PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills do NOT match Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
"This defense is trash - they'll never win a SB or do well vs the better QBs in this league."

^ That **** was 100x more hilarious. Good stuff. I'm sure you remember who said it.
The defense was trash and not where it should have been which is ultimately why things got shaken up in the locker room. Belichick agreed. You don't shake things up like that when the unit is performing. You're telling me you looked at that Seattle game or anything before it and thought it was the ****? That unit was night and day after the team adjusted to Collins getting shipped out. Meanwhile, calling Malcolm Butler a "bum on any other team" (when he wouldn't be... and please justify that by the way. What about the scheme makes Butler better here than anywhere else. And be specific) and a good "CB2" here (when he's a CB1 here) is about as brain dead as it gets. Reading a post that ****ty nearly gave me cancer.

Blount is trash and has now been upgraded. He's gone. Go cry elsewhere.

Every time I read a courageous internet post like this I wish I could meet the person who posted it. To make a statement like this about an individual who has played on multiple championship teams at the highest level of their chosen profession, and chosen to do so by arguably the greatest coach in the history of the sport, well, that individual poster must have accomplished some amazing things in his/her life to be in a position to say such things.

There are many posts that use words like "trash" to describe players that only a few weeks ago we were all cheering for. There must a lot of Nobel Laureates, Pulitzer winners, and MacArthur Genius Grant recipients on this board.

Wow, if what you say about 18 1 yard TD's isn't actually bullcrap, then he averaged 4.1 ypc in non-goalline situations. Not bad at all for a large bruising back.

You obviously missed a very good 2016 season.

Blount tends not to get it done in the playoffs/SB's but he was great value in 2016.

Blount averaged 3.9 yards per carry last season, down from 4.3 in 2015 and 4.7 in 2014. No question he was a serviceable workhorse last year, but you had to be blind not to see him declining/running out of steam as the season wore on. Too many 1- and 2-yard runs on first and second downs. I also question how much of his TD production -- while certainly an impressive stat -- was due to his ability alone. I think BB did the right thing letting him go now in favor of the new duo, which promises to be a more dynamic threat.

Blount averaged 3.9 yards per carry last season, down from 4.3 in 2015 and 4.7 in 2014. No question he was a serviceable workhorse last year, but you had to be blind not to see him declining/running out of steam as the season wore on. Too many 1- and 2-yard runs on first down. I also question how much of his TD production -- while certainly an impressive stat -- was due to his ability alone. I think BB did the right thing letting him go now in favor of the new duo, which promises to be a more dynamic threat.
As do I. I think that Gillislee will be an improvement... especially when the season goes on. But when I see posts calling Blount trash and Butler a "bum on any other team", I have to question the intelligence of the poster making such claims. I mean, we're venturing into Max Kellerman levels of mental ******ation here. That's REALLY stupid.

The defense was trash and not where it should have been which is ultimately why things got shaken up in the locker room. Belichick agreed. You don't shake things up like that when the unit is performing. You're telling me you looked at that Seattle game or anything before it and thought it was the ****? That unit was night and day after the team adjusted to Collins getting shipped out. Meanwhile, calling Malcolm Butler a "bum on any other team" (when he wouldn't be... and please justify that by the way. What about the scheme makes Butler better here than anywhere else. And be specific) and a good "CB2" here (when he's a CB1 here) is about as brain dead as it gets. Reading a post that ****ty nearly gave me cancer.

Anyone with a brain knew the defense, as a whole, was fine. Meanwhile, what was truly brain dead, was people literally losing their **** after 1 or 2 games, or worse, after 1 or 2 plays during a game in the game day thread. Then referring to the much more intelligent posters as "homers, " even though those posters ended up being 100% correct.

Let's also recall you losing your **** the day after the AFCCG, when you claimed the Pats could never stop the Falcons offense, because the unathletic LBs would be constantly exposed in coverage. Hopefully you continue to predict complete failure next season - it would guarantee success.

Butler is much better used in NE than he would be elsewhere. Here, he's not usually covering the #1 WR. That assignment was usually given to Ryan, with help over the top, while Butler was on the # 2 WR. No doubt that a team like the Saints would have put him on the opposing #1 the majority of the time on an island. He would fail miserably in that role. Also, playing for the GOAT coach has other benefits. Take the SB49 INT, for example. The first time Butler saw that play in practice, he was abused and humiliated. If the first time he had seen that play would have been in SB49, that play never gets made. Luckily, the most brilliant coach in the game had him go over that same play in practice numerous times, until it became second nature.

He's not a CB1 here. The guy who was just paid more than any CB in franchise history is. That should be obvious to anyone - even to someone who is wrong as often as you are.

Let's also recall you losing your **** the day after the AFCCG, when you claimed the Pats could never stop the Falcons offense, because the unathletic LBs would be constantly exposed in coverage. Hopefully you continue to predict complete failure next season - it would guarantee success.

Feel free to provide the posts generating sheer panic. You won't find any. What I DID specify was a match-up that could hurt the Pats in space. And exactly what I said could happen DID happen earlier in the game as their backs were breaking off nice gains. Luckily for us, the combination of the Pats constantly scheming against it with safety help combined with Shanahan not targeting those backs in pass coverage happened and it was a moot point. You may feel free to continue believing that the 2016 LBs were pure athletes and speed demons if you wish, you. I'll be here in reality.

Butler is much better used in NE than he would be elsewhere.

No ****. You don't say. So Butler being coached by the greatest DC in NFL history is actually a thing? Of course he's actually going to be used better here than most other places in the NFL.

Here, he's not usually covering the #1 WR. That assignment was usually given to Ryan, with help over the top, while Butler was on the # 2 WR.

This is some weaksauce. The Patriots switch things around like they did when Revis was here. This is essentially the equivalent to saying Browner was a better CB than Revis in 2014 because Browner was often matched up against WR1's with safety help. Only a complete moron would like that argument which is no doubt why you do. The CB1 is, however, the guy the Pats like to put on the opposing team's top receiver late in the game and, from 2015 on, that was usually Butler. I don't think I need to remind you of his coverage on Antonio Brown in the AFCCG or Julio early on.

He's not a CB1 here. The guy who was just paid more than any CB in franchise history is. That should be obvious to anyone - even to someone who is wrong as often as you are.

Now you're moving the goal posts. You claimed that he's been a CB2 here previously and now you're claiming that he IS a CB2 here now. That's pretty much a sure fire sign that you know your argument sucks. Sure, he is a CB2 now. He'll be up there with the best in the game a that role because he's a top notch CB1 in the game and has been since 2015. You essentially provided zero back-up for why he's better here than in other systems outside of the fact that the Pats did something with him that they did with Revis while Revis was still playing like he was in his prime. Hell, and you may not have been watching the team back then, but that goes back to Law too. The Patriots consistently flip their corners based on situation.

I want an answer for why you feel that way schematically. How do the Pats scheme him differently in Cover-1, 2, 3, and other man and zone looks to hide his deficiencies as a CB2 playing as a CB1 on the outside? Break down some X's and O's real quick and back up your stance because, as of right now, you're looking pretty ridiculous. I guess it's just another day at the office though.

Last edited:
Blount averaged 3.9 yards per carry last season, down from 4.3 in 2015 and 4.7 in 2014. No question he was a serviceable workhorse last year, but you had to be blind not to see him declining/running out of steam as the season wore on. Too many 1- and 2-yard runs on first and second downs. I also question how much of his TD production -- while certainly an impressive stat -- was due to his ability alone. I think BB did the right thing letting him go now in favor of the new duo, which promises to be a more dynamic threat.

We shouldn't forget Blount was never quite the same last year after his extended bout of illness late last season. Not sure how long it was, I think 3 weeks? Came back around week 14? Come to think about it, no one is even sure what it was.

edit: Undisclosed illness, did not practice during the 2 weeks prior to the AFC Div.

Last edited:
We shouldn't forget Blount was never quite the same last year after his extended bout of illness late last season. Not sure how long it was, I think 3 weeks? Came back around week 14? Come to think about it, no one is even sure what it was.
I don't remember that. Whatever it was it didn't cause him to miss any games.

Feel free to provide the posts generating sheer panic. You won't find any. What I DID specify was a match-up that could hurt the Pats in space. And exactly what I said could happen DID happen earlier in the game as their backs were breaking off nice gains. Luckily for us, the combination of the Pats constantly scheming against it with safety help combined with Shanahan not targeting those backs in pass coverage happened and it was a moot point. You may feel free to continue believing that the 2016 LBs were pure athletes and speed demons if you wish, you. I'll be here in reality.

No ****. You don't say. So Butler being coached by the greatest DC in NFL history is actually a thing? Of course he's actually going to be used better here than most other places in the NFL.

This is some weaksauce. The Patriots switch things around like they did when Revis was here. This is essentially the equivalent to saying Browner was a better CB than Revis in 2014 because Browner was often matched up against WR1's with safety help. Only a complete moron would like that argument which is no doubt why you do. The CB1 is, however, the guy the Pats like to put on the opposing team's top receiver late in the game and, from 2015 on, that was usually Butler. I don't think I need to remind you of his coverage on Antonio Brown in the AFCCG or Julio early on.

Now you're moving the goal posts. You claimed that he's been a CB2 here previously and now you're claiming that he IS a CB2 here now. That's pretty much a sure fire sign that you know your argument sucks. Sure, he is a CB2 now. He'll be up there with the best in the game a that role because he's a top notch CB1 in the game and has been since 2015. You essentially provided zero back-up for why he's better here than in other systems outside of the fact that the Pats did something with him that they did with Revis while Revis was still playing like he was in his prime. Hell, and you may not have been watching the team back then, but that goes back to Law too. The Patriots consistently flip their corners based on situation.

I want an answer for why you feel that way schematically. How do the Pats scheme him differently in Cover-1, 2, 3, and other man and zone looks to hide his deficiencies as a CB2 playing as a CB1 on the outside? Break down some X's and O's real quick and back up your stance because, as of right now, you're looking pretty ridiculous. I guess it's just another day at the office though.

Yikes. Based on your second sentence, you seem to be some sort of molestation victim who is projecting. I didn't know that I would trigger such a delicate flower with banter.

You lost your **** because when someone told you Bill would scheme against it, you literally responded with, "it doesn't really matter what he comes up with when there's such a lack of talent and athleticism at the position." It was f#cking hilarious, and you were showing signs of possessing a vagina.

Your claim that my statement is akin to saying that Browner was better is absurd and makes no sense. It would be the same if I said that Ryan was better than Butler, but I didn't. Also, Revis wasn't in his prime that year. He was good, and definitely better than Browner, but in no way was he in his prime.

No **** the Patriots have done it for many years. That doesn't take away from the fact that it hides Butler's weaknesses. He's often too small or not fast enough to be on the other team's top WR without help. Leaving him on an island against the WR1 consistently would result in trouble. Against Brown in the AFCCG, he had help. NE had 2, sometimes 3, guys on Brown. He's not a guy who can be used as a traditional #1 corner, and doing so consistently, as would be likely if he were to play for any other team and a lesser coach, would expose his lack of size and speed. We both know this, as we've seen big and/or speedy receivers burn him here on occasion when he was tasked with covering them without safety help.

I never said Butler has been the CB2. You literally just made that up. That or you can't read. I said he'll be an excellent CB2 here, implying he'll be one from here on out. And he will. Gilmore at CB1 and Butler at CB2 will be a very good duo.

Watching a Gillislee highlights package just now, he reminds me so much of Fred Taylor it's almost uncanny.

Trash? ....did someone mention trash?....well, my ex wife always screamed at me take out the trash! take out the trash! ..I always replied "You cooked it...YOU take it out!".... I hope she chokes on a friggin' stale onion bagel....:mad:

........ poster on poster crime.

popcorn-yes.gif

They are loaded period, especially on offense. OL can be bolstered but the skill positions are sick and deep. As units go they are stacked at QB, TE, WR, and RB. Going into the draft their only real need is DE/LB Edge rusher role.
OL depth might be a more critical need than the edge rusher, which is also adding depth over existing roster talent.

I don't know how anyone can begin to disrespect 18TDs. As if it happens all the time.

In other news, this signing closes the book on the AJ Derby trade:

Denver receives: TE AJ Derby (from NE)
New England receives: RB Mike Gilleslee (from BUF)
Buffalo receives: 2017 5th Round #163 (from Denver)

I feel pretty good about the value of that transaction.

I don't remember that. Whatever it was it didn't cause him to miss any games.

My bad. No games missed. After Week 16. Out of practice during the 2 weeks before AFC Div.

Now Am I the only one reading his name Gilleslie or Gillespie?
in my head i keep hearing "Mike Gillyweed". hopefully he helps the patriots win Triwizard Tournament LII.

All that, and you never mentioned Kony Ealy!

First string is pretty good on both sides of the ball. Biggest depth needs seem to be lines, both ways.

Agree, but c'mon, Ivan, pretty loaded on defense too.
Best secondary in the league. 2 of the top 7 cbs, both proven #1's, plus Rowe, an excellent #3. Dmac and Chung arguably best safety tandem but then you add Harmon, who right now is better than most of the starting free safeties in the league and you're 6 deep with starter quality in all 6. So whether you go big nickel,nickel,whatever,you got it covered.
Malcolm and Gilmore both can go one on one with most of the top wrs in the league. Yes,most of the top wrs in the league aren't that tall. Julio is an exception. Brown is 5'10", no one covers him better than Butler. Beckham's only 6'. For the taller guys we got Rowe and Gilmore. Chung can handle tes. This group compensates for any shortcomings with the passrush.
Ah, the passrush. Not as bad as a lotta casual fans make it out to be. Flowers is an emerging star. They need another guy to go with him. But their interior passrushers is very good. Hightower's one of the best interior rushers in the league, flowers can do it well, brown has done a little.
The DTS are very good and deep.
Lbs- High speaks for himself- Roberts fills a niche and of course,chung plays a lot at that s)lb hybrid teams are going to.
This was one of the best defenses in the NFL last year- I'd argue they're better on paper right now- Gilmore offsets losing Sheard,long and ryan- plus the young dudes- Butler,Harmon,flowers,brown,Valentine should be even better with experience.
Add one edge-rusher,probably thru draft, that's all they need. But even w/o, this is a top 3 defense to go with probably the #1 offense and always superb special teams. Let's go!

Watching a Gillislee highlights package just now, he reminds me so much of Fred Taylor it's almost uncanny.

Let's hope he doesn't repeat Fred Taylor in a Pats uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back