PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 OT/PTP Thread

Are Durant and cajuste quality players? Or do they need to upgraded?

Durant is trash. I don't know what the **** Bill saw in that blob.

Cachoo looked ok in TC... but then the games started...

We absolutely, positively do need an Upgrayedd from Both of them.

This draft is pretty weak for left tackles.

The guy I think is the best player in this draft is Neal of alabama and in my mind, he is best at right tackle.

Penning can play left tackle, but the feet are not sweet and could struggle early.

Cross has sweet feet, but lacks functional strength, so while he can keep Jones’s Jersey clean, he gives us nothing much in the run game,

@BaconGrundleCandy - What's your take on BRAXTON JONES OT SOUTHERN UTAH 6’051/306 10 1/8″H-36″A-84 1/4″WS #77 ?

He played on the "American" squad during the East-West Shrine game?
I like him but he's a bit inconsistent, all around for me. He has some beautiful reps and his body is about 10-12 lbs away from being prototype at almost 6'6/310 right now. Plus arm length.

Inconsistent hand usage and placement. At times he'll work and fight for position for 5 seconds moving his guy yards off the ball. Much better as a run blocker in this regard. He just plays better and has his feet under him more. Technique could improve some but he's a very good run blocker. Shoots off the line with some decent explosion. Inconsistent playing with his hips first, gaining leverage but more good than bad. Quick, compact movements, strikes, gaining inside hands and it's usually over from there.
Plus grip strength. Good enough movements - a bit stiff that bothers me a little but you can live with that if he cleans up his hand usage. Footwork is plus imo. Solid drive and leg strength. Also utilizes his arm length more.

Smooth jump off the ball. At times he'll actually take a bit too much ground to make up for his lack of flexibility imo. That'll cause him to make his steps wider. Gets him a bit off balance. Quick feet ability to mirror at times but inconsistent positioning, trying stay to stay square. Sometimes these guys are just taught to play with different body angles. Who am I but I think he could improve with some coaching when it comes to taking on certain rushes. Kind of felt the same while watching Cross.

Much more work to do in pass pro. He's a project in this area. Has to get stronger. Has to learn to sustain blocks. IQ and recognition is there but needs to really make strides in pass pro if he wants to really see the field.

Decent lateral movements, solid power and ability to create torque. This plus his grip strength and nasty demeanor will make for some nice plays. Range is lacking but he can move a little bit.

Plays with the attitude and toughness you want to see. You'll be happy to hear he's pretty good at picking up stunts :) Seems pretty aware of what's happening around him. Sees something does something.

Inconsistent bend. This show up fairly often along with lack of quick change of direction.

Rushers get in his chest too easy. Second level defenders slip his strikes and get into him. He has to get stronger especially in his upper half and add a little weight imo. All this definitely requires some good coaching. OL coaching and strength program. Luckily for us our strength program has always been top notch. Our guys are always on another level in that regard. Every one is strong but NE has a great program. Like Bama in college ahead of the curve in a lot of areas. That's another thing that we need to factor in. Who's developing these guys. What they're capable of and how much time you have to get them on the field.

I think Raimann from Central Michigan is an interesting prospect. 6'6"-310.
He is fairly new to the position moving from TE, but is smart, driven, and has the feet and frame. I'd love to see what Scar could have done with him. Do we still have the type of staff that can mold a guy like this? He's projected 2nd RD.

Are Durant and cajuste quality players? Or do they need to upgraded?

Like @captain stone said Cajuste was much improved this year, but still not great. My guess is he improves again in 2022 and sticks, or fails. I remember him in one game and he was OK. Since he made it to the field, I think there is still hope. When a guy is improving year on year, I like to think patience is called for.

I think Raimann from Central Michigan is an interesting prospect. 6'6"-310.
He is fairly new to the position moving from TE, but is smart, driven, and has the feet and frame. I'd love to see what Scar could have done with him. Do we still have the type of staff that can mold a guy like this? He's projected 2nd RD.
That's something I always think about when doing this. Who's supposed to be developing these prospects.

Raimann is interesting bc he's 25 with shorter arms. Brand new to the position. You definitely need to feel secure about who's handling him.

That's something I always think about when doing this. Who's supposed to be developing these prospects.

Raimann is interesting bc he's 25 with shorter arms. Brand new to the position. You definitely need to feel secure about who's handling him.

I'm interested in seeing how his bookend at CMich Luke Goedeke measures & tests, at the very least for possible Swing Tackle ability... Might still be on the board with our 4th-rounder...

Former Pats Scout Jim Nagy mentioned this guy: Ja'Tyre Carter.

He had a mediocre Combine, but a better Pro-Day.

Ja'Tyre Carter - OT/OG:
6'3 - 311 lbs
Arms: 33 5/8"
Hands: 10 1/4"

First number is from Combine. If there is a second, it's from his Pro Day:
40: 5.13 / 5.04
Bench: -- / 21
Vert: 30" / 34.5"
3 Cone: 7.84
Shuttle: 4.9

Supposedly has really good footwork and foot speed. He also supposedly was able to handle Travis Jones during a practice rep despite being beaten initially. I'd be curious if @BaconGrundleCandy has seen any film on the kid in regards to his technique and hands.

Ja'Tyre Carter - OT/OG:
6'3 - 311 lbs

Supposedly has really good footwork and foot speed. He also supposedly was able to handle Travis Jones during a practice rep despite being beaten initially. I'd be curious if @BaconGrundleCandy has seen any film on the kid in regards to his technique and hands.

The Captain Stone nickname opportunities here …

Last edited:

Ja'Tyre Carter - OT/OG:
6'3 - 311 lbs

I'll come back to this later when I have time. Woke up to my phone not charging so probably have to get a new one after work. He's a decent late RD prospect though.

I'm interested in seeing how his bookend at CMich Luke Goedeke measures & tests, at the very least for possible Swing Tackle ability... Might still be on the board with our 4th-rounder...

32-1/4" arms means that the dude's pro future is at OG, unfortunately.

For whom?

Ja’Tyre …

Agree with you that his future seems likely as a guard, which is certainly a need on the left side right now so who knows maybe he will fit the bill and the hilarity will commence

The future at LT a d LG is to me a significant question mark for this team going into this year. I’m not a big fan of Wynn, too often injured and inconsistent. I know why some people here think Wynn should go to LG, but with his injury history I’d have no particular confidence in him there, and then I don’t see who on their roster can be trusted at LT. I don’t think Mike Onwenu can play on the left side and unless Dejalais surprises us there is a pretty bad set of choices for them there.

The bigger problem for me is about who will coach the OL. The OL was a mess the first part of 2021, especially against fronts that ran stunts. It really didn’t get cleaned until Karras was done inserted. I felt the coaching was not good enough and was not surprised to see Bricillo leave, but now they have a big question mark there. Not good.

I don't mind going OT but I'm not sure the value/talent is there RD1. For where we are at 21 unless Cross falls a ton. I like Penning & Smith but only if Scar is back teaching class. They need major technique work. We'll see but I'd go RD2-3 there if we want a tackle.

Ja'Tyre Carter - OT/OG:
6'3 - 311 lbs

He's really good a really good player that lacks the desired athleticism on tape. What's the saying "slow is smooth smooth is fast?" He's very smooth but there's no juice, no jumping off tape in terms of his movements. Some really nice traits but yea his athleticism isn't there on film. He does a lot of things right but I'm not sure he'd be able to handle NFL speed & agility outside on the edge.

His feet and hands are really good though. No explosion off his slide but he's usually always on time in pass pro. Hands are impressive as well. Has work to work on his timing & placement but he's got decent technique and grip strength. I wonder if someone will try to move him inside to cancel out some of the issues he could have outside. He usually plays with good balance and has the demeanor you want. Has to fill out some and get stronger but I think a move inside might make some sense.

Plus footwork, hands, balance, awareness and IQ. Just not an every down NFL athlete right now. Could definitely full out and get stronger. Clean out some of his strengths to really max out. Like his hands could improve some. Late RD - udfa

So basically he is Damon Denson 2.0. Maybe Chris Grier will snap him up in the 4th round <insert bricks emoji here>

I don't mind going OT but I'm not sure the value/talent is there RD1. For where we are at 21 unless Cross falls a ton. I like Penning & Smith but only if Scar is back teaching class. They need major technique work. We'll see but I'd go RD2-3 there if we want a tackle.

Speaking of 2nd-3rd rounds: does Petit-Frere have a future as a starting-calibre LT?

@BaconGrundleCandy - I know I asked you before and you told me, but I didn't write it down.

What are the measurables that the Patriots look for in their 1st round OT. I know it's a 30" vertical, but was it also a 10' Broad jump? Also I think you said at least 25 on the bench press...

I appreciate all that you do.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back