PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Blue NOW in Our Rear View Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxmallon

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I think |Sunday’s stupendous, history changing, victory helped to relieve the Sting of the two painful Super Bowl losses to the NY Giants. We had positioned ourselves to win them both, and they slipped away in the final seconds--one of them marring an undefeated 19-0 season.

No longer can they catch up to us--not that there was much of a chance. And no longer should we feel sort of broken by the memory of those defeats because now we know, after Sunday’s astounding come-from-behind win, that these impossible losses do happen, and that at times it’s our turn for the impossible win.

It's funny, I was going to make a thread about this. With the 5th ring, those losses don't hurt so much now. 42 will always be a killer because of the missed opportunity of the undefeated season, but overall, I think there is a lot of pride in having two extra AFC titles. My biggest gripes have always been that we lost to a quarterback who was not deserving as the guy who beat Tom Brady twice. That, and the Giants as a franchise do not deserve to have two titles; they've been average at best over the last ten years but happened to get hot twice, both of which times they also got a lot of luck along the way. I don't think their two titles are indicative of the caliber of their franchise and more about the randomness of outcomes that can happen in a watered down league.

I think |Sunday’s stupendous, history changing, victory helped to relieve the Sting of the two painful Super Bowl losses to the NY Giants. We had positioned ourselves to win them both, and they slipped away in the final seconds--one of them marring an undefeated 19-0 season.

No longer can they catch up to us--not that there was much of a chance. And no longer should we feel sort of broken by the memory of those defeats because now we know, after Sunday’s astounding come-from-behind win, that these impossible losses do happen, and that at times it’s our turn for the impossible win.

It does take the sting away a bit to finally FINALLY have the football bounce our way in this game after it didn't in either of those stealing them away from us.

However to me it only makes up for 2011. 2007 is a sting I will never forget. Only by either beating the Giants in a super bowl or going 19-0 (ideally both) will i get over that one. I want either revenge or redemption.

Each super bowl has been special but 6 is in position to be less so. The thing that would make that game very special and meaningful is if we go in 18-0 or we face the Giants. I desperately want one of those things to happen.

It's funny, I was going to make a thread about this. With the 5th ring, those losses don't hurt so much now. 42 will always be a killer because of the missed opportunity of the undefeated season, but overall, I think there is a lot of pride in having two extra AFC titles. My biggest gripes have always been that we lost to a quarterback who was not deserving as the guy who beat Tom Brady twice. That, and the Giants as a franchise do not deserve to have two titles; they've been average at best over the last ten years but happened to get hot twice, both of which times they also got a lot of luck along the way. I don't think their two titles are indicative of the caliber of their franchise and more about the randomness of outcomes that can happen in a watered down league.

Yes, I agree fully with your additions about Eli and the Giant team.

It does take the sting away a bit to finally FINALLY have the football bounce our way in this game after it didn't in either of those stealing them away from us.

However to me it only makes up for 2011. 2007 is a sting I will never forget. Only by either beating the Giants in a super bowl or going 19-0 (ideally both) will i get over that one. I want either revenge or redemption.

Each super bowl has been special but 6 is in position to be less so. The thing that would make that game very special and meaningful is if we go in 18-0 or we face the Giants. I desperately want one of those things to happen.

I know what you mean, and thought about saying it that way.

This thing?

1220548107_3419.jpg

Well, that's another Big Blue, and another way of getting stung, and another way of not being stung.

I want to win every one and winning one doesn't make up for past losses but I'm happy with 5-2 and 5 out of 16.

Nah, I won't ever get over that. That would have been 4 for Bruschi, one for Moss and Seau. I would have rather the Pats lost 2-3 games that year as long as they won the SB.

That SB washes away most of the pain for me.

2011 I stopped caring about that loss years ago. It was a miracle we were even in that game to begin with.

2007. Never. I never wanted something as much as I wanted that SB and to be so close and to lose it in the way they did was absolutely crushing. I'm not as mad about it as I used to be but its not something I will ever get over.

I am really glad we won this year. We finally had a healthy team going into superbowl and a good defense to complement the offense. I understand that we should never have fell behind 25 points but it would have sucked to have a good defense, good health heading into superbowl and lose.

The sting of 2007 will be diminished but always there.

Considering their body of work as Patriots, these great soldiers absolutely deserved to have their names engraved on the Lombardi.

Welker
Mankins
Moss

I have some Giants fans as friends and they give me grief about it every now and then, but less the past few years, as my comeback now is "That's cool, how many playoff games have your guys won in the past 5 years?"

I don't care who they beat. If they win a 6th Superbowl, it will be like a loud, piercing primal scream to the rest of the league after ripping their hearts out yet again.

2007 sucked, but to me, yep, this one finally puts it past the vanishing point of the rear view mirror. Sure it hurts when some obnoxious Gints fan acts all superior, but there's no way they can pretend their organization or QB is better than ours after this. To me SB49 was a bit of a fluky win, this one was all heart and all guts. IMHO it's our signature win, which is amazing to say with five to choose from. SB36 was a win of youth and brashness, this one is a win of heart and guts. SB36 showed where we were going. SB51 shows we are where we wanted to get to, and are still trucking!

I think one reason why the fire still burns within BB and TB12 is that they saw that even the unbelievably good 2007 team could come up short. I hope they still use it for motivation. As for me, it's now a very distant memory.

I have some Giants fans as friends and they give me grief about it every now and then, but less the past few years, as my comeback now is "That's cool, how many playoff games have your guys won in the past 5 years?"

I know about this. But from now on, they probably give neither you or me any grief.

I know about this. But from now on, they probably give neither you nor me any grief.

It's funny, I have a Giants buddy as well who used to act superior and would always post the Eli jokes and memes, but today he sent me a message on facebook asking if this super bowl win makes, Eli, Coughlin and the Giants wins more significant in history. None of the arrogance, brashness or condescension he used to show, it was actually like he was looking up to the Pats from down below and trying to validate his teams achievements. Humbled New York sports fans are the best New York sports fans :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down