PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

If they were interested in trading up for a WR, I think Chase would be the guy. Does everything well for where he’s at in his career, a technician, crisp route runner, and an excellent route tree already coming out of college.
Smith & Chase are the only guys I have a 1st on but would be more than ok with Waddle too.

I actually would be a little surprised if all were gone by the time we get on board. If Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson can fall I'm hoping one of them do.

I think Chase, Smith and Waddle are well ahead of all the other prospects at WR. But I also think there is real depth and variety to be had in this WR class, so hopefully we finally land someone who sticks.

Smith & Chase are the only guys I have a 1st on but would be more than ok with Waddle too.

I actually would be a little surprised if all were gone by the time we get on board. If Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson can fall I'm hoping one of them do.
It’s a deep WR class. If they were going to make a selection at 15 other than QB, I’d rather it be DL or LB. Parsons or Collins would make immediate impacts here.

It’s a deep WR class. If they were going to make a selection at 15 other than QB, I’d rather it be DL or LB. Parsons or Collins would make immediate impacts here.
Idk in terms of value I don't think there's any IDL (if that's what you specifically) worth that pick. Parsons or Collins would be an easier pick I guess.

WR is deep but we're as thin as anything there. And there's clear cut top heavy talent whereas a guy like Barmore still has a ways to go before he's an impact player. Us not having a QB isn't helping but I'm not passing on the better prospect/value and reaching for IDL. You miss out on Barmore, go Onwuzrike in round two or Tufele, Nixon or Brown.

I'd like to see us land one of the 4 QB's after Lawrence & Zav Collins. Do what they have to do to land them. Use FA's & remaining draft picks to fill as many of the many holes as possible with the rest. All holes won't be filled this year but we can become competitive for playoff spot.

I think Chase, Smith and Waddle are well ahead of all the other prospects at WR. But I also think there is real depth and variety to be had in this WR class, so hopefully we finally land someone who sticks.

Just food for thought: Elijah Moore had more yards per game than DeVonta Smith. 149 vs 143.

*2020AlabamaSECSRWR13117185615.923

vs

*2020Ole MissSECJRWR886119313.98

The touchdown difference is pretty remarkable, true, and I still think Smith is the superior player, but Smith was also a Senior with a top notch college QB. Moore has arguably put up better numbers (sans touchdowns/YPC) for each of their respective years in college.

Lots of intriguing options in this year's WR class. I don't know if we'll spring for one early, but there are multiple of almost every prototype. When I look at other positions, I'm not sure I have such rosy feelings about their depth in the draft. That's why I keep coming back to one of the top QBs, or a trade down and grab Z Collins.

That said, between work and a growing family, I'm way behind this year compared with most years, and I'll probably never have the time for it that I did with only a couple children. My brood keeps me busy, and I'm okay with the tradeoff. :)

I'd like to see us land one of the 4 QB's after Lawrence & Zav Collins. Do what they have to do to land them. Use FA's & remaining draft picks to fill as many of the many holes as possible with the rest. All holes won't be filled this year but we can become competitive for playoff spot.
If we don't get a QB or + player at 15 im hoping for a trade into 2022 and get a 3rd or 4th this year.

We could still use our 2nd & 3rd this year to get back up into the 30's if we wanted and have a few mid round picks to play around with. Plus maybe we get lucky and someone gives up a top 40-50 pick for Gilly.

On Trask, don't try running like that in the NFL. You'll get killed.
I really like Trask but his immobility is just a killer. Every movement is tough for him.

If we don't get a QB or + player at 15 im hoping for a trade into 2022 and get a 3rd or 4th this year.

We could still use our 2nd & 3rd this year to get back up into the 30's if we wanted and have a few mid round picks to play around with. Plus maybe we get lucky and someone gives up a top 40-50 pick for Gilly.
I don't have a problem with your proposal. I just want us to get some of the most important needs taken care of. I would add C/G Landon ****erson to my hopes. BTW I mostly never hit on those hopes :)

For those that dk or remember ...

The “Parcells Rules”​

• He must be a senior. No.
  • He must be a graduate. No.
  • He must be a three-year starter. No.
  • He must have at least 23 wins. No.

The “extras”​

• He must start 30 games. No.
  • He must complete 60% of his passes. Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • He must have a 2:1 TD-to-INT ratio. Are 30 touchdowns to 1 interception good?

If memory serves, he had to have a 26 minimum on the Wonderlic.

Also, isn't starting at 26 games? That kinda 2 years.

I prefer the Bill Walsh rule. Draft a quarterback every year. It's by far the most important position and the hardest to project from college. If it means burning through a few draft picks or hitting on a guy but not being able to sign him to a big contract because you've already got a starter, so what? When you need a quarterback, you really need a quarterback!
And it makes a ton of sense when you consider that vet backups are paid of heap of money these days. You just have to hope that one of the 4 guys you drafted in any cycle can actually come in and win you games.

Just food for thought: Elijah Moore had more yards per game than DeVonta Smith. 149 vs 143.

*2020AlabamaSECSRWR13117185615.923

vs

*2020Ole MissSECJRWR886119313.98

The touchdown difference is pretty remarkable, true, and I still think Smith is the superior player, but Smith was also a Senior with a top notch college QB. Moore has arguably put up better numbers (sans touchdowns/YPC) for each of their respective years in college.
One of the most intriguing things about Smith for me is how he showed up as their Number 1 WR in big games. He was unstoppable against OSU, ND, LSU and Florida. He had 11 TD's in these 4 games and not less than 130 Yards. Even two games with more than 200 yards. This always makes me value a player a bit higher. ( I admit LSU wasn't the best competition but still better than the DB some other WR have faced.) Same counts for Elijah Moore. He had good games against Bama, South Carolina and Florida. He should be definetly a second rd. to me
Lots of intriguing options in this year's WR class. I don't know if we'll spring for one early, but there are multiple of almost every prototype. When I look at other positions, I'm not sure I have such rosy feelings about their depth in the draft. That's why I keep coming back to one of the top QBs, or a trade down and grab Z Collins.

That said, between work and a growing family, I'm way behind this year compared with most years, and I'll probably never have the time for it that I did with only a couple children. My brood keeps me busy, and I'm okay with the tradeoff. :)

I don't have a problem with your proposal. I just want us to get some of the most important needs taken care of. I would add C/G Landon ****erson to my hopes. BTW I mostly never hit on those hopes :)
There are 3-4 guys with serious potential to be in the top 10 C conversation in a few years if health permits and they have a little luck.
I've had a little luck with hitting on prospects but only a few have really panned out. It's tough.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back