PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills FA CB Stephon Gilmore signs 5-year deal w/New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a lot of money, but in comparison to what Logan Ryan got, its cheap.
If you said would you rather have "Ryan + 3 million" or "Gilmore" I'd take Gilmore.

Didnt really watch a whole lot of football outside of the Patriots the last few seasons. So i have a hard time evaluating Gilmore when all ive seen of him is 2 games a year either not standing out or getting torched by the Goat and McDaniels game plans.

What i do know is Belichick didnt pay out this kind of money for no reason, its evident he has some special attributes that other CBs arent born with and our coa h has seen enough to know. BB is a great teacher and I think Steve B and Matt P have a hell of a player to work with in the secondary.

Put Butler on the Bills with a different DC every year and put Gilmore on the Pats the last few years with Dmac behind him and BB and MP and Boyer as his coaches.

I bet the story would change a bit.

Didnt really watch a whole lot of football outside of the Patriots the last few seasons. So i have a hard time evaluating Gilmore when all ive seen of him is 2 games a year either not standing out or getting torched by the Goat and McDaniels game plans.

What i do know is Belichick didnt pay out this kind of money for no reason, its evident he has some special attributes that other CBs arent born with and our coa h has seen enough to know. BB is a great teacher and I think Steve B and Matt P have a hell of a player to work with in the secondary.

Gilmore's skill set is amazing and upside when he is on is through the roof

OK, it's official -- there's a recipe for what the Patriots value in a CB, and they're willing to move aggressively to get it. I posted this back when they traded for Eric Rowe:

Here's a list of all of the CBs drafted in the past decade who stand over 6 feet, weigh over 200 lbs, and still have elite quickness for coverage (shuttle < 4.10, cone < 6.90):

Patrick Peterson
Eric Rowe

That's it. Aqib Talib and Antonio Cromartie were the closest misses, with three of the four targets. It's just a really, really rare physical profile...one that comes ready made for playing aggressively.

It turns out I was wrong about the part in bold. Another player meets 3 of the 4 four targets:

Stephon Gilmore, 6' 1/2" 190, 3.94 shuttle, 6.61 cone

BB & co. have now made moves to acquire nearly every tall CB with elite quickness who has been on the market in the NFL in the past decade.

OK, it's official -- there's a recipe for what the Patriots value in a CB, and they're willing to move aggressively to get it. I posted this back when they traded for Eric Rowe:

It turns out I was wrong about the part in bold. Another player meets 3 of the 4 four targets:

BB & co. have now made moves to acquire nearly every tall CB with elite quickness who has been on the market in the NFL in the past decade.

In general, CBs over 6' have sucked. For the reason you gave: they lack quickness. So they're very limited in who they can cover=big slow wrs.

There just aint many who have the quickness to cover shifty quick explosive wrs like Antonio Brown, je11 etc.

So when one comes along, they're worth getting because they have the potential to cover anyone.

That being said, only Talib of those you mentioned is an elite cb. Cromartie has always been inconsistent,ditto Gilmore. Malcolm Butler is a far superior cb to both those guys.

But the key to both Gilmore and Rowe is the fact they're still young and developing. I don't like them as our 2 starting cbs. Ideally, we keep Malcolm to start opposite Gilmore with rowe#3. That's as good as any cb rotation in the NFL.

Only $40mil is guaranteed not $65mil.

Good stuff as always, PC. As I posted in the draft forum, there are actually several players in the draft this year who meet those requirements, and some should be available in the 2nd - 4th rounds. It's a crazy year for corner.

Examples?
Or are you too busy with your tongue up Bill's ass?

Ummmmmm.....a great example is our entire 2016 draft class. You slammed every last single pick and ridiculed Belichick in the process. How did that turn out for you?

I am hoping this mean's more press coverage.

I'm a little late to the party here, but wow, $40 million guaranteed for a guy "not as bad as you thought?"

It's hard to doubt the Pats these days, and I have very little feel for the player, but jeez louise that's a lot.

Gilmore had a rough stretch early in the season that tanked his stats, but he was good in the latter half of the season and was excellent in 2015. $40M is still a ton of guaranteed money either way - that's a surprising number that I'm going to be worried about until he has some proven success in our defense, but Gilmore has shown in the past that he can be a legit CB1.

Ryan also had a had a rough early stretch in the season and he just got a lot of money too. I share a lot of your hesitation re: this deal, but IMO Gilmore is a significant upgrade from Ryan, unlike Ryan could be a legit CB1 if Butler leaves, and given what the CB market currently looks like I think this deal will look pretty reasonable within a couple years. Gilmore is a top-tier athlete at least, which Ryan certainly isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore