PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills FA CB Stephon Gilmore signs 5-year deal w/New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do LIKE the signing but I am concerned about the effect it will have on Butler.

Actually makes sense, sadly. BB replaces Butler with Gilmore, trades Butler straight-up for Cooks.
Whoa.. am I doing blotter acid again?

Exactly. Let's wait before assuming anything.

I thought we'd spend that money on Butler. It's kind of shocking to see them sign Gilmore who gets torched by Brady twice a year.
A lot of CBs get torched by Brady.
I am sure Gilmore will look better going against Tryod Taylor.

I've never rated Gilmore. Think he's too emotional and misses a lot of tackles. That's just my uneducated eye test opinion though....

Can anyone that knows CBs well speak on Bouye vs. Gilmore?

We're paying Gilmore to be a shutdown CB. Bouye was last season. Hopefully Gilmore returns to his 2014-2015 form.

Bouye had 1 good year though in a contract year, Gilmore has much better talent but has been inconsistent at times.

This is pretty bizarre on quite a few levels. Paying top dollar for another team's free agents is highly unusual for the Pats. I'm glad they got (another) #1 CB with great size & speed, but I'm just worried about what it means for Butler, the other #1 CB waiting to get paid, already on the team, who played a major role in delivering 2 Super Bowls.

Gilmore: $14M/year, McCourty $9.5M/year ... Butler? You have to think he'd command at least $12M if extended, since I doubt he'd play on that RFA tender of $3.9.

I'd be surprised if all that money was allocated to the secondary.

Last edited:
14 million for a starting corner will be the new normal.
Not for 2 on one team.
And not for any corner. That's near the top of the market.

Butler better get paid next year man.

A lot of CBs get torched by Brady.
I am sure Gilmore will look better going against Tryod Taylor.

It's also easy to pick out a handful of plays a year and you can see any corner getting torched, happened to Butler in the Super Bowl.

Butler has earned his big pay day at this point.

This signing confuses me.

Having said that, Gilmore can ball.

Is it possible that when the Pats talked to Butler about an extension they found out he wanted to be the highest paid corner in the league or some other outlandish demand?

Edit - I hope they keep Butler and pay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back