PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Concerns going into this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
DE - We lost Ninkovich, Chris Long, and Jabaal Sheard. That's a lot of production, leadership, and experience to lose. All we added was Kony Ealy who is already in BB's doghouse. I know Hightower and McClellin can both take reps there, but neither are proven DE's in the NFL.

RB - We won 2 superbowls with Blount as our main RB. Last year he led the league in touchdowns. He's no longer here. Gillislee isn't a proven workhorse like Blount was, and certainly doesn't have the big game experience. I'm not saying it will be bad, but its a bit of a concern.

Other than that we're stacked. But DE is my main concern. Flowers can rush the passer but he was money on 3rd downs rushing from the inside also. I don't think we should be relying so much on just 1 pass rusher, and certainly can't expect much from the rookies.

DE - We lost Ninkovich, Chris Long, and Jabaal Sheard. That's a lot of production, leadership, and experience to lose. All we added was Kony Ealy who is already in BB's doghouse. I know Hightower and McClellin can both take reps there, but neither are proven DE's in the NFL.

RB - We won 2 superbowls with Blount as our main RB. Last year he led the league in touchdowns. He's no longer here. Gillislee isn't a proven workhorse like Blount was, and certainly doesn't have the big game experience. I'm not saying it will be bad, but its a bit of a concern.

Other than that we're stacked. But DE is my main concern. Flowers can rush the passer but he was money on 3rd downs rushing from the inside also. I don't think we should be relying so much on just 1 pass rusher, and certainly can't expect much from the rookies.

As I see it right now the addition of Gilmore has helped turn our secondary into one of the best in the league. We may also witness one of the deepest CB rosters we've seen in the BB era.

That means we may see some coverage sacks or pressures.

One name that keeps popping up during the training camp is Wise. So if all tales hold true I think our front 3 or 4 are solid.

Which leaves us with the concerns at LB. Hightower, Roberts, Van Noy, McClellon and maybe Langi will patrol the middle of the field. Not bad at all.

All in all as of right now I think we are looking at one of the best defenses in the NFL if not the best defense overall.

So I am not concerned. If you mix good pass rushing with elite coverage it usually equates to multiple turnovers or stops.

And by the way, that defense compliments a juggernaut offense. WTF??

As I see it right now the addition of Gilmore has helped turn our secondary into one of the best in the league. We may also witness one of the deepest CB rosters we've seen in the BB era.

That means we may see some coverage sacks or pressures.

One name that keeps popping up during the training camp is Wise. So if all tales hold true I think our front 3 or 4 are solid.

Which leaves us with the concerns at LB. Hightower, Roberts, Van Noy, McClellon and maybe Langi will patrol the middle of the field. Not bad at all.

All in all as of right now I think we are looking at one of the best defenses in the NFL if not the best defense overall.

So I am not concerned. If you mix good pass rushing with elite coverage it usually equates to multiple turnovers or stops.

And by the way, that defense compliments a juggernaut offense. WTF??

No love for Harris?

My biggest concern if overconfidence by the media and sports talk idiots which leads other teams to play at their best..

All the 19-0 talk is just talk, prepare and play KC then prepare and play Houston etc. etc.

Of course there are always injuries, however BB seems to have built a lot of depth into this team..

BB will try to keep them humble and focused...

While you can argue how much of an impact the new additions at DE will make, saying, "all we added is Kony" is misleading. Its not like they haven't drafted or signed potential replacement s. As you say High and Shea are potentials for the DE spot with Van Noy coming in now and then.

How do you know Kony is still in the doghouse?

In terms of additions, BB added..
Kony
Wise
Guy (3-4 DE, 4-3 DE-DT, inside rusher)
Rivers
Langi
Kidder

In terms of replacing LG, they upgraded the running game. Plain and simple.

DE - We lost Ninkovich, Chris Long, and Jabaal Sheard. That's a lot of production
I disagree. NE has lost a lot of bodies but not a lot production.
In the playoffs.....Long and Sheard combined for 3 tackles and 0.5 sacks in 3 games.
Ninkovich chipped in with 2 tackles and 1 sack.
At this stage in all their careers, three long-in-the-tooth rotational guys at best for teams with championship aspirations. Nink understood and stepped aside. Long opted for a more prominent role on an irrelevant team... though I highly doubt he was ever in NE's 2017 plans to begin with. Sheard cashed in with the Colts and history often shows BB knows the market and when to cut bait.

Long - meh, he was just OK. i did not see a must keep player in him.
Ninko - big loss. The Giants and Pats took DEs from Youngstown state. Very telling. Watch Rivers.
Sheard - in and out of the BB dog house. Replaceable.
Blount - Pats have switched gears with Burkhead and Gillislie. You dont pay Burkhead the highest contract since Fred Taylor to sit on the bench. The NE offense will be different.

D-line in general, but specifically DE (more depth at DT than starters). Word is Deatrich Wise is looking studish thus far (he has two sacks, including a strip sack in the scrimmage), but it way too early to tell if that would make him a solid starter in September. I heard Greg Bedard on the radio yesterday talking up this guy saying, he looks like the likely opening day starter and not because there is no one else but because he earned it.

I disagree. NE has lost a lot of bodies but not a lot production.
In the playoffs.....Long and Sheard combined for 3 tackles and 0.5 sacks in 3 games.
Ninkovich chipped in with 2 tackles and 1 sack.
At this stage in all their careers, three long-in-the-tooth rotational guys at best for teams with championship aspirations. Nink understood and stepped aside. Long opted for a more prominent role on an irrelevant team... though I highly doubt he was ever in NE's 2017 plans to begin with. Sheard cashed in with the Colts and history often shows BB knows the market and when to cut bait.

Agree, but stats don't always tell the entire story. I think Long was a handful for Atlanta all night and opened things up by doing his job. On Atlanta's last drive Long forced the defense to hold him. It was a blatant hold that was made because it saved a sack. Without that holding penalty the Patriots are not champions.

This is most balanced, talented and deepest team in the league with the best coach in the history of game. Coming off years of being dragged through the mud.

The only thing that truly worries me are injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes