Foxboro is not a destination location for top tier free agents (unlike LA, Denver, Miami and perhaps Texas), the Stadium is not great.

Still my favorite team by far and I will always root for them, but they are not going to be competitive for anything other than a wild card spot.

This is the reality. Hurling insults will not change anything. Its going to be several more years before they can compete again as a top tier team.
I am OK with that.
Reality is often poorly received around here. Several teams in the AFC are currently ahead of the Pats and reaching their level will not come quickly or easily. We all hope Mac can become a top 5 (?) QB in the league, but that is a ways off and the supporting cast on both sides of the ball needs a lot of work. The Pats will be competitive and hopefully sneak into the playoffs/make it interesting, which is more than the fan bases of several teams can hope for. Can't wait for the draft/workouts/training camp - even with tempered expectations it's easily still my favorite sport to watch and follow.

I am OK with that.
Did you write that in 2000?

Reality is often poorly received around here. Several teams in the AFC are currently ahead of the Pats and reaching their level will not come quickly or easily. We all hope Mac can become a top 5 (?) QB in the league, but that is a ways off and the supporting cast on both sides of the ball needs a lot of work. The Pats will be competitive and hopefully sneak into the playoffs/make it interesting, which is more than the fan bases of several teams can hope for. Can't wait for the draft/workouts/training camp - even with tempered expectations it's easily still my favorite sport to watch and follow.
No team had more than 2 more wins than the patriots last year while the patriots played a rookie qb and molded together a team with almost 50% turnover.
The patriots are moving up, not back.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back