PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
bill will go down as one of the most if not the greatest coach and GM of all time but he has made a few bonehead decisions over the years. Thankfully the good mostly outweighs the bad. Except the butler decision because that probably cost us the game.

1.trading Jamie Collins
2. Benching Malcom butler because of pride.
3. 4th and 2 vs Indy in 2009
4. Trading Richard Seymour
5. Trading Randy moss to the Vikings.
6. Trading jimmy G

Only #2 is even debatable and that’s because it’s very fresh and directly related to losing the SB game

The rest of that list is completely subjective garbage

Its like everyone in the ihatebill club was waiting for a moment to jump.

I disagree with benching Butler and prefer Brady, but the hate is too strong.

I don’t hate bill. I wouldn’t trade bill for any other coach in the league but I realize he’s not perfect, nobody is and has made some questionable decisions. If butler was out there maybe we stop them on 4th and 1 from midfield. Because the personnel on defense could not stop them at all. Bill said himself “let them try it and if we can’t stop it, it’s our problem.”

Only #2 is even debatable and that’s because it’s very fresh and directly related to losing the SB game

Nah, we’d have more depth on defense if he wouldn’t have traded Collins.

Nonsense

I don’t hate bill. I wouldn’t trade bill for any other coach in the league but I realize he’s not perfect, nobody is and has made some questionable decisions. If butler was out there maybe we stop them on 4th and 1 from midfield. Because the personnel on defense could not stop them at all. Bill said himself “let them try it and if we can’t stop it, it’s our problem.”
I agree nobody is perfect and despised the Butler call myself, but your list as Gronk said is pretty subjective. Not all points, but a few.

They're all opinions in the end, as any such analysis would be, but they're all supportable. I don't agree with several of them, but they aren't "garbage" just because you and I might not buy into the notion that they were mistakes. Hell, the O.P. missed the opportunity to put several other questionable high profile moves on his list.

bill will go down as one of the most if not the greatest coach and GM of all time but he has made a few bonehead decisions over the years. Thankfully the good mostly outweighs the bad. Except the butler decision because that probably cost us the game.

1.trading Jamie Collins

How much have we missed Jamie? Hightower and Van Noy seem like better fits. We need someone to replace Roberts but that's not Collins. And we couldn't have resigned the guy anyways.

Do you similarly call going for it on 4th down a bunch of times by Philly to be boneheaded? Because the results shouldn't matter if you're criticizing the choice to go for it.

He was a scumbag who stepped on another player's face. I didn't miss him at all.

Randy wanted out because he wasn't going to get the big money he wanted. Even Randy has said paving the way for his departure was something he regrets.

6. Trading jimmy G

Couldn't have kept him and Brady next year.

He's made plenty of bad draft picks, but most of the stuff you list above is hardly objectively boneheaded.

They're all opinions in the end, as any such analysis would be, but they're all supportable. I don't agree with several of them, but they aren't "garbage" just because you and I might not buy into the notion that they were mistakes. Hell, the O.P. missed the opportunity to put several other questionable high profile moves on his list.
Ok, that’s fair, each of those is defensible if treated as an individual act in a vacuum, but without the context of the salary cap and other factors surrounding the individual situations it is no more than an arbitrary list of hindsight “faults” that would never have been posted if we won Sunday, and as such....kinda just garbage.

4th & 2? Yeah the 2009 team woulda won the Super Bowl if we punted there, lol. I’m mad about Malcolm, and if I need to be I can still be mad about some of the late season 2015 stuff that may have cost us home field against Denver. If I get mad enough about it maybe I can convince myself they never should have hired him at all. Then I wouldn’t have to be disappointed in anything he did.

Ok, that’s fair, each of those is defensible if treated as an individual act in a vacuum, but without the context of the salary cap and other factors surrounding the individual situations it is no more than an arbitrary list of hindsight “faults” that would never have been posted if we won Sunday, and as such....kinda just garbage.

4th & 2? Yeah the 2009 team woulda won the Super Bowl if we punted there, lol. I’m mad about Malcolm, and if I need to be I can still be mad about some of the late season 2015 stuff that may have cost us home field against Denver. If I get mad enough about it maybe I can convince myself they never should have hired him at all. Then I wouldn’t have to be disappointed in anything he did.

That SB loss was a tough one, because it never should have happened. The Eagles weren't the better team, and even a halfway decent defensive performance results in a double digit win for the Patriots. Most people understand that in their bones, so the loss really grinds on the Patriots fans among them.

As a result, pissed off people, on both sides of the issues on the board right now, are going overboard in their positions. Right now, the homers would defend Belichick even if he came out and said something like "I completely blew it. I overthought things, and I pulled Malcolm when I never should have done that. It was stupid, and I have to do better". And those currently blowing up at BB would say that such an apology didn't go far enough, because they're trying to wrap their heads around such a needless and bizarre defeat.

The McDaniels u-turn back to the Pats probably means he got the word about Bill's retirement plans,be it this year or the near future. I never wanted to see BB go but that backstabbing move he made in the Super Bowl cannot be forgiven. I'm looking forward to a refreshing new start with a strong defense and a pass rush, so bye Bill, thanks for the memories.You could have won another one.
One more thing, I will have to get rid of my "leave Bill Bellichick alone" avatar and signature. This is like a divorce.

Last edited:
How much have we missed Jamie? Hightower and Van Noy seem like better fits. We need someone to replace Roberts but that's not Collins. And we couldn't have resigned the guy anyways.

Do you similarly call going for it on 4th down a bunch of times by Philly to be boneheaded? Because the results shouldn't matter if you're criticizing the choice to go for it.

He was a scumbag who stepped on another player's face. I didn't miss him at all.

Randy wanted out because he wasn't going to get the big money he wanted. Even Randy has said paving the way for his departure was something he regrets.

Couldn't have kept him and Brady next year.

He's made plenty of bad draft picks, but most of the stuff you list above is hardly objectively boneheaded.

Trading Seymour turned out to be a good move since his best years were behind him. But the first half of his career he was a top 3 DT and a big part of our first 3 titles in the 2000s

Trading Seymour turned out to be a good move since his best years were behind him. But the first half of his career he was a top 3 DT and a big part of our first 3 titles in the 2000s
Trading Seymour without any type of acceptable replacement who could act as 75% of the player at DE was (in my opinion) a huge mistake, and we paid dearly for that for awhile, but we also received a first round draft pick for a player who was basically at the end of his career and wasn’t likely to be re-signed due to contract demands, so I don’t have as much issue with that as some do.

Collins was a freelancer who wasn’t going to be retained. That one was easy.

The 4th and 2 call wasn’t as bad as it looked due to our defense being so gassed, and Faulk may actually have picked it up with a more reasonable spot anyway, so it’s hard to nitpick that one for me.

Moss basically ran his mouth and forced his way out of town, plus Brady was locking in on him and throwing picks, anyway. Spreading the ball out more paid off to the tune of a 14-2 record that year, and we began to utilize the 2 TE sets. We also took MIN for a high round draft pick (3rd) and got three years of Moss + a better pick than we gave up (4th). I don’t know why that’s even on the list.

Trading Mankins saw early season challenges that resulted in a SB victory at the end of the year, so that’s another controversial move that seemed to pay off in the end.

The only one that pisses me off was allowing JG to walk, but it’s also a possibility that they may have signed him to a 3-4 year high priced deal (that never would’ve realistically happened) only to watch him continue to ride the bench for most of it, getting very little value, if any, in return. I can’t realky blame that on Belichick, but moreso bad timing.

1.trading Jamie Collins
2. Benching Malcom butler because of pride.
6. Trading jimmy G

What vomit.

mXRwivz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back