PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Burkead is going to be very important this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Sometimes a player steps on the field and the whole dynamic of the game changes. The Patriots have a few skill players like this but one guy that has gone under appreciated is Rex Burkhead.

As odd as it may sound. I would argue Rex Burkhead is the new Dion Lewis (this is Dion Lewis ala 2015). That is kind of odd to say when Dion Lewis is still on the Patriots but I think you know what I mean.

While not as good as Lewis was that year he has been absolutely electric with Brady and has provided big sparks for the offense. When on the field he seems to just always win his match up whether it is running or pass catching.

Yes White is a better pass catcher and Lewis is a better RB but right now Burkhead is the better overall player on a per snap basis IMO. That is not to say I want his snap count up right now. By all means continue the rotation. Come playoff time though I think this team should really look to give him more snaps. Put in White if you know you want to pass and it is obvious. Put in Lewis/Gillislee if you know you want to run and it is obvious.

For any other situation I see no reason to have anyone but Burkhead out there.

Gillislee is the runner who's not much of a receiver
White is the receiver who's not much of a runner
Lewis is the runner/receiver who's not much of a blocker
Burkhead is the Swiss Army knife who does it all

I'm still looking for Burkhead to get more work out of the slot.

Last edited:
Every time I see Rex Burkhead I say that guy is awesome...but he has a knack for getting injured.

Color me excited about this guy. Good hands, seems to get what we're doing and makes a lot happen after the catch. It's a weird addition seeing how stacked our team is at RB but it's a lot easier for them to run Dion more if they don't have to worry about moderating reps where he's going to get hit because we have viable options for days.

The spin move and some other great stuff, I can't really think of a player he reminds me of. I'd like to see Rex and White out there together a lot more on passing downs.

I agree 100% he reminds me of little Danny Woodhead. If I get to be B.B. for a day, he and White are my go-to guys.

........Burkmeister

Dump Allen, Move Burkhead to TE, and open up a roster spot for a WR.

He looked so good at both running and catching. So quick, he reminded me of a certain animal... maybe it was a duck

giphy.gif

"I am amused... not."

B-Rex finally got to show a nice set of wiggling moves from his unique collection.
Tough as Jules, elusive as Houdini.
Can be a big factor down the road . hard to defend unconventional..

Highlight: Rex Burkhead uses NASTY spin move to pick up first down

He has a funny little head bob move he uses when he's juking. My son and I saw it a few times during the game and once while he was rushing through a pile of Chargers. My son created a Burkhead head bob + shoulder bump celebration move that we did after a Pats big play. :D

I agree 100% he reminds me of little Danny Woodhead. If I get to be B.B. for a day, he and White are my go-to guys.

Nowhere near Danny Woodhead, other than he is white.

Woodhead was more like Dion Lewis - - much greater lateral moves than Burkhead.

Burkhead has more size and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey