PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

Question for all. There's going to be a lot of talent and decisions to be made so let's go through some WR/DL scenarios since both are big needs.

Are you double dipping? Chase or Waddle paired with one of the Moore's? Barmore or Paye with Shelvin or McNeill?

One of each? Personally I'm going offense round one possibly round two depending if I can really get E Moore. I think he goes round one, top 40 but weirder things have happened.

Paye & Oweh would give me feelings! Those two coming off the edge?!! It's tough bc of how often we use 1/2 IDL-DL but those two are a super intriguing pair together!

Where you going?

Let's say Waddle, Chase, Barmore, Paye are on the the board at 15. Who are we taking?

Now follow through with that answer, this time in the 2nd round. T Wallace, one of the Moore's, St Brown along with Oweh, Sample, Turner, Shelvin, McNeill & Brown.
Who you got?
We absolutely MUST double-dip at WR, one before the end of Day 2 & the other before the end of Round 6, preferably one who operates inside the hash marks & one who operates outside of them...The results of the free agency frenzy will determine for me which should be drafted ahead of the other...

If JaMarr Chase is somehow still available at #15, then I'm running to the podium to turn in his name; otherwise I might take Kwitty Paye ahead of the other two...If Chase is indeed the pick at #15, and ass-uming Zaven Collins is already gone by #46, then I'm looking at either DT Alim McNeill there or the best available DE...

We should probably double-dip at DE as well as grab at least one wide-body DT...

Last edited:
Impressive, but would Bill be OK spending a 2nd-rounder on him to have edge-setting responsibilities in our 2-4 front at barely 245 lbs?

I like this kid from Georgia a lot. Bb would probably use him situationally the first year and after a season in our strength and conditioning program, he might ready to start. He is that talented.

Impressive, but would Bill be OK spending a 2nd-rounder on him to have edge-setting responsibilities in our 2-4 front at barely 245 lbs?
He's a tough one and projecting guys that play on the line in that front is tough as well.
I wonder if this now makes him a viable candidate at Left Tackle...?
I like him a lot and think teams will try him at tackle first and second. He's explosive off the snap, decent footwork and + hands. Nasty power player. Has mirror ability on the edge but fluid, bendy guys that can counter with quickness might give him problems. Not sure he's our type but I think he's a really good player for a long time.
We absolutely MUST double-dip at WR, one before the end of Day 2 & the other before the end of Round 6, preferably one who operates inside the hash marks & one who operates outside of them...The results of the free agency frenzy will determine for me which should be drafted ahead of the other...

If JaMarr Chase is somehow still available at #15, then I'm running to the podium to turn in his name; otherwise I might take Kwitty Paye ahead of the other two...If Chase is indeed the pick at #15, and ass-uming Zaven Collins is already gone by #46, then I'm looking at either DT Alim McNeill there or the best available DE...

We should probably double-dip at DE as well as grab at least one wide-body DT...
We should have a better idea in a week or so, no? The FA DL/defensive class ain't bad. Hopefully we come away with a few decent additions.

Last edited:
Yea I don't think I'll have Barmore IDL1. Lots of good options but no game wreckers. Just had him bc I know a lot like him and he'd be brought up if not there.

I probably should have mentioned Twywin, think he might be undervalued a bit.
I like Twyman for 5 rd. value or sth. a lot. Using a later rd. pick for an possible IDL pass rusher prospect is worth the shot. He needs some work for technique and moves and doesn't look like a three down linemen for us but if he can help on third down it would be nice. I also don't think Twyman is the best fit

Just saw Davis Mills player comparison on nfl.com...
BB9017DD-A9E8-4211-9AF4-63F6EC887171.jpeg
Gonna stop mocking him here now...
No Way Abandon Thread GIF

View attachment 30944
However and I’m sad about this for Stidham the difference in scouting reports is he is unfazed about the pass rush and calmly delivers balls on the money while being hit.
Said he has a cannon has good movement in the pocket with a very fast release.
I’m still on the Mills wagon over Jones.
I think he has more upside and has a better arm.
Chris Simms report on Kellen Mond being the most natural passer in this draft has caught my attention as well.
Makes me wonder if the scheme he was in set him back.
A lot of intrigue

I think I rate the rookies like this
Wilson
Lance
Fields
Mills
Jones
Mond
Davis
No shot at Lawrence I can dream about Wilson but I will hate watching the Jets have a good team with him.

I don't know about Kellen Mond, he seems a bit robotic and unable to improvise. He does have a picture perfect motion though and throws the ball beautifully, especially on intermediate passes.

@BaconGrundleCandy - I asked way back if you'd go Waddle in the 1st with a D in the second. I've given it a LOT of thought and I just don't see BB making another early round commitment to WR. I think that he'll go his usual route of adding a veteran receiver or two in FA while drafting a WR later in the draft

The way I see it is this. The Pats will know by then what the situation at LG, C, and RT will be.
They'll already have the QB position taken care of for this year.
Herron showed he was a more than capable swing tackle as a rookie and I see him just getting better. I can see him being a better version of Tom Ashworth. He'll step in and give you steady, quality reps. He won't be an All-Pro, but he won't be such a downgrade either.
The questions at Tackle are who is behind Wynn, Cannon and Herron. Cajuste and Cunningham are question marks. Cajuste has already lost 2 seasons to his injury.. There is no telling if he'll ever play or whether he'll be effective. Cunningham was the 8th O-lineman dressed and saw time on special teams. Beyond that he's a gigantic question mark.

Paye and Collins are two guys who would help improve the defense. Both with Speed and starting ability.
If they're gone, I see BB trading down and adding an OT later in the 1st. Hopefully, he'd net a 2nd round pick in the deal so that they could add more parts there.

View attachment 30944
It's not a bad comp. Comp's are for style purposes. Not, this is who this player is, sort of thing. Or this is how he'll turn out. At least that's how I take them.

I hate writing and reading "scouting reports" tbh. I don't believe each player fits into the same boxes as anyone else so I just do notes unless I write up someone on here. Plus they all sound alike to me? I start reading a few and they're all very similar? Anyway this is from my notes ....

Has very good overall pocket presence and feel. Best traits-attribute?? Works his area with some command and knows when to hang tough or scramble. Feel for pressure and overall presence is +. Easy to see he's more comfortable on the move. Escapes on time but has some patience and eyes are downfield. No panic.

Big time improvements from last year. Quicker, sharper, better accuracy, better on the move, placement & timing. Obviously put some work. Physicality and mentally he looks good.

Arm talent improved but isn't special. Has to continue to work on and improve his timing and be quicker with his movements. Delivery can be quicker. Timing and throwing anticipation has to improve and get a little quicker - Needs a year in the film room & practice field with a pro. Progressions and concepts are a work in progress - comfortable with man/seeing man match - working leverage routes - can see some easy zone before it develops but has to get quicker just pulling trigger not everything is going to develop. Take easy hits. It's his game. Quick shots vs man. Solid running game coming off PA. Can put him on the move a few times.

Mobility is good enough. Pro speed will be an adjustment but he knows his role? Isn't going to running but scrambling.

Issues with batted passes if he Isn't quicker? Ask someone smart.

Tough kid that will hang in pocket, can see him on the move for tough yards. Big time "want to". He can lead .. eventually. 10 starts?? Looks the part physically and mentally ... at times. Needs experience.

Big time potential if the progress continues from 2020. Showed a lot in a crazy year. Like the toughness, drive & improvement I saw in almost every game this year.

It's not a bad comp. Comp's are for style purposes. Not, this is who this player is, sort of thing. Or this is how he'll turn out. At least that's how I take them.

I hate writing and reading "scouting reports" tbh. I don't believe each player fits into the same boxes as anyone else so I just do notes unless I write up someone on here. Plus they all sound alike to me? I start reading a few and they're all very similar? Anyway this is from my notes ....

Has very good overall pocket presence and feel. Best traits-attribute?? Works his area with some command and knows when to hang tough or scramble. Feel for pressure and overall presence is +. Easy to see he's more comfortable on the move. Escapes on time but has some patience and eyes are downfield. No panic.

Big time improvements from last year. Quicker, sharper, better accuracy, better on the move, placement & timing. Obviously put some work. Physicality and mentally he looks good.

Arm talent improved but isn't special. Has to continue to work on and improve his timing and be quicker with his movements. Delivery can be quicker. Timing and throwing anticipation has to improve and get a little quicker - Needs a year in the film room & practice field with a pro. Progressions and concepts are a work in progress - comfortable with man/seeing man match - working leverage routes - can see some easy zone before it develops but has to get quicker just pulling trigger not everything is going to develop. Take easy hits. It's his game. Quick shots vs man. Solid running game coming off PA. Can put him on the move a few times.

Mobility is good enough. Pro speed will be an adjustment but he knows his role? Isn't going to running but scrambling.

Issues with batted passes if he Isn't quicker? Ask someone smart.

Tough kid that will hang in pocket, can see him on the move for tough yards. Big time "want to". He can lead .. eventually. 10 starts?? Looks the part physically and mentally ... at times. Needs experience.

Big time potential if the progress continues from 2020. Showed a lot in a crazy year. Like the toughness, drive & improvement I saw in almost every game this year.
Absolutely Agree, I would 100% take him in the 3rd if he was there. More of an inside joke with Patsfans:rofl::rofl:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back