PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS BoB officially back

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Is it me or does O'Briens melon look like its going to burst out of that picture. His head is like 10x the size of Brian's. Jesus

It's you. If you look closer, you can tell the O'Brien photo is more of a closeup shot. Plus, the three photos in the top row are larger than the four below it. Jesus isn't pictured.

He could change his stance if he wants to stay in football. It would not be surprising to hear that BB approached him about retiring and coaching over the last couple of years and Hoyer held out to be a player for the reasons you mention. Now that the team has a better backup in Zappe it is time to move on from Hoyer as a player.
Oh, I agree its time to cut Hoyer loose as a player. I'm just saying he's said he's not interested in coaching. I think he's on the ball enough to know that his playing days are over so if he's not interested in coaching then it kind of means he's not interested in staying in football. Could he change his mind? Sure.

Oh, I agree its time to cut Hoyer loose as a player. I'm just saying he's said he's not interested in coaching. I think he's on the ball enough to know that his playing days are over so if he's not interested in coaching then it kind of means he's not interested in staying in football. Could he change his mind? Sure.

Hoyer might offer valuable help installing O'Brien's system, he played under O'Brien both with the Pats and Houston.

Hoyer might offer valuable help installing O'Brien's system, he played under O'Brien both with the Pats and Houston.
True enough. If they want to keep him around as QB3 I think he'd go for it. He's been banking off the clipboard holder role for a while now. I just don't see him going the coaching route.

True enough. If they want to keep him around as QB3 I think he'd go for it. He's been banking off the clipboard holder role for a while now. I just don't see him going the coaching route.
IMO Hoyer doesn't want to coach if he can still collect a check as a player. He's going to milk that for all it's worth and I don't blame him. I think once their is no longer the player option...then he might listen to coaching opportunities.

Last edited:
IMO Hoyer doesn't watch to coach if he can still collect a check as a player. He's going to milk that for all it's worth and I don't blame him. I think once their is no longer the player option...then he might listen to coaching opportunities.
I'm not against it, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Hoyer has about $1.3 million of guaranteed money for 2023. He’s not retiring to coach for $150k a year and forego that guaranteed salary.
Not if Hoyer is cut Zappe has shown that he can run a NFL Offense *Patricia's Offense* oh crap‍♂️ maybe but I like his upside in this league. That said I would Draft another young QB with upside and kick fragile Hoyer to the curb.

He's said he doesn't want the workload vs paycheck profile of coaching.

why would Hoyer would accept to be an assistant and do more hours and be paid less than a player.

He could change his stance if he wants to stay in football. It would not be surprising to hear that BB approached him about retiring and coaching over the last couple of years and Hoyer held out to be a player for the reasons you mention. Now that the team has a better backup in Zappe it is time to move on from Hoyer as a player.

I agree with Stu... If Axel wants to continue his playing career, then if I were Bill I would tell him Good luck with that somewhere else; otherwise the QBC offer still stands...

EDIT: "Hoyer has about $1.3 million of guaranteed money for 2023. He’s not retiring to coach for $150k a year and forego that guaranteed salary."

Didn't know that... What idiot would guarantee Axel ANYTHING for 2023?!?

Working with Bill.. working for Bill.

Freudian slip?

Hoyer has about $1.3 million of guaranteed money for 2023. He’s not retiring to coach for $150k a year and forego that guaranteed salary.
I thought is was $1.4M, no matter.

Hoyer will be our #3 QB, call him an assistant coach if you wish. (probably the best paid assistant QB coach in the NFL.

I thought is was $1.4M, no matter.

Hoyer will be our #3 QB, call him an assistant coach if you wish. (probably the best paid assistant QB coach in the NFL.

Agreed. I think if that money is sunk anyway, he's as good as you can hope for out of a #3 QB. The vast majority of third stringers don't come in and play like Brock Purdy. If we're down to Hoyer at any point, we aren't likely to save the season with any other reasonably priced veteran or some kid we draft in the 7th round.

They can easily just cut him which still pays out his guaranteed salary in 2023 and allows him to still work with the team in another capacity. As far as I am aware there's not a rule against an un-retired player working as a consultant/assistant with a team, but someone please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm sure he still wants the cash but may be gun-shy about playing after the bad concussion he seemed to be dealing with last season. Just a hunch.

They can easily just cut him which still pays out his guaranteed salary in 2023 and allows him to still work with the team in another capacity.
I read somewhere his wife isn't about to let him take a cut in pay to work more hours as a coach. Or something like that. I dunno how accurate it was, hell it could have been a post here for all I remember.

I read somewhere his wife isn't about to let him take a cut in pay to work more hours as a coach. Or something like that. I dunno how accurate it was, hell it could have been a post here for all I remember.
I recall reading the same.

That has been his standard response to date. Whether that perspective will change when being a QB3 is not an option is the question on the table. Health notwithstanding, the news that he has a guaranteed contract next year basically rules him out as a coach for now.

That has been his standard response to date. Whether that perspective will change when being a QB3 is not an option is the question on the table. Health notwithstanding, the news that he has a guaranteed contract next year basically rules him out as a coach for now.
@Ross12 points out that he could be cut, draw his guaranteed salary, stay on as a coach doing the same traveling he would do as if he was on the roster. The only downside for him then would be the hours BB would expect him to put in. I still think he'd bow to the missus and decline the coaching gig but something to think about.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back