PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills do NOT match Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
rodney definitely contributed more but did he play for the vet minimum all those years?
It was very team-friendly in relation to his contribution (6 yr(s) / $14,955,000): Rodney Harrison

On a side note, wasn't Blount also getting paid by the Steelers while he played for the Patriots in 2014-2015?

IDK if this was posted here or not but here is a video and I want to point out a few things.

At 0:40 you see a very nice run. He does a fantastic side step to change his momentum then accelerates forward with power. When you see it live you don't always appreciate how rare that kind of side step is. Most NFL backs can't do it.

At 1:05 vs the our Pats he does something else interesting. Finds a small whole but is then hit and wraps 5 yards short of the first. He uses the little balance he has left and pushes with his legs to get 3-4 more yards. This shows how much power he has and how he can turn his speed into power. It will take a big LB to stop him cold 1v1.

At 3:10 vs SF we see a very clear view of his acceleration. The last 35 yards and the TD on this play is routine. It is the first 10 you need to focus on. We talk about 40 times a lot but we know that doesn't always mean "football fast". Here you see his speed and ability to suddenly get up to it on full display. He showed 3 speeds here and was able to nearly instantly go from one to the other. I looked at it over and over again. I am pretty sure getting from his general running speed to full sprint happened inside of 4 yards and seemed like a 1/3rd a second. That is a hell of an acceleration.

Overall I really liked what I saw but if i were to criticize something it would be he doesn't move well laterally with speed. However very few backs move particularly well laterally.

Well, I feel kinda bad about Blount, who did all we could ask and more. I hope he gets a big fat contract somewhere. Gillislee could be a great addition to a pretty strong-looking rb squad. If Lewis comes all the way back, his future could be pretty interesting as well. I have a feeling - well, a hope, I guess, really - that Burkhead could really surprize us on the upside.

Overall, what an off-season! Sure, we have squat for draft picks, but ol' BB always uses those for dull-but-important, sometimes frustratingly-weird stuff anyway, so we'll be spared wondering why we really need that 4th safety nobody ever heard of, or some DL with knees made of nothing but scar tissue, or some WR with terminal brain lock, deeply conflicted over the prospect of actually catching the f----g ball from time to time.

Blount is "trash" is an un-serious statement. Fits right in with the silly, phony sports media themes the sports MSM like to churn out.
One can argue LGB was overrated, lost a step, better options available etc etc, but let no one argue LGB is "trash". LGB had some good seasons and especially good chunks of some seasons with a knack for consistency to punch it in the endzobe -- all done at a manageable cost. And he appeared to be a good teammate who did what was asked of him (an underrated value).

"Trash"? GMAFB....

The Buffalo News is reporting that Cyrus Kouandjio was running around naked again,when arrested he kept repeating First Chris Hogan and now Mike Gillislee..

Yikes. Based on your second sentence, you seem to be some sort of molestation victim who is projecting. I didn't know that I would trigger such a delicate flower with banter.

This is rich considering it's coming from someone who has been living with hurt, little feelings for months about a passing comment some guy made on a message board. Now you're rehashing them like some scorned woman coming back into the fold after her husband beat her (which I guess is the equivalent of what's going on here). I'm going to go ahead and take a wild guess that this is all coming from the inferiority complex comment I made a couple of weeks ago. Hit close to home, huh?

You lost your **** because when someone told you Bill would scheme against it, you literally responded with, "it doesn't really matter what he comes up with when there's such a lack of talent and athleticism at the position." It was f#cking hilarious, and you were showing signs of possessing a vagina.

Oh cool. Go find the post and link it so we can all see it. This exact one where I said that it didn't matter what Belichick did. I'll wait.

fda9368105bbf82698206eb1ea981e0d.jpg

Skeleton.jpg

Your claim that my statement is akin to saying that Browner was better is absurd and makes no sense. It would be the same if I said that Ryan was better than Butler, but I didn't. Also, Revis wasn't in his prime that year. He was good, and definitely better than Browner, but in no way was he in his prime.

I asked you to justify why you thought Butler is a CB2 and your response was to cite something the Pats have done since Belichick has been the head coach and did with Revis. Using this outstanding logic, Sherman is also not a CB1 because he doesn't trail the WR1 through huge chunks of the game, either. Try again. And try harder because honestly this is one of the easiest ass whippings I've ever delivered.

No **** the Patriots have done it for many years. That doesn't take away from the fact that it hides Butler's weaknesses. He's often too small or not fast enough to be on the other team's top WR without help. Leaving him on an island against the WR1 consistently would result in trouble. Against Brown in the AFCCG, he had help. NE had 2, sometimes 3, guys on Brown. He's not a guy who can be used as a traditional #1 corner, and doing so consistently, as would be likely if he were to play for any other team and a lesser coach, would expose his lack of size and speed. We both know this, as we've seen big and/or speedy receivers burn him here on occasion when he was tasked with covering them without safety help.

WR1's that Butler has been tasked with covering since 2015:

Antonio Brown x3
Allen Robinson
T.Y. Hilton
Brandon Marshall
Jarvis Landry
OBJ
D. Thomas/E. Sanders
Hopkins
Larry Fitzgerald
A.J. Green

He shadowed these guys sometimes with a safety shading over the top and sometimes in a Cover-1 look where there was no safety help. Saying that he had it is weak as hell, too, since even the best corners in the league get safety help. Since Revis has been used as an example, even in his absolute prime with the Jets in 2009-2011, he was given consistent safety help up top against some of the best wideouts in the game. But that's not what I asked either. I asked you to be formation specific. To be honest, I didn't expect an answer on that one since I don't think you'd recognize different formations that the typical NFL defense uses if you fell over it.

I never said Butler has been the CB2. You literally just made that up. That or you can't read. I said he'll be an excellent CB2 here, implying he'll be one from here on out. And he will. Gilmore at CB1 and Butler at CB2 will be a very good duo.

You honestly can't put together the logic that if he's an excellent CB2 here then he's CB2 regardless? You realize calling him a CB2 now only because Gilmore, one of the few corners in the league that's better than Butler, is here now pretty much defeats whatever point you're trying to make that Butler isn't a CB1 going forward, correct? Because, in that case, Butler will be a CB1 on just about every other team including this one (as he has) had it not been for Gilmore. Finally, the Patriots must not agree with you since they're obviously not going to trade a guy that's been a pain in the ass in negotiations and isn't showing up for the offseason program for anything less than a first. Yeah... they definitely feel that he's a CB2 as well. That's the ticket.

Yikes. Based on your second sentence, you seem to be some sort of molestation victim who is projecting. I didn't know that I would trigger such a delicate flower with banter.

Don't forget your lunch bag this morning

Short-School-Bus-128268.jpg

Blount averaged 3.9 yards per carry last season, down from 4.3 in 2015 and 4.7 in 2014. No question he was a serviceable workhorse last year, but you had to be blind not to see him declining/running out of steam as the season wore on. Too many 1- and 2-yard runs on first and second downs. I also question how much of his TD production -- while certainly an impressive stat -- was due to his ability alone. I think BB did the right thing letting him go now in favor of the new duo, which promises to be a more dynamic threat.

I'm not disagreeing with the move. He did wear down as the year went along. No arguments there.

What I was arguing against was FourierSeries' contention that Blount was garbage. For $1.5 million or so, Blount was a STEAL last year getting 1,189 yards and 18 TDs .

I don't care if the 18 TDs were 1 yard specials (and they all weren't) - - the Pats just gave Develin about the same to do far less (how many 1 yard TDs did HE get last year - that's his specialty, no?) and no one calls him garbage.

I, and the Minutemen, will miss LeGarette.

Blount deserves some respect. I'm ok with the decision to replace him, but he did well here. No reason to kick the guy in the ass on the way out. Curious why FourierSeries would want to.

To Kontra and Fourier - - this is a thread about Gillislee and Blount and the RB's.

It has nothing to do with the CB situation.

I'm calling Homeland Security ( or @Ross12 ) if you hijack this thread any further.

To Kontra and Fourier - - this is a thread about Gillislee and Blount and the RB's.

It has nothing to do with the CB situation.

I'm calling Homeland Security ( or @Ross12 ) if you hijack this thread any further.

Fair enough. I made my point. No need to **** on the poor guy any further.

We can all agree that sb51 could have easily been a loss. And if we had loss, you could place 75% of the blame on Blount. Hell, Asante and Welker are STILL hated by some.

As Blount himself put it on the sidelines, even though his fumble was 'one play' it did seem to open the floodgates. It would be odd pinning a loss to a second quarter play in a 0-0 game, but yes, I know how people's minds work.

I'm a happy endings kind of guy and prefer to focus on how today Gillislee's life is changing dramatically.

He's an original Miami 5th round draft choice in 2013 and gets 6 rushing chances in 2 years.

He got cut in Miami, gets cut from AZ practice squad and ends on Buffalo's practice squad always wondering if he will ever get a chance a chance to prove what he could do and get a chance to earn life changing money.

This morning he's emptying out his locker, shaking hands and getting props from teammates for escaping Buffalo and securing a healthy paycheck.

Dont get the hate for LGB 18tds is nothing to sneeze at, a glimpse at history below:

Pretty good company, I wish him the best.

1 LaDainian Tomlinson+ (27) 28 2006 SDG
2 Shaun Alexander (28) 27 2005 SEA
Priest Holmes (29) 27 2003 KAN
4 Emmitt Smith+ (26) 25 1995 DAL
5 John Riggins+ (34) 24 1983 WAS
6 Terrell Davis+ (25) 21 1998 DEN
Priest Holmes (28) 21 2002 KAN
Terry Allen (28) 21 1996 WAS
Emmitt Smith+ (25) 21 1994 DAL
Joe Morris (24) 21 1985 NYG
11 Larry Johnson (25) 20 2005 KAN
12 Jim Taylor+ (26) 19 1962 GNB
Chuck Muncie (28) 19 1981 SDG
Earl Campbell+ (24) 19 1979 HOU
15 Emmitt Smith+ (23) 18 1992 DAL
Adrian Peterson (24) 18 2009 MIN
DeAngelo Williams (25) 18 2008 CAR
LaDainian Tomlinson+ (26) 18 2005 SDG
LeGarrette Blount (29) 18 2016 NWE
George Rogers (27) 18 1986 WAS
Marshall Faulk+ (27) 18 2000 STL
Eric ****erson+ (23) 18 1983 RAM
Spec Sanders (29) 18 1947 NYY

It takes a certain skill to score 1 YD rushing TDs. After all, the defense goes heavy and jams the line. With 18 TDs LG was definitely effective as a goalline back.

That's not to say that he was ONLY a goal line back as his 1100 yards rushing can attest.

I'm curious what kind of RB is Gillislee? I live in NC and don't see many Bills games. When they play New England they usually don't show it down here. Anyone have some thoughts on his football skill set?

This is rich considering it's coming from someone who has been living with hurt, little feelings for months about a passing comment some guy made on a message board. Now you're rehashing them like some scorned woman coming back into the fold after her husband beat her (which I guess is the equivalent of what's going on here). I'm going to go ahead and take a wild guess that this is all coming from the inferiority complex comment I made a couple of weeks ago. Hit close to home, huh?

Oh cool. Go find the post and link it so we can all see it. This exact one where I said that it didn't matter what Belichick did. I'll wait.

fda9368105bbf82698206eb1ea981e0d.jpg

Skeleton.jpg

I asked you to justify why you thought Butler is a CB2 and your response was to cite something the Pats have done since Belichick has been the head coach and did with Revis. Using this outstanding logic, Sherman is also not a CB1 because he doesn't trail the WR1 through huge chunks of the game, either. Try again. And try harder because honestly this is one of the easiest ass whippings I've ever delivered.

WR1's that Butler has been tasked with covering since 2015:

Antonio Brown x3
Allen Robinson
T.Y. Hilton
Brandon Marshall
Jarvis Landry
OBJ
D. Thomas/E. Sanders
Hopkins
Larry Fitzgerald
A.J. Green

He shadowed these guys sometimes with a safety shading over the top and sometimes in a Cover-1 look where there was no safety help. Saying that he had it is weak as hell, too, since even the best corners in the league get safety help. Since Revis has been used as an example, even in his absolute prime with the Jets in 2009-2011, he was given consistent safety help up top against some of the best wideouts in the game. But that's not what I asked either. I asked you to be formation specific. To be honest, I didn't expect an answer on that one since I don't think you'd recognize different formations that the typical NFL defense uses if you fell over it.

You honestly can't put together the logic that if he's an excellent CB2 here then he's CB2 regardless? You realize calling him a CB2 now only because Gilmore, one of the few corners in the league that's better than Butler, is here now pretty much defeats whatever point you're trying to make that Butler isn't a CB1 going forward, correct? Because, in that case, Butler will be a CB1 on just about every other team including this one (as he has) had it not been for Gilmore. Finally, the Patriots must not agree with you since they're obviously not going to trade a guy that's been a pain in the ass in negotiations and isn't showing up for the offseason program for anything less than a first. Yeah... they definitely feel that he's a CB2 as well. That's the ticket.

No idea, what inferiority complex comment you're referring to, little guy. Your posts are usually "must skip" for me. The reason your comments about the Falcons stood out are obvious - you were so over the top and adamant that the NE defense would struggle. There's no reason to have hurt feelings about that. You're the one who ended up looking like an enormous idiot, since you were wrong as usual, while only hours after the AFCCG, I had already identified the weak spots on Atlanta's OL and said the Patriots should target Chester and Mack. This is, of course, exactly what the Patriots did, and exploiting those holes and creating pressure in key moments is what allowed them to win the game.

You should probably actually read what I wrote. I never said, or even implied, that Butler has never covered #1 WRs without help, nor did I say anything about CB1s never receiving safety help - indeed, I outlined the fact that he did, and that he was burned badly on several occasions, due to his lack of size and/or speed. I said that Bill's philosophy of matching up different CBs with different WRs has limited the ability of opposing offenses to exploit Butler's weaknesses.

Best part of your post is acting as if recognizing coverages is rocket science. It speaks volumes about your level of intelligence and education that you'd think it's the epitome of intellect. Even more hilarious is the fact that the Patriots played a considerable amount of Cover 2 this past season, with one of the top safeties in the entire league, and a generally strong safety unit as a whole, splitting the deep passing zones in half. In fact, some of their best performances of the season came when they were primarily in Cover 2, giving the corners plenty of safety help. The AFCCG that you brought up earlier was a perfect example. The Patriots were in Cover 2 for most of it, especially after Bell went down, and paying extra attention to Brown. Brown was often double, or even triple teamed, and especially as the Steelers got closer to the end zone. It certainly wasn't Butler out there covering Brown by himself as you absurdly tried to imply.

Regarding your last paragraph, you once again display incredibly atrocious reading comprehension. I never said he wouldn't be a CB1 on other teams. I actually said the exact opposite. My whole premise was based on the fact that he would be a CB1 on other teams, and that he would be used as a traditional CB1 - i.e. he'd be covering the #1 WRs without safety help more frequently, thus exposing his weaknesses, and resulting in him performing far more poorly than in NE, because he wouldn't be utilized correctly. Really not that difficult to comprehend - even for someone like you.

This conversation would have went a lot better had the ghetto school you attended prepared you better with regards to reading comprehension and critical thinking. I think you should be on a 1 year prove it deal. You need to go a full year without being entirely wrong about literally everything you post, as you were last season, before I can take anything you say seriously. This will go in effect at the start of the regular season. You've got plenty of time to practice until then, kiddo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft