PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS BoB officially back

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
@Ross12 points out that he could be cut, draw his guaranteed salary, stay on as a coach doing the same traveling he would do as if he was on the roster. The only downside for him then would be the hours BB would expect him to put in. I still think he'd bow to the missus and decline the coaching gig but something to think about.
Sorry, I didn't mention it because I can't imagine him being cut from a money perspective. The only way I could see that happening is if they find a diamond in the rough that they would lose if not on the roster. That would actually be a nice outcome.

Last edited:
@Ross12 points out that he could be cut, draw his guaranteed salary, stay on as a coach doing the same traveling he would do as if he was on the roster. The only downside for him then would be the hours BB would expect him to put in. I still think he'd bow to the missus and decline the coaching gig but something to think about.
Think people read too much into that. It was basically Hoyer saying "My wife says I'd be a fool to work more for way less money as a coach if I could still be employed as a player." If employment as a player is no longer an option then coaching would be his only avenue for employment remaining. The fact that he was even discussing it leads me to believe that he has entertained the prospect of being on the coaching staff.

To my point, the team can pay him player-level cash for a year while being on the staff. I don't personally see him just retiring and not working in football at all anymore, and based on the wife comments above, I'm guessing if the choices change from "player money or coach money" to "coach money or no money", coach money won't be so bad anymore.

Sorry, I didn't mention is because I can't imagine him being cut from a money perspective. The only way I could see that happening is if they find a diamond in the rough that they would lose if not on the roster. That would actually be a nice outcome.
Don't think they need him as QB3 if he is willing to assist in a coaching capacity. Mac and Bailey are good enough. Frees up a roster spot and they also gain $300K in cap space. Not a ton but enough to pay most of a year's salary for one of this year's lower draft picks.

They can easily just cut him which still pays out his guaranteed salary in 2023 and allows him to still work with the team in another capacity. As far as I am aware there's not a rule against an un-retired player working as a consultant/assistant with a team, but someone please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm sure he still wants the cash but may be gun-shy about playing after the bad concussion he seemed to be dealing with last season. Just a hunch.
Let's be clear.

You want Hoyer to work for the team as a volunteer, for no money.

Think people read too much into that. It was basically Hoyer saying "My wife says I'd be a fool to work more for way less money as a coach if I could still be employed as a player." If employment as a player is no longer an option then coaching would be his only avenue for employment remaining. The fact that he was even discussing it leads me to believe that he has entertained the prospect of being on the coaching staff.

To my point, the team can pay him player-level cash for a year while being on the staff. I don't personally see him just retiring and not working in football at all anymore, and based on the wife comments above, I'm guessing if the choices change from "player money or coach money" to "coach money or no money", coach money won't be so bad anymore.
I take your point but I have to believe that Hoyer has a broader post-player pallette to select from than "coach money or no money". Lots of players go on to pretty solid careers outside of football.

Let's be clear.

You want Hoyer to work for the team as a volunteer, for no money.
No of course not. He'd still get a salary as a coach. But I am not clear if that's actually permitted if he's also getting his player salary concurrently.

I take your point but I have to believe that Hoyer has a broader post-player pallette to select from than "coach money or no money". Lots of players go on to pretty solid careers outside of football.
Yeah perhaps it is an over-simplification. I'm sure he could find some other career, he's a bright guy. I just think a career on the Patriots staff would be the most immediately lucrative for him, easy to adjust to, and could maybe lead to a good amount of cash down the road if he ever made it as far as an OC role.

Yeah perhaps it is an over-simplification. I'm sure he could find some other career, he's a bright guy. I just think a career on the Patriots staff would be the most immediately lucrative for him, easy to adjust to, and could maybe lead to a good amount of cash down the road if he ever made it as far as an OC role.
We'll have to wait for him to surface (at OTAs?) to get a read on his intentions.

then coaching would be his only avenue for employment remaining
That's a pretty biased statement isn't it?

He's got thousands of options, but it's because we're looking at it with our bias of a football fan, we project that on to him based on comments said to the media. I don't recall a lot (or maybe even any) statements from Hoyer saying he WANTED specifically to coach football as his post-playing career.

If the statement is "if wants to continue being employed by the NE Patriots then..." sure that tends to make more sense, but even then it's a bit presumptive that his only option in life after football is coaching.

Maybe he's been around TB so much that he believes that as a backup he can keep being a player for another 7-8 years instead of transitioning? Just keep being QB3 at league mins...maybe go up to Canada...

I take out of that quote that when he's done playing - he's done. Family first is going to be his focus with career instead of being the biggest time suck now the secondary concern.

I loved it in this video when O'Brien says, "We hate the Jets," and then when the play was successful against them, he says, "That's why they're the Jets and we're the Patriots".

1675019843651.png

nfl-superbowl.gif

Draft is a can't miss.
Pats will have 11 picks this year counting three compensatory picks. They have five selections in the top 150 - that's good. They also will have $34 million in cap space according to old friend Miguel Benzan who graduated from the riffraff here to make something of himself.

The big question is whether the offense can catch up to the top tier in the AFC, which is extremely good as we saw in the playoffs. There's no doubt it can, but it will take four or five special players to make that leap.

Pats will have 11 picks this year counting three compensatory picks. They have five selections in the top 150 - that's good. They also will have $34 million in cap space according to old friend Miguel Benzan who graduated from the riffraff here to make something of himself.

The big question is whether the offense can catch up to the top tier in the AFC, which is extremely good as we saw in the playoffs. There's no doubt it can, but it will take four or five special players to make that leap.
Agree, I don't think we're an OC away from being a contender.

# 1 must have is a QB.

What the Pats have starting now is no where in the ball park with the Big 4 - Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Lawrence. You can throw Tua and Jackson in at the bottom, but they will always be an injury liability. Especially Jackson because he thinks that he is a RB.

# 1 must have is a QB.

What the Pats have starting now is no where in the ball park with the Big 4 - Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Lawrence. You can throw Tua and Jackson in at the bottom, but they will always be an injury liability. Especially Jackson because he thinks that he is a RB.
Don't forget Herbert.

I'd like to see him in an area he has already shown an expertise in - the Scout Team. Make him the director, working closely with whomever has Ernie's old role and set up the scout team's work for the week. He's been praised for his work as the QB of that team, emulating the next opponent, so why not move him up the chain?

Kinds done with him.

Another Phil Rivers. All hat and no cowboy.
Lombardi was one of the worse OCs in the game. Herbert's #s were almost identical to Brady's. That says it all.

I'd like to see him in an area he has already shown an expertise in - the Scout Team. Make him the director, working closely with whomever has Ernie's old role and set up the scout team's work for the week. He's been praised for his work as the QB of that team, emulating the next opponent, so why not move him up the chain?
Only way I see Brady involved in a football team again is as an Owner. Anything else is beneath him. Maybe a GM-type. Honestly, he's the GOAT, why would he coach or scout or consult?

Only way I see Brady involved in a football team again is as an Owner. Anything else is beneath him. Maybe a GM-type. Honestly, he's the GOAT, why would he coach or scout or consult?
Oops ... I was bouncing between posts and work, and got Hoyer on the brain. Hoyer for Scout Team Director - old an confused today I guess.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back