PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

I thought Shanahan wanted to get a QB that would give him more offensive options than he has with JG. More mobile, more of a run threat. What does Jones give him that's so different than what he has already?
I still think it’s possible, if not likely, that Shanny goes with Fields at 3rd overall for that very reason.

I thought Shanahan wanted to get a QB that would give him more offensive options than he has with JG. More mobile, more of a run threat. What does Jones give him that's so different than what he has already?
I think above all he wants toughness, durability. They're obviously frustrated with Jimmy. Yea I think he wants a more athletic QB but honestly who knows at this point.
One thing I will say is teams often meet with guys they're unsure of, on the fence about. So it could be that. Again who knows this has been a crazy two weeks.

As long as we get waddle, the rest is gravy!

the more offensive receiving weapons we have, the harder it is to put 8 defenders against us in the box to stop our dominate running game.

This right here would drive defenders/defenses mad. Especially with Henry or Smith running up the seam.

Also keep an eye out for the Bears. They recently offered three first round picks, a third rounder, and two unnamed starters in an attempt to trade for Russell Wilson, but the Seahawks declined it. May not have been enough to get Wilson but a package like that could be enough to compel the Falcons or Lions to trade down if a guy like Trey Lance starts to slip. It would be a big gamble that could effect the franchise for many years to come one way or the other.

Last edited:
Also keep an eye out for the Bears. They recently offered three first round picks, a third rounder, and two unnamed starters in an attempt to trade for Russell Wilson, but the Seahawks declined it. May not have been enough to get Wilson but a package like that could be enough to compel the Falcons or Lions to trade down if a guy like Trey Lance starts to slip. It would be a big gamble that could effect the franchise for many years to come one way or the other.
Yup, interesting. They already showed their hand so to speak. Definitely want/need a QB. Have to think they'll offer something similar when time comes near?

Yup, interesting. They already showed their hand so to speak. Definitely want/need a QB. Have to think they'll offer something similar when time comes near?
May very well offer something like that especially with the Niners/Dolphins already setting a precedent cost-wise. I’m curious to see what price they’d be willing to pay and whether they’d put their stakes on Trey Lance or Mac Jones.

1617117761805.png

Other than Mac Jones falling to #15 (seems very unlikely depending on which mock/player rankings you follow), this draft seems like it could be a realistic outcome

Only guy i really didnt know well was Quincy Roche, but was rated highest edge rusher that was on board. If i could do it over I would probably change that pick, but i like all the other picks

@BaconGrundleCandy will you be releasing a positional ranking list out of curiousity?

Sometimes I see Baron Browning going in like Round 5, and other drafts i see him going in rounds 1-2. Alim McNeil goes in rounds 2 - 4ish, etc.. Really tough to understand exactly where some of these players will actually be available in the draft.

I think BB will trade up into round 3

I think BB will trade up into round 3
Seems like a near certainty that they will add a pick between 46 and 96, or keep 109 and package 96 with 120 or 122 and move up even higher.... I don’t have the draft pick value chart handy, so I don’t know how far up they could go with the latter scenario.

nd package 96 with 120 or 122 and move up even higher.

96, 120 & 122 packaged together could hypothetically get them something in the 65-75 range

In my view, the draft is 17 players deep in sure fire first round talent (i.e players we'd be happy to have at the 15 spot).

And the rapid rise of Greg Newsome probably makes it 18 players.

The 18 are the 4 QBs (not Jones), 4 CBs (still have Farley in), 4 OTs including Vera-Tucker, Parsons, Paye, 3 WRs and Pitts.

Outside of these 18, you have players who may drop into the 2nd round, or a player like Mac Jones who will go in the 1st, but I don't have him the caliber of player as the top 18.

Togiai second rd. pick? @BaconGrundleCandy do you think he can develop into a 3 down linemen cause some see him only as a two down run stopper for A/B Gap penetration.

I think there was some posts approx a month ago that Togiai was one to watch for draft day.
Yup I remember we talked about him here after he dominated against clemson. He could be an interesting addition on day 2 if he can develop some pass rush. I think he has not much experience as a starter so I guess it's fine he hasn't develop a lot yet. Not the tallest but good strength so i guess he could be a future 3 T run stopper at least.

Both BB and McDaniels at the Alabama pro day. Intriguing.

Fields ran a 4.44 unofficial over at Ohio State. He's like a young Newton, but faster. Exciting player.

We're about a month out, and I still have no idea how this one is going to go. Last year, I was sure that we would trade down and take a safety, double up at TE, etc, and more or less had a good feel for what made sense in terms of team composition and available talent. This year I keep flip-flopping between scenarios. Maybe we'll get a clearer picture closer to the day, but the murkiness is entertaining even if I prefer certainty.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back