PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 WR/PTP Thread

Bacon or FredFD... what's your impressions of WR Velus Jones I like his game he reminds me of Deebo Samuel thoughts?
Jones is one of the better blockers in his class. Explosive but like Josh Boyce or D Byrd doesn't know how to utilize his speed running routes. You need to throw him manufactured touches to get the ball in his hands. Once he has the ball hes a threat but he's a project.

Another guy worth mention is Dareke Young from Lenoir Rhyne. Another guy that is a great blocker. Explosive, should test very well at his pro day. He looks like a freak athlete but again we'll see how he test. He takes a lot of pride in his blocking though. Tasked with blocking DE's and bigger bodies regularly. He knows his role. He also spent some time as a RB rushing the ball almost 40 times I believe. Tough kid with a lot of potential as WR3, ST player with a little luck. He should really take to NFL training.

It sucks that that we don't have a McGinest, Seymour, Mankins, or Wilfork on the team that would straighten a kid out. Our locker oom enforcer is down to pep talks from Slater and DMac...sad.
They did such a great job with Willie Andrews and Aaron Hernandez.. :whistle::rolleyes: How'd the Tom Brady Locker-room do with Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon?

Though I think David Andrews has some issues in his game, there are ZERO issues with his leadership.

They did such a great job with Willie Andrews and Aaron Hernandez.. :whistle::rolleyes: How'd the Tom Brady Locker-room do with Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon?

Though I think David Andrews has some issues in his game, there are ZERO issues with his leadership.
Most of whom you've listed bought in and tried to adhere to the plan on the field. They didn't wreck a locker room or play their own game.
As for off field, I think TB did a decent job of taking AB under his wing and into his home. He was bounced from here for freaking tweets or FB posts to a plaintiff. No one is expected to go as far as TB did though, but for the most part it worked. BB has always let the players police themselves. Not so easy these days, but not impossible.

Most of whom you've listed bought in and tried to adhere to the plan on the field. They didn't wreck a locker room or play their own game.
As for off field, I think TB did a decent job of taking AB under his wing and into his home. He was bounced from here for freaking tweets or FB posts to a plaintiff. No one is expected to go as far as TB did though, but for the most part it worked. BB has always let the players police themselves. Not so easy these days, but not impossible.

The fact that you think there aren't players on the team who would "police the locker-room" says lots about what you do and don't know about this team.

I guarantee you that Slater, McCourty, Andrews and White (amongst others) have no issue policing the locker-room. You don't need to be 6'6 and 285 lbs to "police" anything.

The fact that you think there aren't players on the team who would "police the locker-room" says lots about what you do and don't know about this team.

I guarantee you that Slater, McCourty, Andrews and White (amongst others) have no issue policing the locker-room. You don't need to be 6'6 and 285 lbs to "police" anything.
Yeah.
Sometimes you need to have the ability put a guy against the wall. Sorry, but these aren't the mellow guys you see in United Way commercials.

Yeah.
Sometimes you need to have the ability put a guy against the wall. Sorry, but these aren't the mellow guys you see in United Way commercials.
This isn't the 70's or even the early 2000s, where you could get away with doing that. It's also not a HS locker room. You do something like that today, you're looking at Union Grievances and possibly Cop involvement or even civil suits.

The fact that you think that DMac, Slater, etc don't have the respect the other players speaks volumes about your understanding of Sports and the game of football.

BTW, I guarantee you that Andrews could do that if necessary.

I agree on Andrews and the respect the guys you named garner.
That does not mean that an undisciplined individual will fall right into line or accept hard direction unchallenged. You think a mouthy player won't tell a vet to eff off? You're dreaming.
Stick to the friggin issue instead of analyzing my knowledge of locker rooms or football in general. I don't need to submit a resume to make a point.
The fact that free-lancing is in the Patriots' GameDay breakdown gives a hint that someone isn't getting the message that has probably been delivered multiple times by a respected veteran. Sure, DMac could grab a guy by the facemask and give him an earful, but only if the guy is receptive. That someone would run to the NFLPA or FBI over physical contact is pretty funny.

I agree on Andrews and the respect the guys you named garner.
That does not mean that an undisciplined individual will fall right into line or accept hard direction unchallenged. You think a mouthy player won't tell a vet to eff off? You're dreaming.
Stick to the friggin issue instead of analyzing my knowledge of locker rooms or football in general. I don't need to submit a resume to make a point.
The fact that free-lancing is in the Patriots' GameDay breakdown gives a hint that someone isn't getting the message that has probably been delivered multiple times by a respected veteran. Sure, DMac could grab a guy by the facemask and give him an earful, but only if the guy is receptive. That someone would run to the NFLPA or FBI over physical contact is pretty funny.

The Free-Lancing mentioned in the Game Day thread BY ME, was in regards to Van Noy. The guy who was supposedly a "trusted veteran". And insisted on running his mouth even when the TEAM didn't play well.

Your lack of knowledge IS at issue since it has you spewing garbage and jumping all over the place with your ridiculous statements about locker-room discipline and your claim there is no one to administer it. It's not the first time you've hi-jacked a thread to go on some ridiculous tangent.

The fact that you're changing your f'in story shows you don't know WTF you are talking about. You've gone from someone "Throwing a guy up against a wall to saying "grabbing a guy by the face mask to give them an earful. Two totally different situations.

Take that s**t elsewhere. This thread is about WR prospect.

The Free-Lancing mentioned in the Game Day thread BY ME, was in regards to Van Noy. The guy who was supposedly a "trusted veteran". And insisted on running his mouth even when the TEAM didn't play well.

Your lack of knowledge IS at issue since it has you spewing garbage and jumping all over the place with your ridiculous statements about locker-room discipline and your claim there is no one to administer it. It's not the first time you've hi-jacked a thread to go on some ridiculous tangent.

The fact that you're changing your f'in story shows you don't know WTF you are talking about. You've gone from someone "Throwing a guy up against a wall to saying "grabbing a guy by the face mask to give them an earful. Two totally different situations.

Take that s**t elsewhere. This thread is about WR prospect.
I agree.
Let's get back to WRs...nothing more.

Jones is one of the better blockers in his class. Explosive but like Josh Boyce or D Byrd doesn't know how to utilize his speed running routes. You need to throw him manufactured touches to get the ball in his hands. Once he has the ball hes a threat but he's a project.

Another guy worth mention is Dareke Young from Lenoir Rhyne. Another guy that is a great blocker. Explosive, should test very well at his pro day. He looks like a freak athlete but again we'll see how he test. He takes a lot of pride in his blocking though. Tasked with blocking DE's and bigger bodies regularly. He knows his role. He also spent some time as a RB rushing the ball almost 40 times I believe. Tough kid with a lot of potential as WR3, ST player with a little luck. He should really take to NFL training.
Embarrassed to say I didn't know what the heck school Leanne Rimes was until I realized that's where Dugger went. Would be good to get that kind of inside info from a fellow alum.

We'll see DY...
------
The Spun: Speaking of route running, what’s your favorite route to run?

DY: I would say a post. It allows me to showcase my speed. I feel like I’m a 4.3 guy.

Embarrassed to say I didn't know what the heck school Leanne Rimes was until I realized that's where Dugger went. Would be good to get that kind of inside info from a fellow alum.

We'll see DY...
------
The Spun: Speaking of route running, what’s your favorite route to run?

DY: I would say a post. It allows me to showcase my speed. I feel like I’m a 4.3 guy.
I can see you haven't been typing it very much ;)

Yea I remember hearing about him when looking at Dugger. He looks like an athlete all rocked up.

I watched some highlights, but it was a bit like watching High School games. Sure he can block, but it is really hard to tell what he can do against real CBs. He has some potential, but I would not gamble a draft pick on him. UDFA?

I like Dotson a lot for us and we can land him day 2/3. Don't think he'll test well, doesn't have outstanding measurables.

Release is nice but lack of strength makes it tough to work outside next level. Does use his hands but could improve. Efficient steps and movements, patience and spacial awareness wins him a lot of reps. Combined with his size I think we'll likely see him in the slot next level.

Impressed with how he understands and operates in space. MOF/reading leverage, space on sidelines

Might be slot only next level but he can touch and threaten all parts of the field with play speed, r/r, awareness and hands. Not the greatest radius, smaller arms I think but he can make it happen when things aren't perfect.

Return man/natural yac

Has shown he can make big plays in different ways. 17+ per rec two years in a row. Stepped up when given the chance.

I've seen him run everything - flat, sidelines, MOF, deep. + Slant, Go, Out, Corner/Post but makes everything look good. Very comfortable running from slot.

Love his ability to sink, accelerate and take off. Not twitched up but good enough athleticism with clean movements.

Reliable hands when it's clean and making adjustments.

Isn't getting any bigger and probably not much stronger. Obviously strength can increase but you get the point, he is what he is from that standpoint. Again looks like slot only but can beat you deep.

Willing blocker but limited bc of size. Definitely has to get stronger.

Could add a little variety to release package.

Might be my favorite WR in this draft. But only because I'm not sure I believe fully in those 6'3 220+ guys this year. He plays a lot bigger than his size and weight suggest. And frankly with the new NFL rules. Speed and quickness can kill these days. smaller guys like Hill. Diontae Johnson and Diggs have a place in the NFL these days, and routinely play the majority of their games. While overall height and size does matter at that spot, being smaller and potentially less durable isn't punished like it use to be.

I see him a bit like a smaller Chris Godwin.

Though if i am being totally honest. I'd just rather the Pats draft Jameson Williams with their first pick and be done with it. If he somehow misses, so be it, at least they took their shot on the guy who SHOULD be the best overall WR in this class by the the most big name scouts.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by Danny Gray-SMU in the later rounds. Projected a late rounder but he may make it to UDFA.
I like his speed, hands, and route running. Sort of slight at 6'1" 180lbs. There is a lot to work with and I would rather see WR addressed at the end of the draft or FA.

I'm intrigued by Danny Gray-SMU in the later rounds. Projected a late rounder but he may make it to UDFA.
I like his speed, hands, and route running. Sort of slight at 6'1" 180lbs. There is a lot to work with and I would rather see WR addressed at the end of the draft or FA.
Do you have his Combine/Pro Day info?

A friend of mine who lives in Louisiana (but is a Steelers fan) is raving about Nicholls State WR Dai'Jean Dixon.

I've never heard of him, or Nicholls State, and can't find any tape worth a damn on him. Anyone here seen him?

Last edited:
A friend of mine who lives in Louisiana (but is a Steelers fan) is raving about Nicholls State WR Dai'Jean Dixon.

I've never heard of him, or Nicholls State, and can't find any tape worth a damn on him. Anyone here seen him?
Only watched a few games of him total. Looks pretty smooth more than fast. Seen him pull a few moves in short areas. Plucks the ball away from his frame. Seen him reel in a few ones that lead to big hits he knew was coming. Possible X if he tested well enough. Haven't seen any #'s on his testing.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back