PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 WR/PTP Thread

OK, I watched some highlights and, well, I am not really excited by this guy. He has great size but not too elusive after the catch. He has some open-field speed, but I saw too many plays where he was covered and had to make a great catch. Also I saw him push off a lot. I am perplexed by his 6.71 three-cone; I just do not see it on the field. Sorry; I would not draft this guy before round 6 or so.

He seems like the exact opposite of the other Austin, Calvin Austin III. I love Calvin Austin III....
He has good hands but seems very straight line-ish I didn't see any wiggle room in his game. He seems like a Mike Wallace nine route type.

If you believe the mediots, the patriots are doing a lot of work on veteran free agent receivers.

If true, does this mean that the patriots do not see any receivers in this draft that they feel can contribute as much as a veteran?

If you believe the mediots, the patriots are doing a lot of work on veteran free agent receivers.

If true, does this mean that the patriots do not see any receivers in this draft that they feel can contribute as much as a veteran?
I think many would feel happy with a guy or two on a Four year pack growing with Mac. That said they are some better vet WR's on the Market not named Robby Anderson. I would be very upset if he's our primary vet target at WR. Gotta admit I liked him some years back in FA... just not in this particular one.

I doubt it. I would be very, very surprised if the Patriots do not take 1 or 2 WRs. They have got to be looking, they simply must. I assume that they will take one scat-back like Calvin Austin III (yes, please) plus one bigger guy like Metchie (yes, please). Probably in round 2 or 3. I suspect that they will trade back in round 1 to pick up some extra picks to use on a WR....of course I could be totally wrong and predicting the Patriots moves on draft day is impossible.

FredFD...Kevin Austin Notre Dame what do you think? For me personally he more than looks the part passes the eye-ball test and everything Big prospect who can run and catch. I think think the WR class is so good that the Patriots' could make a good the pick in the dark blind folded.:cool:

Hey I just stumbled on this while watching Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner. Here Gardner shuts out Notre Dame's Kevin Austin. This is a bit unfair since Gardner is really special, but still I would not touch Austin (at least this Austin):

Last edited:
Bacon or FredFD... what's your impressions of WR Velus Jones I like his game he reminds me of Deebo Samuel thoughts?

Bacon or FredFD... what's your impressions of WR Velus Jones I like his game he reminds me of Deebo Samuel thoughts?

He has good, maybe great, acceleration on the fly, but not Jameson Williams acceleration. He seems to be able to get open and has some decent, not elite, moves in the open field. I am not convinced that he has an elite change of direction (and he did not run the 3-cone drill at the Combine which is a little suspicious). He appears to be strong for a WR. Not sure about how he does with contested catches since he was always wide open, at least in the highlights. He would make a nice addition for the Patriots, but not in round one. Round 3 or 4?

BTW, I liked the guy(s) throwing him the ball.

Last edited:
I think we can realistically leave the Bama guys sorry Mac. I don't think BB is going Draft any player in the First Two Rounds who can't play from day one. That said what's peoples take on Alec Pierce and George Pickens?? I love Pierce from observations he didn't play with a good qb seems like he's always waiting for the football. On Pickens I remember his Dad a very good player in this league. Pickens remind me of a faster more athletic Malcom Mitchell. The Patriots love Georgia players that's for sure.
Pickens is really good. I watched him run away from some CBs, and these were not schlub CBs, but SEC CBs. And you just know that the D was keying on him. The guy can fly and has amazing hands. He is also willing to sacrifice his body to make the catch.

On the downisde he seems like a showboat which may turn off BB. Remember, BB is always looking for the perfect Boy Scout which is hard to find among WRs. Are there off field issues for Pickens?

Round one or two for Pickens.

I like his effort and he's a threat with ball in hand.

However his footwork and route running are pretty bad. You could watch him rum the same route 10 times and it'll look and time different 10 times. Also, he'll be a 25 year old rookie, because he stayed in college to do a Masters.

Pickens is really good. I watched him run away from some CBs, and these were not schlub CBs, but SEC CBs. And you just know that the D was keying on him. The guy can fly and has amazing hands. He is also willing to sacrifice his body to make the catch.

On the downisde he seems like a showboat which may turn off BB. Remember, BB is always looking for the perfect Boy Scout which is hard to find among WRs. Are there off field issues for Pickens?

Round one or two for Pickens.

I don't think there are off field issues with Pickens, more on field issues, with red flags regarding maturity, ego and attitude. His own coach called him a selfish player who didn't care about the team as far as I recall. He's been suspended for team violations and for fighting.

I don't think there are off field issues with Pickens, more on field issues, with red flags regarding maturity, ego and attitude. His own coach called him a selfish player who didn't care about the team as far as I recall. He's been suspended for team violations and for fighting.
OK then I guess we can take Pickens off the list of potential WRs for the Patriots. I suspect that this will cause him to fall to round 2 or 3. Someone might get a bargain in round 3 if Pickens grows up. He sound like a Cowboys WR.

Oops, the Austin shutdown is at 2:19 or here:
I don't know where Gardner is in the mock drafts, but I would take him in the top 5; he appears to be that good. The guy is a freak.

@BaconGrundleCandy - did Christian Watson only line up in the slot? or does he have the ability to play the "X" as well?

OK then I guess we can take Pickens off the list of potential WRs for the Patriots. I suspect that this will cause him to fall to round 2 or 3. Someone might get a bargain in round 3 if Pickens grows up. He sound like a Cowboys WR.

He needs to be in a strong locker room. Baltimore might be a good destination in the second round.

He needs to be in a strong locker room. Baltimore might be a good destination in the second round.
He screams Raven, Falcon, Cowboy, Bengal (maybe old Bengals?) or even jete.

It's sad bc his skill set is exactly what we need but he's shown to be very immature. For years too, it's not like he's just had one or two incidents. There's a pattern. Hope he gets his head on straight bc he's quite the talent.

He screams Raven, Falcon, Cowboy, Bengal (maybe old Bengals?) or even jete.

It's sad bc his skill set is exactly what we need but he's shown to be very immature. For years too, it's not like he's just had one or two incidents. There's a pattern. Hope he gets his head on straight bc he's quite the talent.
It sucks that that we don't have a McGinest, Seymour, Mankins, or Wilfork on the team that would straighten a kid out. Our locker oom enforcer is down to pep talks from Slater and DMac...sad.

If Jameson Williams is still available at 21–heck, we may even have the luxury of moving down a couple of spots—how could we NOT pick him?

Anyone remember The Steamer, Stanley Morgan?

It sucks that that we don't have a McGinest, Seymour, Mankins, or Wilfork on the team that would straighten a kid out. Our locker oom enforcer is down to pep talks from Slater and DMac...sad.
I would think that Mayo could straighten out Pickens, but they are on opposite sides of the ball. He would be a great WR fo the Patriots if he could cool down a bit.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back