PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Questions For Me

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
#1 Where is Jonathan Jones?

#2 is whether Jack Jones will be suspended.

Check out the rival AFC East teams’ talent at DE.

Then check out our OTs.

Assuming Trent Brown stays healthy, RT is a potential cause for concern.

If TB goes down, then we’ll be held hostage by the lack of a LT. Calvin Anderson, what’s your timetable? Does Belichick even know?

Coincidentally, this division seems to be strong on DEs but weak on OTs. Patriots are not alone in that regard.

My impression is that Jonathan Jones has had a minor injury and they’ve just been protecting him. He’s important to their success, especially during the first few weeks of the season if Jack is suspended for some length of time or is otherwise unavailable due to his legal situation. He’s a seasoned vet so doesn’t really need the reps. He was their #1 corner last year. I can see the sense in giving him a rest and giving the reps to the young guys (Gonzalez, Marcus Jones, and especially Jack Jones).

The NFL is going to wait for Jack’s court case to be resolved before doing anything. If it goes to trial, then he’s almost definitely not getting suspended this season. If he pleads guilty, then it could come later this season or to start next season.

We also really have no idea what the NFL’s bar for a suspension is here. Do they let it go if he pleads down to a low enough charge, or does the severity of the original charges mean he’s getting suspended if he pleads guilty to anything at all? Will he be suspended even if he’s found not guilty? That could affect the strategy and also the timing.

Coincidentally, this division seems to be strong on DEs but weak on OTs. Patriots are not alone in that regard.
is anybody strong on OTs anywhere in the league?

The biggest question has got to be what kind of OL we are going to have. Will the presumed starters ever take the field and shape into a serviceable unit? If not, the offense will struggle mightily. The D that we think might be pretty good will be taxed beyond reason by having to play 60-70% of the snaps due to an O that can't produce 1st downs. If the D is off the field only long enough to gulp a little oxygen and then has to go back out because the O has gone 3 and out again then no matter what the D's talent level it will be a long, long season.

How long til Macs on IR if this o line doesn’t improve.
We have a huge task against Philly.
Week 1 could be ugly.

The NFL is going to wait for Jack’s court case to be resolved before doing anything. If it goes to trial, then he’s almost definitely not getting suspended this season. If he pleads guilty, then it could come later this season or to start next season.

We also really have no idea what the NFL’s bar for a suspension is here. Do they let it go if he pleads down to a low enough charge, or does the severity of the original charges mean he’s getting suspended if he pleads guilty to anything at all? Will he be suspended even if he’s found not guilty? That could affect the strategy and also the timing.

Frank Clark's suspension was 2 games for two counts of misdemeanor possession of an assault weapon in separate incidents in 2021. These were assault guns and there was two incidents.

I really like Jon Jones. More than most posters. I hope he’s out there in early September. I don’t know why Jack J was in so late this week, but will echo the possibility he’s facing a suspension and NE wanted to get him some work.

I’m a lot more worried about the OL.

Last edited:

Frank Clark's suspension was 2 games for two counts of misdemeanor possession of an assault weapon in separate incidents in 2021. These were assault guns and there was two incidents.
This is trying to get guns on a plane I don’t know if we can compare these infractions?

This is trying to get guns on a plane I don’t know if we can compare these infractions?

Not a direct comparison, but Frank had submachine guns and two separate infractions, so in some ways Frank Clark's situation was worse. Clark was able to plead to a misdemeanor and maybe Ja Jones' DA will not be so lenient?

Don’t expect anything close to consistency from this commissioner.

Here's another question.

Who in the XFL and USFL have played any offensive line position? Why aren't they in camp? Also that fat guy that hangs out in front of the 7-11. Get him a cup of coffee and a mouthpiece, it's go time.

Along with the O line questions.. I agree. Jack didn't look particularly great to me in coverage last few games.. now I know it's pre season and all. But for a starter he's giving up plays to guys who will be on teams PS or working at Dennys next week. Just my observations.. gonzo is a rookie and I have high hopes for him.. but I'd like for Jon Jones to be out there alongside him becuase he will make some rookie mistakes.

CB is very concerning regardless of a Jack Jones suspension. Hopefully they make a move for a veteran who can help on the outside. Bryant is a bottom of the roster talent who’s currently pegged as a contributor if Jack Jones is hurt, suspended or anyone else goes down and they have to shuffle players. Offenses will continue to eviscerate Bryant and he’ll be chasing jerseys all year like he did last season. Not a good look with the QBs in the AFCE especially.

Gonzalez will likely look like a rookie at times and make mistakes. Can’t expect him to duplicate Sauce Gardner’s year 1 (how many rookie CBs ever have been?) out there, but hopefully he can handle his own and adapt quickly.

All this coupled with losing the backstop in McCourty, that leaves a huge question mark in how the secondary will mesh with communication, leadership and play on the field.

CB is very concerning regardless of a Jack Jones suspension. Hopefully they make a move for a veteran who can help on the outside. Bryant is a bottom of the roster talent who’s currently pegged as a contributor if Jack Jones is hurt, suspended or anyone else goes down and they have to shuffle players. Offenses will continue to eviscerate Bryant and he’ll be chasing jerseys all year like he did last season. Not a good look with the QBs in the AFCE especially.

Gonzalez will likely look like a rookie at times and make mistakes. Can’t expect him to duplicate Sauce Gardner’s year 1 (how many rookie CBs ever have been?) out there, but hopefully he can handle his own and adapt quickly.

All this coupled with losing the backstop in McCourty, that leaves a huge question mark in how the secondary will mesh with communication, leadership and play on the field.
Great points! I agree with everything you've said. The draft bust at CB prior to 2022.. are the reason we don't necessarily have the depth that is needed at outside CB. Even with Jack's uncertainty on his availability.. he IMO didn't look particularly all that impressive in the pre season.. giving up plays to guys that will likely be on teams PS. That's not what you want from your starting CB. I like that gonzo has shown physicality, and playing the run. In BBs system is a must for a CB to play the run. Sauce in his game That's his weakness playing the run and being a sure tackler. However if gonzo can achieve even a marginal level of success in his rookie season That's huge for the team. Early on they will likely double team #1s and have gonzo take care of the 2nd Guy. But absolutely another vet in the league should be brung in at Outside Corner. The Wade experience was terrible, myles Bryant is ok in spurts ,but nothing more.

I'm thinking Jon Jones , Jack and gonzo are the starting CBs for now..

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back