PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 WR/PTP Thread

I've been really irrationally hoping that we'd draft CWatson at #21 since I saw chief1's post over a month ago and went on serious overdrive on his analysis (speed wise), but after watching that, he might not even last that long.

Edit: he did have 2 noticeable drops (1 on a Fade and another on a slant), so that's still a question mark.

I know there's been an explosion of faster times in running/T&F due to revolutionary shoe tech, and I'm wondering if there's an effect trickling down to football, as there are a ton of really fast times tonight. It never even occurred to me until tonight, which is odd since I read about track pretty much every day, and that's what people have been talking about for the last few years.

Last edited:
I'm 6'3/200-205 used to be in really good shape and ran a 4.55 on my bestest day ever. 4.3 is absolutely flying!

I've been really irrationally hoping that we'd draft CWatson at #21 since I saw chief1's post over a month ago and went on serious overdrive on his analysis (speed wise), but after watching that, he might not even last that long.

I know there's been an explosion of faster times in running/T&F due to revolutionary shoe tech, and I'm wondering if there's an effect trickling down to football, as there are a ton of really fast times tonight. It never even occurred to me until tonight, which is odd since I read about track pretty much every day, and that's what people have been talking about for the last few years.
Most of these kids play "everything" in HS. Some have no parents and are staying busy. Other coaches are putting them in T&F for speed knowing they'll never excel there but the training, muscle memory is something you can't beat at that age. Parents push the "multi-sport" thing on them, again keeping them busy.

I think basketball and football extremely alike and I know a few coaches who believe the same bc of spacing, creating space, getting open, taking proper angles to defend, footwork, playing the man or playing the ball/QB. What do I know though?

The clock was juiced, the real numbers came out. Olave ran a 4.39, which is kinda what I expected. I thought he’d run a 4.4.

Treylon Burks testing worried me a bit. Was expecting him to run in the 4.4s. Looks a lot quicker on tape than he did in the combine.

Yeah, I came away last night very impressed with Watson. He is big (6'4) and runs like the wind.....I'm not sure if he is raw as a route runner as there might be more polished receivers (Olave) that we could take, but wow, he was really impressive....If we could grab a cb with our first pick, maybe Watson is someone to consider with our 2nd rounder.....

Thornton is an interesting case. Very similar size / speed combo to Williams, not to mention more consistent production (albeit never the hyper-productive, high-end season). Tiny hands, but it didn't stop him from pulling in 143 career catches. We don't have testing numbers for Williams, but I doubt he's likely to be any faster or more explosive.

1646409665601.png

1646409515924.png

Vs

1646409709817.png

1646409571740.png

Maybe a discounted way to add a deep threat? Interesting to see how similar their body types are, though Thornton is a little longer.

I've mentioned this before but the 40 is a pet peeve of mine. It's become a fake track meet and prospects are being hurt. I'll never forget Devin Funchess and others. Almost pounding their feet into the ground. It's just not natural for some. Burks wasn't that bad but his release good have been better on the 1st attempt and probably came out his peak too early. Anyway CeeDee Lamb ran a 4.51 30lbs lighter. AJ Brown ran a 4.50 or a tick under. Burks is a little slippery but takes a minute to get going. He ran by SEC defenders including Bama for years. 4.5 at 225 with bad technique in his run isn't bad at all. Would have loved to see him jump 35+ but oh well. Again he won more than his fair share at the catch point. Probably just make a 1st or right under for me.

Bolden has to be a Pat lol 4.6. Moore is very interesting.

Will Austin be the outlier? How many 5'7 WR are killing it in this league? Idk Idk
Yeah, I can't help but think of Tavon Austin but I like Calvin better. He's not a one trick pony who'll have to completely overhaul his game in the NFL.

And as for Burks, N'Keal Harry ran a faster 40 time ;) :)

Watson looks really explosive as well....very impressive athlete...do you think he goes in the 1st?

Yeah, I came away last night very impressed with Watson. He is big (6'4) and runs like the wind.....I'm not sure if he is raw as a route runner as there might be more polished receivers (Olave) that we could take, but wow, he was really impressive....If we could grab a cb with our first pick, maybe Watson is someone to consider with our 2nd rounder.....

Yeah I don't know about the 1st round, but Watson's definitely a Day 2 pick now for sure.

The weird thing is that Burks looks so fast on the field. Plenty of players with a 4.5 have done well. Look up times for Cooper Kupp, Antonio Brown, Devante Adams, Keenan Allen, etc. Harry's problem isn't his 40 time. It's mental, not physical. He's still a big, strong, fast dude. He just doesn't use his explosiveness to his benefit. He's technically faster than Bourne or Meyers, but they make him look lumbering, confused, and out of place.

I'm still bitter about it. I liked him a decent amount in that draft, although not as much as McLaurin and Metcalf. Too bad. :(

Yeah, I can't help but think of Tavon Austin but I like Calvin better. He's not a one trick pony who'll have to completely overhaul his game in the NFL.
Most small prospects don't translate no matter how dynamic or versatile they are.
Like @WaterfallJumper said that doesn't mean much. People should just get Harry out there head. Athleticism plays a huge part so does your makeup/dna, work ethic, play style and how you take to coaching matter just as much.

Harry was a very good college WR that didn't pan out but that doesn't mean we shouldn't go after those types bc one flamed out.

I'm the same height and weight more or less and although I've never done a timed 40, I'd imagine mine would be closer to 45.5 than 4.55
Yea this was a few years ago before getting beat up from work. Learned to appreciate the dynamics of running and how hard you have to work just to shave off a split second off it.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back