PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 WR/PTP Thread

Dude is the opposite of slow, although based on vertical and 40 and 10 split, it might take him a pinch to get going. He supposedly ran 22.6mph during this run below. That's darn fast. I thought I had analyzed it meticulously a month ago and didn't think he got quite up there (maybe it was my CWatson goggles), but looking at it again, I was off. He def got up there at around the opponent's 40 - good high cadence (~285spm) with what looks like ~7' steps (which is exactly 22.67mph). Would love to get the official 10 and 20 splits for his Combine 40 to see how fast he was moving from 20-40. Note that McCourty has been the fastest ball carrier for the Pats in the last 6 years at 22.05mph.

He did have ACL surgery I think in HS, but looks like he's over that. Also, he got a foot injury during camp that he dealt with all season (source: Wholehogsports) and still ran this fast.

I agree those tests are not necessarily play speed , this can only be seen on tape , but according to sources he did not look good in position drills either which I haven’t seen so maybe someone else can specify this

Wow! impressive player played as a true freshman too the kid's talented and Clemson is a known NFL WR school.
I think he is the player with the injury concerns .....back/spine ?

Didn't know thanks.
He looks very good though and had a good season 2020 ? He had a congenital neck injury that required surgery and then a foot injury which also required surgery. Would need to get through his medicals etc but the potential is there

He looks very good though and had a good season 2020 ? He had a congenital neck injury that required surgery and then a foot injury which also required surgery. Would need to get through his medicals etc but the potential is there

That’s Ross biggest issue will be his medicals. In his last season he had a left foot injury and played through it. Guy is superbly talented though.

Yea this was a few years ago before getting beat up from work. Learned to appreciate the dynamics of running and how hard you have to work just to shave off a split second off it.
First off, thanks once again for all the time and effort with the draft. I don't watch college ball so it's very helpful.

When I was young there was nobody who could catch me. It wasn't even close.

Metcalf was the one guy i said in that years draft that would be worth a 1st with his size and speed. Pains me to see him when we compare to N'keal
It helps me not to dwell on Harry. Plus, we can say that 198 players were taken ahead of the GOAT. We're way ahead in the draft game just on that pick alone.

That’s Ross biggest issue will be his medicals. In his last season he had a left foot injury and played through it. Guy is superbly talented though.
IF he checks out well I would tempted in the late Third or Fourth if I was the Pats. That said WR looks very Deep this year something for everyone. I hope the Pats double dip wouldn't mind a couple guys growing with Mac for years.

Patriots need guys who can get open quickly. When the OL protection breaks down, Mac isn't the most elusive QB. So prioritize on guys who can get open off the snap and run great routes, speed is a bonus obviously.

However Patriots are historically one of the WORST teams in NFL in drafting WRs in the past 20 years, but who knows. Maybe their change in draft philosophy lately will yield different results or are we asking for the definition of Insanity? IE "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Agreed with this. I was surprised by Burks though, was expecting him in the 4.4s. Definitely plays faster in Pads, not sure if its a technical thing when it came to his 40 time. The Guy can flat out play though, just watch his tape and ignore the 40 time. That's what i plan to do with him.

I watched some highlights and Burks seems to have good straight line speed; however, I did not see a lot of elusiveness or shiftiness or change of direction. I would not touch him in the draft.

I also watched some Pickens highlights and wow, he is very shifty, quick, and elusive. However he takes some huge hits, and I have to wonder if he will survive the NFL. He has the potential to really frustrate DBs, or maybe really aggravate them, but that this is not a bad thing. He is going to stir things up. Might draw some taunting calls; DBs are gonna hate him. He seems highly-animated; is he a prima-donna? Most good WRs are, but he may be too much for BB.

Yeah, I can't help but think of Tavon Austin but I like Calvin better. He's not a one trick pony who'll have to completely overhaul his game in the NFL.

And as for Burks, N'Keal Harry ran a faster 40 time ;) :)

I love Calvin Austin III also. He is tiny but a jitterbug who is hard to cover. Also he has serious afterburners; he can really accelerate after the catch. He is good at the WR screen and if the defense is not careful, he is gone. Austin is tiny so he might fall into the third round or later, I hope. If the Patriots want to get faster, draft this guy.

I picture this guy as a trade-down type of pick. I could see the Patriots trading down from 21 for an extra 3'd or 4th and using it on Austin.

Did anyone see his punt return where he picked up a loose ball and ran it to the house while the defense stood around thinking the play was over; it was hilarious. Like a high school trick play; it would have been a dead ball in the NFL, alas. BB would not endorse this, but Austin got away with it.

Last edited:

Jared Bernhardt! Oh gawd, an obscure lacrosse player from East Podunk; how can BB resist? Is Ferris State where Ferris Bueller went to school? Pencil in Jared Bernhardt; he is a perfect BB player. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

If I was a devious GM in our division, I would make a lot of noise about how I much love Jared Bernhardt and try goad BB into wasting a draft pick on him.

Last edited:

I love Jameson Williams, but I am starting to have some doubts about how the Patriots handle injured players. Would they force Williams to play before he is 100% ready and risk a re-injury? In these cases you cannot trust the player to be truthful; they say they are ready long before they really are....especially now since this type of injury will effect his draft status.

Jameson is the type of guy you take if you have a lot of extra picks. The Patriots do not ...

Last edited:
IF he checks out well I would tempted in the late Third or Fourth if I was the Pats. That said WR looks very Deep this year something for everyone. I hope the Pats double dip wouldn't mind a couple guys growing with Mac for years.
He's projected as a late 2nd, early 3rd rounder right now

I love Jameson Williams, but I am starting to have some doubts about how the Patriots handle injured players. Would they force Williams to play before he is 100% ready and risk a re-injury? In these cases you cannot trust the player to be truthful; they say they are ready long before they really are....especially now since this type of injury will effect his draft status.

Jameson is the type of guy you take if you have a lot of extra picks. The Patriots do not ...
Based on History we know better and that's why I prefer others. The Position is too Deep to settle on a guy for down the road. That said I love Pickens - Burks - Bell and Watson. I think all of them will be players in this league. I think this Receiver Class is going to make History a lot of talented guys.

Last edited:

FredFD...Kevin Austin Notre Dame what do you think? For me personally he more than looks the part passes the eye-ball test and everything Big prospect who can run and catch. I think think the WR class is so good that the Patriots' could make a good the pick in the dark blind folded.:cool:

FredFD...Kevin Austin Notre Dame what do you think? For me personally he more than looks the part passes the eye-ball test and everything Big prospect who can run and catch. I think think the WR class is so good that the Patriots' could make a good the pick in the dark blind folded.:cool:
OK, I watched some highlights and, well, I am not really excited by this guy. He has great size but not too elusive after the catch. He has some open-field speed, but I saw too many plays where he was covered and had to make a great catch. Also I saw him push off a lot. I am perplexed by his 6.71 three-cone; I just do not see it on the field. Sorry; I would not draft this guy before round 6 or so.

He seems like the exact opposite of the other Austin, Calvin Austin III. I love Calvin Austin III....

Can't wait for Justyn Ross's Pro day workout.
I just watched some highlights of this guy, and I am impressed. Usually I don't like big guys since they are not quick and many cannot get open; however Ross has some skills. He has good change of direction and good speed. He also has hands like glue. The congenital neck issue is a huge concern. He could be a steal if he lasts until round 3, but he may go in the second.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back