PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

Pitts will be out of our range, but I could see Trask and/or Toney. Toney can line up as the X, Y, or Z. He can come out of the backfield as well. I think that, if we take him, he will start as a kick returner first since he also has experience there. He’s a Swiss Army knife.

I love Nixon, but as a 3-tech. I don’t think he has enough sand in his ass to line up at the nose at this level. Tufele might be able to hold up there, but I didn’t see enough of him there this season to make a judgment on that front. Barmore is my personal favorite DT, and I’d expect us to be very interested if he falls to us. Plays in a similar scheme, under a similarly demanding HC, and can line up as the 0-3 tech and do damage. What do you think of a double dip with Jordan Davis in the late rounds, @BaconGrundleCandy?

Pitts will be out of our range, but I could see Trask and/or Toney. Toney can line up as the X, Y, or Z. He can come out of the backfield as well. I think that, if we take him, he will start as a kick returner first since he also has experience there. He’s a Swiss Army knife.

I love Nixon, but as a 3-tech. I don’t think he has enough sand in his ass to line up at the nose at this level. Tufele might be able to hold up there, but I didn’t see enough of him there this season to make a judgment on that front. Barmore is my personal favorite DT, and I’d expect us to be very interested if he falls to us. Plays in a similar scheme, under a similarly demanding HC, and can line up as the 0-3 tech and do damage. What do you think of a double dip with Jordan Davis in the late rounds, @BaconGrundleCandy?
I think Pitts might be available for a reasonable trade up if 4-5 QBs go top ten along with a few tackles. Maybe Chase or Waddle. He won't make it past 10-12 though without medicals or something else happening.

I think Toney can give reps outside but he'll make his money inside imo. I'm really interested to see him run and test.

Agreed of the IDL/DT. See Nixon, Barmore, Tufele and a few of the rest of those guys all seem like the multiple guys we like. 3,4,5 techs. Motor. I think Nixon or Barmore will be the first off the board.

I'd love a double dip. Honestly either a fatty like a Davis, Slaton, Merrill or Tonga with a Stills, Tufele or Nixon. Even two guys like Barmore & Stills. We need more disruption up front.

What do you think of T Slaton? T Grimes mid-late rounds.

@fightingirish595 more than a few top 100 ND prospects the next few years. That team will be well represented one the next few years.

mostly o line guys? If Buchner pans out he could be a first round pick. Hamilton obviously. Mayer. The 2019 class was top heavy with oline guys that should start to emerge.

this year Is a few guys on the line and JOK

I think Pitts might be available for a reasonable trade up if 4-5 QBs go top ten along with a few tackles. Maybe Chase or Waddle. He won't make it past 10-12 though without medicals or something else happening.

I think Toney can give reps outside but he'll make his money inside imo. I'm really interested to see him run and test.

Agreed of the IDL/DT. See Nixon, Barmore, Tufele and a few of the rest of those guys all seem like the multiple guys we like. 3,4,5 techs. Motor. I think Nixon or Barmore will be the first off the board.

I'd love a double dip. Honestly either a fatty like a Davis, Slaton, Merrill or Tonga with a Stills, Tufele or Nixon. Even two guys like Barmore & Stills. We need more disruption up front.

What do you think of T Slaton? T Grimes mid-late rounds.
Slaton honestly never impressed me. Even when he came back this year, the run D was still a sieve. Pushed around way too often. Looks like he was too high at the point of attack and lost pad leverage too easily. Not a very good technician to overcome that, either. Now Grimes? Sure. Depending on what he runs. He was often the forgotten man in our offense but made some huge plays for us. Vertical threat that can work underneath and in the intermediate areas of the field. He also has great instincts for when to high point a ball when one-on-one.

Incredible effort
Just curious why you are copying your entire Draft Forum work and pasting it in this forum?

Incredible effort
Just curious why you are copying your entire Draft Forum work and pasting it in this forum?
Probably to test out how unappreciated it will be. I don’t think most of the people who post on the main board follow college ball. They just show up on draft night and tell everyone that BB and his scouts watch a lot of tape, so they have faith in some prospect they’ve never heard of up until the time he’s drafted.

Thanks brother and good post. There's probably like 6-8 realistic options for us and if not I'd trade back and go for multiple picks in round two.

So it's draft season and that means ...

I knew about his uncle but haven't heard anything truly negative about him. If things check out Id trade up to 8-12 for him or Lance. Both are tiny projects but we need a QB and both are super intriguing. I don't have a good feeling about Fields tbh. Flashes but too slow with too much. Lance has some issues like Wilson but their peaks are legit and look like NFL QB's.

I love Waddle. His acceleration, top end speed and elusivness are top tier. He really is a problem. Might never catch 100 balls but he's a threat to the end zone anytime he has the ball.

Smith is a technician who I'd prefer to trade down a little but definitely a first round talent. Wins in a lot of ways. Chase is more of a bully. Again if like to trade back for him. As of now I think I'm Smith/Waddle/Pitts > Chase.

Id trade up to 10-12 if Sewell were there. He's so athletic, nasty and has so much potential. I think Bill would love Parsons on the field but not sure about the attitude. Heard Parsons thinks he's the greatest but sometimes that's not that big a deal and overblown.

Paye is a wildcard but definitely someone we'd love to have and our type.

I think we have 4-5 1st round grades on OL too. Thuney is a big domino. Hopefully we resign him but even though we might decide to go in that direction too. Maybe RT?

thank you really appreciate it..
i did not know this maybe personal issues with wilson tbh..don't know how much i would value this..i mean its important to have the locker room behind you, guys fighting for you, i think during the combine and personal conversation the scouts will find that out..
Even though we have many holes i wouldn't mind a trade up for one of the qb's. I agree with you on fields, it feels like he did not develop this pocket awareness i value a lot and kind of tries to throw more downfield than sometimes a short pass but safe completion. with his feet he should escape better from pressure. Maybe we are considering Ridder with a 2/3 and give him a real playmaker in the first.
Waddle would be awesome. Not that we would have a deep threat (i know byrd has decent speed for that as well) but we can use his speed in so many ways, like screens that kind of stuff and the defense is gonna fear that deep threat which should open up the middle a bit for the slot/TE/run game. Idk about his injury though always a little bit risky..
Smith is probably the guy i like most. Looks like a true number 1 to me. Gets constanly separation, great route runner, patient, nice speed for deep balls as well, and td threat. Idk how we value his lack of weight though. Chase is also really nice option for a WR No.1, i remember the game against AJ Terrell who is probably one of the better cb's in last years class, at least his play got better and Chase just destroyd him.
Don't know if the WR will be available after trade down tbh, looks like offense heavy draft early on while not much defense player are showing that they can be true playmaker.

I think Sewell will be Number 3 off the board if the bengals are picking there. Value and Need meets there really good.

It seems like there are quit a few "wildcards" there tbh. Guys like JOK, Collins maybe better value after a trade down.

Yeah O-Line has some question marks. I don't really expect a Thuney resigning. Maybe Andrews. If we continue to built the o line like recent years i think Onwenu could stay at RT spot and get a more athletic guy for LG? Maybe idk. Vera-Tucker would be a great pass pro and value there in the second to me. The center Humphrey and Myers don't look like best fit high second round guys. We should target a guy who can play center/Guard. Like you mentioned Vera-Tucker a guy who is playing LT this season can be a type we like. He isn't the mauler in the running game but with onwenu and mason our right side are tough run blocker.

To the IDL question Kontra asked (i know not me, just find it interesting):
If we don't resign Butler i would like Barmore but he doesnt't look like the early down run stopper we also need. That's why i like your idea of a douple dip there with Davis/Shelvin two down run stuffer, two gap guy. Barmore's frame is build for disruption 6'5 310 sth around that i like it

I love Leatherwood. Do you think he can make the transition to LG? I think he played some RG early at Bama. Could be dominating in the run game and is a solid pass blocker, OT experience so Guard should be fine for him in pass pro

Probably to test out how unappreciated it will be. I don’t think most of the people who post on the main board follow college ball. They just show up on draft night and tell everyone that BB and his scouts watch a lot of tape, so they have faith in some prospect they’ve never heard of up until the time he’s drafted.
I love college football, its always fun to watch and see players in college and compare them later how they play in the nfl. College football has so many nice designed plays and lots of scores great stuff

Bacon, are you getting paid for this yet? Seriously, it is such a waste that most football fans in general don't know where to get access to your top tier content.

We should only consider high draft picks that the staff has good credible history of success at, like DE, DT, LB, or OLine. If any picks involve any inkling of Josh McDaniels' opinion or involvement then just trade the pick away instead.

Thanks, BCG this draft prospect list is JUST what I needed to excite my passions at a time of low ebb. But here's the problem. So many VERY intriguing prospect and so few picks. If we were able to wind up with just 2 of the picks you prominently mentioned it will be a miracle.

A few idle thoughts. Just speaking in generalities this should be our first concern.....and our second, and our third. SPEED. Speed at WR, Speed at LB, Speed on the defensive outside. For me to truly be happy after the draft I will want to think that after our picks are all in, and initial FA's signed, I can safely project that this a significantly faster team than this year's edition.

My guess is that we are going to end up 7-9 and picking between 14-18 in the draft. Looking at our draft capital I can see us move up 4 spots if there is a MUST have guy there. But while I can see there being a lot of good players in that range, our needs are just too great to lose one or more of our second or 3rd round picks to move up. Assuming we are picking at say 16 there WILL be one of the top LB's, DT, WR's OT's available, and as you mentioned there WILL be solid prospects in rounds 2 -4 that will answers some of our questions.

For this season, when we are more than just one player away, why tie up a good hunk of our draft capital on just one pick. Lets use them all and if we want to move up, lets do it in rounds 2-4 when the cost isn't that great.

The QB position - and while I believe that history will show that there will be a QB or 2 from this draft that isn't named Lawrence or Fields, that will end up being a good to great player, the fact is that most of those taken after these 2 WON'T be. It is hard to evaluate processing speed and field vision, and those are really the 2 talents that separate good from mediocre...or bad. I'd rather take my chances on finding somebody in the existing secondary market and find the gem who you can coach up to being a quality guy. A guy who's just been in the wrong system, or badly coached, etc. But someone you at least have NFL film on..

Matthew Stafford excites me the most, mostly because he'd only cost $9MM next year and clearly has some talent. Could he throw off a decade of losing remains to be seen, but it's an interesting risk given the alternative. Bottom Line: I just don't see any of the "intriguing" QB prospects dropping to the Pats at "16" and those that do will likely be a project who will need a year or 2 on the bench if they are going to have any chance to succeed. If that's the case, why not pick one in the 3rd or 4th round and let them wait.

I want the 2 players we pick in the first and 2nd round to be guys who will get significant snaps right out of the box. That is NOT going to be a QB.

mostly o line guys? If Buchner pans out he could be a first round pick. Hamilton obviously. Mayer. The 2019 class was top heavy with oline guys that should start to emerge.

this year Is a few guys on the line and JOK
Yep but Hamilton & Mayer look like standouts at their spots. Look like future top 30-40 picks. Few other OL guys to after this wave of guys. You guys will have a decent representation.
Slaton honestly never impressed me. Even when he came back this year, the run D was still a sieve. Pushed around way too often. Looks like he was too high at the point of attack and lost pad leverage too easily. Not a very good technician to overcome that, either. Now Grimes? Sure. Depending on what he runs. He was often the forgotten man in our offense but made some huge plays for us. Vertical threat that can work underneath and in the intermediate areas of the field. He also has great instincts for when to high point a ball when one-on-one.
Yea maybe a like Slaton a bit too much even as a 4th-5th round gamble. I like Grimes in that area as well.

You think Phillips has a role here? Our type?

I love Leatherwood. Do you think he can make the transition to LG? I think he played some RG early at Bama. Could be dominating in the run game and is a solid pass blocker, OT experience so Guard should be fine for him in pass pro
Yea he played a full season or close to it at RG. I really like Leatherwood a lot. His work ethic and play style. Hes a pro and that's one of things you get when buying Bama players. I honestly think he could play tackle or guard. Good athlete, good footwork/anchor, prides himself on not getting beat and doing the little things right.
thank you really appreciate it..
i did not know this maybe personal issues with wilson tbh..don't know how much i would value this..i mean its important to have the locker room behind you, guys fighting for you, i think during the combine and personal conversation the scouts will find that out..
Yup I'm taking it with a grain of salt and really don't care as long as he's a worker and football player. His teammates obviously love him. People are too quick to judge these kids and a lot of them come from backgrounds like this. Can't hold it against a poor kid. Can't hold it against a rich kid as long as he's working.
Even though we have many holes i wouldn't mind a trade up for one of the qb's. I agree with you on fields, it feels like he did not develop this pocket awareness i value a lot and kind of tries to throw more downfield than sometimes a short pass but safe completion. with his feet he should escape better from pressure. Maybe we are considering Ridder with a 2/3 and give him a real playmaker in the first.
Id love Ridder in the early 2nd I think he goes earlier than most expect. Agreed with Wilson/Lance.
Waddle would be awesome. Not that we would have a deep threat (i know byrd has decent speed for that as well) but we can use his speed in so many ways, like screens that kind of stuff and the defense is gonna fear that deep threat which should open up the middle a bit for the slot/TE/run game. Idk about his injury though always a little bit risky..
Smith is probably the guy i like most. Looks like a true number 1 to me. Gets constanly separation, great route runner, patient, nice speed for deep balls as well, and td threat. Idk how we value his lack of weight though. Chase is also really nice option for a WR No.1, i remember the game against AJ Terrell who is probably one of the better cb's in last years class, at least his play got better and Chase just destroyd him.
Don't know if the WR will be available after trade down tbh, looks like offense heavy draft early on while not much defense player are showing that they can be true playmaker.
Id be happy with any of the big 3-4 WR. Even Chase who I'm a little lower on than most. Hes a beast at times. Isn't afraid to get physical anywhere on the field.
I think Sewell will be Number 3 off the board if the bengals are picking there. Value and Need meets there really good.
100%
It seems like there are quit a few "wildcards" there tbh. Guys like JOK, Collins maybe better value after a trade down.
LB has a few on them. Small projects that could be very good overall in 2 years.
Yeah O-Line has some question marks. I don't really expect a Thuney resigning. Maybe Andrews. If we continue to built the o line like recent years i think Onwenu could stay at RT spot and get a more athletic guy for LG? Maybe idk. Vera-Tucker would be a great pass pro and value there in the second to me. The center Humphrey and Myers don't look like best fit high second round guys. We should target a guy who can play center/Guard. Like you mentioned Vera-Tucker a guy who is playing LT this season can be a type we like. He isn't the mauler in the running game but with onwenu and mason our right side are tough run blocker.

To the IDL question Kontra asked (I know not me, just find it interesting):
If we don't resign Butler i would like Barmore but he doesnt't look like the early down run stopper we also need. That's why i like your idea of a douple dip there with Davis/Shelvin two down run stuffer, two gap guy. Barmore's frame is build for disruption 6'5 310 sth around that i like it

Incredible effort
Only thing I copied from the draft forum was a few notes on Ridder and report on Smith I believe. Everything else is new. None of this was in the DF.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back