PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is very profound. I mean it. As to the last part, I've often thought BB unnecesarily digs himself a hole but is very good at getting out of it (Enter Brady).
Deus’ comments are spot on, as they often are, and you also make an excellent point about Brady masking some of the obvious weaknesses over the years.

Unfortunately, the latest miss by Belichick (no matter the reasoning or whether or not it was 100% on him) came at a very poor time due to it being such a big game. Luckily, he’s been a very big part of winning 5 previous championships, so I believe that he should get the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure he feels pretty badly about it, knowing what a competitor he is, and how much he puts into his job.

Deus’ comments are spot on, as they often are, and you also make an excellent point about Brady masking some of the obvious weaknesses over the years.

Unfortunately, the latest miss by Belichick (no matter the reasoning or whether or not it was 100% on him) came at a very poor time due to it being such a big game. Luckily, he’s been a very big part of winning 5 previous championships, so I believe that he should get the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure he feels pretty badly about it, knowing what a competitor he is, and how much he puts into his job.

I understand your point of view which I would share if this was a 4th and 2 type controversy but Bellichick watched our team get slaughtered on defense the whole game while his starting corner stood next to him willing and able to play. Until proven otherwise, this seems to me a F U situation to three thorns in his side.

The McDaniels dramatic u-turn hints that BB was planning an exit and made it known after the Super Bowl. Why? The reports might have been true that Kraft and Brady forced his hand with Jimmy G. BB might have been deeply hurt or insulted over that.
He might see them as ingrates. He sees Butler as an ingrate also and found a way to hurt all three of them. "I'll get us to the Super Bowl and then pull the rug right out from them.Ill do it in a way that the message is clear."

That restaurant meeting with Kraft could have been over his departure and Kraft desperately convincing him or paying him a big bonus to stay on a bit and help train Josh.

I see it in Bills personality to strike out that way. Hell hath no fury like a Bellichick scorned. We witnessed that in 2007 with his FU tour running up the score and laying waste to the NFL in the wake of spygate.

As a fan, he committed the unpardonable sin. He threw away a Super Bowl win by deliberately not doing what is best for the team.

Last edited:
I understand your point of view which I would share if this was a 4th and 2 type controversy but Bellichick watched our team get slaughtered on defense the whole game while his starting corner stood next to him willing and able to play. Until proven otherwise, this seems to me a F U situation to three thorns in his side.

The McDaniels dramatic u-turn hints that BB was planning an exit and made it known after the Super Bowl. Why? The reports might have been true that Kraft and Brady forced his hand with Jimmy G. BB might have been deeply hurt or insulted over that.
He might see them as ingrates. He sees Butler as an ingrate also and found a way to hurt all three of them. That restaurant meeting with Kraft could have been over his departure and Kraft convincing him or paying him a big bonus to stay on a bit and help train Josh.

I see it in Bills personality to strike out that way. Hell hath no fury like a Bellichick scorned. We witnessed that in 2007 with his FU tour running up the score and laying waste to the NFL in the wake of spygate.

As a fan, he committed the unpardonable sin. He threw away a Super Bowl win by deliberately not doing what is best for the team.
I’m sensing some suggestion that you believe Bill Belichick somehow purposely made decisions to lose the game? Am I reading that correctly? That seems insane to me.

I think he simply believed that Butler wasn’t the best option for whatever reason, and that Gilmore/Rowe/Bademosi and the 4 safety scheme were better choices. He made the choice to sit Butler and he wasn’t going to change his mind. As we know, he’s stubborn and sticks to his guns. He was obviously wrong, although it should be noted that they may have been a late game defensive stop or offensive drive strip sack away from winning the game, still. He made a mistake. He made a poor decision. He gambled and lost, but I wouldn’t think for a split second that he didn’t have the best interests of the team in mind. That’s one very serious accusation, man. I’m surprised that would cross anyone’s mind. I think some are getting too caught up in some minor soap opera drama, with a boatload of speculation being thrown around.

Belichick is damn proud of those SB victories. You see him write all of those down when he signs his autographs? Bill wasn’t spiting anyone by putting the team in a losing situation on purpose. His choice just didn’t work out, that’s all.

I’m sensing some suggestion that you believe Bill Belichick somehow purposely made decisions to lose the game? Am I reading that correctly? That seems insane to me.

I think he simply believed that Butler wasn’t the best option for whatever reason, and that Rowe/Bademosi and the 4 safety scheme were better choices. He made the choice to sit Butler and he wasn’t going to change his mind. As we know, he’s stubborn and sticks to his guns. He was obviously wrong, although it should be noted that they may have been a late game defensive stop or offensive drive strip sack away from winning the game, still. He made a mistake. He made a poor decision. He gambled and lost, but I wouldn’t think for a split second that he didn’t have the best interests of the team in mind. That’s one very serious accusation, man.

That's how I feel. There is no amount of stubbornness in the world that explains not putting in Butler at all. They've always adjusted before. They yanked Arrington and put in Butler against the Seahawks. They adjust on the fly. Not this time.There were reports about all the drama going on behind the scenes and we doubted it but the way things are playing out seems to be confirming it. Up till now I have always been BBs biggest cheerleader despite his flaws. This to me was not a mistake.

Last edited:
That's how I feel. There is no amount of stubbornness in the world that explains not putting in Butler at all. There were reports about all the drama going on behind the scenes and we doubted it but the way things are playing out seems to be confirming it. Up till now I have always been BBs biggest cheerleader despite his flaws. This to me was not a mistake.
I just couldn’t imagine any possible scenario where Belichick puts the team in a losing position, let alone when he has a chance to re-write history on the line in the season’s biggest game with all the world watching.

Just from a selfish POV alone (without any other factors like loyalty to his players/coaches), that wouldn’t make any sense. We’ve had plenty of discussions here this year about Butler’s struggles and inconsistencies. I’m not sure why so many suddenly are acting like he benched Ty Law in his prime? Sure, one can make a strong argument that Butler would’ve been better than Rowe or the 4 safety scheme, but we saw him use it before in the opener vs KC, so it’s certainly possible that he felt that Gilmore/Rowe could get it done, and was worried about some of the hesitation and miscommunication that Butler displayed the last time they used that scheme against the RPO offense.

Any way you look at it, I cannot imagine any situation where an ultimate competitor like Belichick would make decisions to lose a game on purpose. He would have to be certifiably insane.

bill will go down as one of the most if not the greatest coach and GM of all time but he has made a few bonehead decisions over the years. Thankfully the good mostly outweighs the bad. Except the butler decision because that probably cost us the game.

1.trading Jamie Collins
2. Benching Malcom butler because of pride.
3. 4th and 2 vs Indy in 2009
4. Trading Richard Seymour
5. Trading Randy moss to the Vikings.
6. Trading jimmy G

Brady has been carrying Bill since 2009

bill will go down as one of the most if not the greatest coach and GM of all time but he has made a few bonehead decisions over the years. Thankfully the good mostly outweighs the bad. Except the butler decision because that probably cost us the game.

1.trading Jamie Collins
2. Benching Malcom butler because of pride.
3. 4th and 2 vs Indy in 2009
4. Trading Richard Seymour
5. Trading Randy moss to the Vikings.
6. Trading jimmy G

I think that you are a bit off with these points.

1) They won the superbowl that year...and the defense got better after he was traded.
2) I don't think it was pride. I disagree with his decision, but I really don't know what was going on. Butler should have at least been thrown out there in the 3rd quarter to see what he had in the tank.
4) I disagreed with trading seymour then, and I really believe he could have made the difference in that Ravens playoff game. But, they did get Mayo for that pick, who was a solid player for the Patriots for a few years.
5) The Randy Moss trade was a no brainer, the guy was done.
6) He botched the Jimmy G thing. Should have trade him at the draft for a first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back